Towball to tow hitch - paulc924
Advice needed please. I have recently fitted a towbar to my car so that I can pull my caravan and on stock car days a car transporter trailer. I have just bought an old trailer this week which rattled badly when towed. I put this rattle down to the fact that the trailer is well balanced and offers no loading on the car when empty. Then a thought struck me-could the hitch be an old 2" cup rather than the later 50mm. The car towball is 50mm. There is no identity on the hitch other than the makers name and its capacity which is 40cwt! Can anyone offer any advice please. Thanks again
Towball to tow hitch - Dartrader
Hi, I once had this problem a few years ago. The ball hitch would knock / rattle. I calculated the difference in size was 32 thou. I just packed the cup with thick grease, this helped a lot. you just have to remember to put the ball cover back on after you have finnished towing, otherwise you end up with grease on your trousers when loading your boot. Can make a mess.
Regards, Dave.
Towball to tow hitch - Cliff Pope
Modern tow couplings I think have a spring-loaded lock that would take up any slight play. Old trailers tend just to have a locking bar or pin to stop the ball jumping out. I agree, thick grease is worth a try.
Actually the trailer is not meant to be perfectly balanced, but have a definite loading at the front - I think 25-50 Kg. Anyway, it should feel decidedly heavy as you hook it on. Try some balast in the front of the trailer. It quietens it and also gives a more stable towing set-up.
Don't forget the legal obligation to have a wire or chain in case the ball breaks or jumps out. If it is an old trailer it certainly won't have the sophisticated modern brakes that self-apply if the trailer has come uncoupled.

PS. for real noise try pulling an unbraked ex-army trailer with a towing eye and a draw-pin!