1985/86 Nissan Micra Idle When Hot - dantheman_74
My friend took her Nissan Micra to a local mechanic to carry out the MOT. It failed on emissions so he "did some stuff" to make it pass. Now not only does it do 7 miles to a fiver petrol, but as soon as the temp gauge starts to rise off 'C' it won't run!!! This is a 988cc engine. I noticed black water from the exhaust so I checked the oil.....2 inches above the max on the dip stick!!! I drained out 5 litres of engine oil, this engine only takes 2.8 litres with a new filter! Her grandad put in some new points but he isn't sure if they're adjusted properly.........HELP...I've never delt with points before! Also noticed I couldn't adjust the idle speed screw in the carb, this had been bent inside the carb, near it's point. Today I fitted a replacement carb from a 1990 micra, same thing really. Any one got any ideas on why this car won't run when hot please....?
1985/86 Nissan Micra Idle When Hot - mfarrow
Does it have an auto-choke? Could be stuck. I'd take it back to the garage and get them to fix whatever they did wrong. Put back the old carb, you really shouldn't touch it until the mechanic's had a chance to fix what he broke!

Surely the emissions test for an '85 micra shouldn't be rigorous enough for it to fail that badly.

In the meantime, don't run the car too much. It is obviously running too rich and swallowing too much cash! Besides which it won't be doing much good to the engine.

Oh, and don't go back to that mechanics in the future! 5 litres over? I'm surprise it ran at all.
--------------
Mike Farrow
1985/86 Nissan Micra Idle When Hot - Aprilia
A right horror story. Get is back to the garage ASAP and get them to fix it.
1985/86 Nissan Micra Idle When Hot - Roberson
When you drained the oil from the sump, did it smell very strongly of petrol. Looking at HJs' CBCB, these Micras can split the fuel pump diaphragm which leaks neat fuel into the sump. This may explain the extortionate thirst for fuel and the seeming overfilled sump.

However, I can't quite understand how a mechanic could have managed all of this, so this might not be the answer.