Torque settings - Carl2
Whilst fitting some wishbones, I was wondering if the torque settings would be any different if I put the torque wrench on the nut at the top or the other end on the bolt (could only get a spanner on the nut but there was no problem getting a socket on the bottom.) I always seem to think it is easier to undo a nut when it is fitted to a bolt but perhaps I am mistaken?
Torque settings - martint123
A lot different I would have thought. Nut - just tightening it. Bolt - all the friction of the bits that it goes through.
(Last time I removed a wishbone, the nut came off easily, but the bolt was a ******* to get out.)
I suppose you could have tested to see what torque was needed to turn the bolt on its own and added that to the required amount. Unless the manual give the torque for the bolt if the nut is inaccesible.
Torque settings - none
Another thing to remember (unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer) is that most suspension components, particularly rubber bushes, should be tightened with the suspension settled into its normal running position. This means that the weight of the vehicle is creating a lot of friction on bolt.
Torque settings - MW
The principle is always that the bolt is static (it carries the load) the nut is the holding device, i.e. it needs to be torqued. Not be too tight (can strip or snap) or loose (comes undone). Bolt static, turn nut. It is that simple.