Trade In - redboy1976
I am looking to trade in my car in a few weeks. According to Parkers the price i should be looking at is around £1200 at the mileage. My question for the forum is that I have a minor cosmetic crease on the front wing, and a crack in the bumper. How much is reasonable to expect to be knocked off as a result of these. Otherwise car in good nick, service history, averasge miles etc.
Trade In - Blue {P}
I wouldn't expect them to knock too much off for the crease etc.

What is the age and model of your car?

The only words of warning I would give are don't necessarily expect to get what Parkers quote, in my experience their figures are often very optimistic...

Blue
Trade In - redboy1976
It is a Rover 214, 1999. I was surprised it would be worth £1200,that much given recent events.
Trade In - Bill Payer
I guess experiences vary but I found when looking to trade in my wife's 1998 Clio a couple of years ago (against a variety of new cars) that some of the garages didn't even look at it before giving a price, and those that did only gave it a cursory glance. I wondered why I'd even bothered to wash it.
Trade In - Roly93
My advice is dont do it !

There is always a better deal to be had by just buying the new car outright and haggling like mad for the best CASH deal, and then selling your old car privately. Dealers may make it look as though they are giving you a good price for your old car, but you will pay for this on the price of the new car. I understand that there is an element of risk in this strategy, in that you have to 'front'all of the money for your new car, but on several occasions this has saved me £1000+.

On the most recent occasion, I looked at a PX deal on a new car that was £23,000. The cost of changing from my old car would have been £11,500.

By just buying the new car for the best price and selling my old car privately, I actually did it for £8,750 !!

I wasn't put on this earth for keeping the overpriced overstaffed high overhead dealerships in chips and beer !!!