HGVs and spray - Badger
I've just done a trip down the M6, from the Lakes to Lancashire, in heavy rain. The main hazard was the impenetrable banks of spray put up by the HGVs.

This got me wondering. Wasn't there, at one time at least, a requirement for heavies to be fitted with 'skirts' or curtains alongside the wheels to reduce spray? Whatever happened to that? Nothing I encountered today appeared to have any such measure in place, and the levels of spray were unbelievable.

Or is my senile decay getting senilier?
HGVs and spray - frazerjp
As far as im aware there is a requirement for lorries to have these guards along the wheels like giant mudflaps but from the sounds of things these dont seem to work today Badger!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
HGVs and spray - Truckersunite
They have to be fitted with normal spray/mudguards, some are now fitted with a device called "Spatz" all it is is another bit added onto the open side of the mudguard. To be honest there is not alot that can be done that isnt already done. Adding anymore bits on is just more parts to be ripped off on loading bays and speed ramps, so equaling more expense. It also dosen't help that the "Tram Lines" on the nearside lane hold water so there is more to throw up.

If you can find a cheap and indestructible way to do it you will become a millionaire!!!!
HGVs and spray - Badger
Thanks, Truckers. To be fair, there really was a huge amount of water sloshing around lane 1. I was just puzzled that those skirts that look like a big draught-excuder were no longer in evidence.
HGVs and spray - Truckersunite
The other alternative is to drive a truck, that way you are sat up above it all and have a good view ahead. ;o)
HGVs and spray - David Horn
Trucks don't seem to throw out a huge amount of water behind them, it's only passing cars that seem to get drenched.
HGVs and spray - Badger
Sure -- it's overtaking that's the problem.