VW Golf GT TDI - Paddydd
Hi All

I do hope you can help me as I am at my wits end.

I bought a VW Golf Mark 5 in December 2004. When I went to collect the car, the doors didn't fit properly, nor did they close properly either. There were a few other little things, but the doors were the main problem. The dealership, said that they would take the car into the dealership and try to fix it.

After 3 days, the car came back and the door were still massively out of alignment. The VW garage, said they would get me another car.

In March, the new one came. Initially, there was a problem with the centre console cover, which was badly marked. I pointed this out to the salesman, who offered to replace the part, straight away, with a second hand part out of another car. I refused and waited three weeks for a new part.

Then the Alarm failed, due to a faulty siren. This was fixed, however a week after it being fixed, a new fault appeared. Everytime I went over a bump, the was a vibration and rattle, which progressive got worse. This took 5 times in the garage to find, and it was diagnosed as a faulty bracket behind the dashboard, which had incorrectly fitted during manufacture. Whilst it was in the garage, they also found that the CV joint was leaking grease heavily and had to be replaced.

Whilst it was in the garage, the car was also damaged, by a mechanic opening the door into the side of mine, leaving a dint on it.

About a month ago, during the good weather, I noticed some discolouration in the paintwork on the passenger door. It was like the black, was slightly grey. I thought it was dirt, but polishing and washing has had no effect. It is only noticable, when the sunlight is on the car.

About two weeks ago, the alarm failed again. It has been diagnosed as the Alarm siren again. This was the last straw. I have gone back to VW to demand my money back. I paid £17,000 for the car and I am absolutely fed up with it and I have no confidence in the car. Its fine to drive, but it keeps going wrong.

Now, there appears to be a squeak in the front suspension aswell, when I go over a speed hump.

Can I demand my money back or another car ? Overall, at the moment the car has been in the dealership 10 times in 5 months and the last 3 problems have not been fixed, as I don't want the car anymore.

I do hope you can help me, as I really am fed up with it all now. All I want is a car that works properly. Having taken delivery of 2 cars, you would think that one of them would be OK. Am I asking for too much ? The car has only done 3k miles and is 5.5 months old now.

Can I demand my money back under the Sale Of Goods Act 1994 ?

Many Thanks

VW Golf GT TDI - AngryJonny
A quick Google came up with this:

www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/buyingacar/

I'd consider your car faulty enough to be rejected, though the dint in the door is nothing to do with whether the car was fit for the purpose, even if it's the mechanic that did it. Certainly the alarm, bracket, centre console,

The question is if, after 5 months, you're still in a position to reject it. I'd imagine you should be ok at the moment.

You're well within your rights to ask for your money back. Put a well-written letter together stating your case. They may well dispute your case though, in which case you'll have to see them in court.
VW Golf GT TDI - kenl
Good info here:

www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm