Troubled conscience - Clanger
Prior to replacing our rusty domestic heating oil tank yesterday, I drained off the 30 or so litres of liquid remaining in the very bottom. Bear with me, kind mods., a motoring link will emerge. Approximately, I got 5 litres of unuseable black sludge and water, which I took to the tip. I put about 5 litres of darkish filtered recognisable oil into my paraffin drum for use in oil lamps when the electricity takes a holiday. So I was left with about 20 litres of crystal clear heating oil which occuped every spare closeable vessel in the garage by the time I had finished. Did I wait until the new plastic domestic oil tank arrives? Er, no, I added it to the 40 litres of diesel already in my car's fuel tank. But, I have a feeling that I need to pay some fuel duty on this. Anyone know if there is a precedent for this? Or should I just forget about it, and take an extra Scotch at night to help me sleep?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Troubled conscience - blue_haddock
Surely as you've paid duty on it as heating oil your OK but i guess there is probably a different level applicable to fuel oil so in theory there may be some difference due to be paid to the tax man.

Now if you'd only kept your gob shut!
Troubled conscience - livefortheday
A friend of mine uses heating oil as opposed to stuff from a petrol station all the time.

It works perfectly (he has a Vectra) diesel, but he would not buy a 4WD of any description as he wanted to minimise the risk of having his tank dipped and the resulting fine. I guess you can take it from this that it is a bit dodgy!
Troubled conscience - VTiredeyes
lol
i would ask the mods to delete this thread, and take the scotch option myself.
Troubled conscience - Cliff Pope
but i guess there is probably a different level applicable
to fuel oil so in theory there may be some difference
due to be paid to the tax man.

Some understatement there, I think!
This rusty tank, does it need draining out very often, or just when your car is a bit low on fuel?
Troubled conscience - NowWheels
Doesn't heating oil have the red dye in it? I thought that the dye lingered for a while, so that even when you'd used up all the dodgy stuff they could still get you cos there was some staining somewhere. (The more I think abt it, I reckon I'm wrong, but that was what I was alwys told)
Troubled conscience - BMDUBYA
If you use any fuel in a car you have to pay the correct level of duty, this has been covered in many a discussion on using veg oil, you will have to pay the appropriate level of duty so contact customs and fill out the multiple page document and go through the lengthy process, alternatively I think that what you meant to say in your orignal post - "I THOUGHT about using it in my car, but would check with the backroomers first". No go get that scotch:-))
Troubled conscience - BMDUBYA
Please check out the details on the following forum for advice on fuel duty...

www.bio-power.co.uk/download.htm
Troubled conscience - David Horn
Thought the idea was that it stained the filter, though believe heating oil is dye-free.
Red diesel is red. Fuel oil, when I last used some in an oil lamp 20 years ago, was a sort of very very pale creamy brown, a bit like petrol.
Troubled conscience - Lounge Lizard
I spent 5 years working in petrochemical analysis during the 80s.

I regularly tested samples of kerosene, diesel, heating oil.

Across most of the chemical analysis; the fuels were identical, or rather they were all within each other's specification ranges.

The only significant variations were the colours / names / uses of the fuels. Colour measurement was one minor part of the analysis and rarely a problem.

My conclusion was that a diesel engine will run on any medium fuel oil that you can find. May be some minor variations in exhaust emissions / long-term engine wear. If in doubt, dilute it with a reasonable amount of proper stuff and see how you get on.

It is, of course, illegal to use fuel in a vehicle on a public road if the duty paid is incorrect. I would also point out that anyone who tries non-standard fuel is taking risks. I would also go easy on lighter kerosenes.
If you use any fuel in a car you have to
pay the correct level of duty,

Not entirely true. There is no duty on electricity, nor on coal in a steam engine. There would probably be no duty payable on burning parafin, or propane, to heat the boiler either.
I think the absolute rule must be that duty is payable on any fuel burnt in an internal combustion engine that is mounted in the car.
There is no duty payable if you generate electricity in an internal combustion engine at home, or at a power station.
Troubled conscience - strowger
If the engine isn't used for propulsion, I'm not sure you have to pay.

Refrigerated vehicles often have a small, diesel engine with a separate red diesel tank to run the fridge.
Troubled conscience - Happy Blue!
Dragging the essence out of between the lines....

Yes you do have to pay duty on all fuel used in motor vehicles on the public highway. Vehicles that only go off road and never on the highway do not need tax discs, nor do they need duty paid fuel.

However, if this is only once and it will be only a week or so before the surplus fuel is used up, I would not have sleepless nights. I do not know of anybody who drives a diesel car who has been stopped and dipped except for taxi drivers.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Troubled conscience - enr1
Does this mean I shouldn't be paying duty on the petrol I put in my lawnmower?
Troubled conscience - Sofa Spud
I was following an elderly Nissan Patrol the other day that was smoking badly. I'm sure there was more than a whiff of kerosene in the air! I can't see any advantage to running a diesel legally kerosene, seeing as they're designed to run on derv.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
>>Does this mean I shouldn't be paying duty on the petrol I put in my lawnmower?

Probably, but where could you get untaxed petrol?

Cheers, SS
The worst people are pilots.

When they say their cars go like a rocket, they are only half joking.....

Bowser fuel rules OK!
Pedantic alert! Pedantic alert!

>>The worst people are pilots.

>>When they say their cars go like a rocket, they are only half joking.....

Pilots fly jets that use kerosene. If their car goes like a rocket it must be using rocket fuel. Pilots have no more access to rocket fuel than non-pilots. If they put rocket fuel in their cars the engines would probably explode.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Troubled conscience - frostbite
I think lftd is referring to avgas which, IIRC is a little more potent than your filling station brew.
Troubled conscience - martint123
Pilots fly jets that use kerosene

They also fly 4-strokes that use petrol (untaxed?)

I get confused which as a PPL(H) is pretty bad (haven't flown for 2 years), but there is AVGAS and JET 1. One works for diesels and the other for petrol...I think....as LFTD gets prepared to be assassinated on the forum especially by Helicopter for such basic errors.....At least I admit when I am not sure and don't try to BS! Also you can see that I generally gas up at a conventional place!
Troubled conscience - Bromptonaut
Not sure if it's down to tax but Avgas is generally more expensive than Mogas, there are however issues (vapourisation, stray moisture content) with the latter in aero engines. Compared to cars reciprocating aero engines have suffered from lack of development over the years, bit like cars still running on BL A series etc!!!!.

Aero diesels running Jet A ( tax free for the moment) are the way ahead.
Troubled conscience - Stargazer {P}
I had a long conversation about this when living in rural Oz. Small light planes operating from grass strips make a real difference out there. There are basically two types of fuel available...Avgas and Jet1, most light planes use Avgas, only the small jets use Jet1. During the late 1990s there was a fuel contamination problem and ALL avgas was withdrawn grounding all light planes. Only Jets were allowed to fly.

So I was dicussing the state of flight approved engines..they are very low tech and quite understressed. Basically it is a relatively small market and will not stand a constant development and flight approval process which is very expensive.

StarGazer
Troubled conscience - Hugo {P}
>>Does this mean I shouldn't be paying duty on the petrol
I put in my lawnmower?
Probably, but where could you get untaxed petrol?
Cheers, SS

Keep the receipts and put in a claim to the tax man on the self assesment form at the end of the year!

Now I don't use a petrol mower but anyone who does - please try this and let us know how you get on!

H
Troubled conscience - JH
No you shoudn't. You can buy a diesel mower (but only a damn big one, see John Deere or Kubota web sites) and legally use "red diesel" in them. But you have to find someone to sell it to you, you're not going to get a refund from the taxman.
John
Troubled conscience - WhiteTruckMan
Pedantic mode on.

points to note, in no particular order.

if you are burning coal, wood, propane, red diesel, kerosine etc in a boiler for a steam engine then it is an external combustion engine you are driving. Think different rules apply.

Trucks quite often have a second donkey engine. these most often run fridges. they will run quite happily on derv, but companies that run them have seperate pumps for red and derv. woe betide you if you mix them up! derv only should be the fuel for motive power.
donkey engines can also power cranes/hiabs, pumps, generators (as in fair ground operators) and rear steer mechanisms for seriously large abnormal load trailers.

Generally speaking, there are 2 kinds of aircraft fuel. AVGAS
(AViation GASoline) for use in reciprocating engines, and is basically petrol. at one time it was equivalent to the old 5 star. not sure what it is now. And then theres AVTUR, (AViation TURbine) for use in jets. this is just a rough grade of kerosine-paraffin, if you like-but you can actually run a jet on just about any flammable liquid. limitations are mainly burner can life, but TBT needs keeping an eye on.

Pandantic mode off.

WTM

Troubled conscience - madux
They used to sell red petrol in France - couldn't work out the reason!
Troubled conscience - Rishab C
You can't pay duty on it, as it is a rebateable fuel.
If you use it on a vehicle with a V5 (registered for road) you are breaking the law, even off road. The law is very strict. There are only a few classes of vehicle that may use it on the road, and then only for certain reasons. The full rules are downloadable from the C&E website.
In fact, if you use rebateable fuel in a vehicle and then decide to change it's use and use it on the road, you have to replace the fuel filter, pipes, and all sorts of other components before you are allowed. It would seem they have thought of or are responding to every excuse people have or may come up with!
Troubled conscience - patently
In fact, if you use rebateable fuel in a vehicle and
then decide to change it's use and use it on the
road, you have to replace the fuel filter, pipes, and all
sorts of other components before you are allowed. It would seem
they have thought of or are responding to every excuse people
have or may come up with!

If they opened that loophole then there'd be annual claims from everyone who'd been on a trackday. Nightmare.
if you are burning coal, wood, propane, red diesel, kerosine etc
in a boiler for a steam engine then it is an
external combustion engine you are driving. Think different rules apply.

That's what I said. I was adding my own pedantic tuppence-worth to someone who said all road fuel had to be taxed.
I know it was completely irrelevant to this thread though!
Troubled conscience - Simon
If you use it on a vehicle with a V5 (registered for road) you are breaking the law, even off road

Not stictly true... You can put red diesel in a road registered vehicle and keep in off road as long as the vehicle is NOT taxed and be perfectly within your rights. However if the vehicle has a current tax disc and is still kept off road then technically the C&E people can have you for it. If you don't have a current tax disc then the C&E people have to catch the vehicle on the public highway before they can have you for fuel offences.

With regard to the red diesel staining your fuel components it is one of those great myths. Red diesel does not do this. If you have been running on red diesel, all you need to do is let your tank run right down so as little fuel is left in it as possible and then fill uup back up with white diesel. Once you have done this the red fuel will be virtually indetecable. A couple of tank fulls later and all traces of red diesel will be lost forever.
Troubled conscience - stackman
When I worked for a car delivery company some years ago the top mangaers used a helicopter to fly between depots. On one occasion the boss arrived in his Hughes chopper, the parrafin budgie we called it, the pilot came in to the traffic office and asked if we had any paraffin on site as he was low on fuel.

When he was told we did not he simply flew the copter as close as he could to the diesel pump and got a top up out of that.