Car valeting advice - Crazy
Hi, just wondering if anbody could offer some advice.

I have a job interview at a main car dealer on Tuesday morning.
The main part of the job is to valet cars.
I have not worked doing car veleting before and they know this.
For part of the interview I will be meeting up with the service manager and he would like me to clean a car.

When we spoke on the phone about interview he said this would be to get an idea of my eye for detail and what I may be like.

So what I would like is any advice and tips from people who may do this kind of work on what they may be looking for and what kind of time I should be spending on the car.

Thanks Ian.
Car valeting advice - livefortheday
This may help:

www.autoglym.co.uk/frame2.html

Go to the top right hand corner you will see the option "choose" and in the drop down menu select "car care guide". Loads of helpful tips.

If he asks you what is the best way to clean a car quickly, just ask him where the truck wash is!

I don't have a problem with how to clean cars I regularly do this with my car and freinds cars and I am very much the kind of person who spends time on everyting to get it perfect.

I was more looking for advice on how long they would expect me to take and how much detail I should be going into. Also hints and tips people may think are helpful especialy if you are in this line of work.
Car valeting advice - Blue {P}
I think our valeters were meant to spend about an hour on each car, unless it needed extra work, mind you, they rarely did!

Not sure just how many hours the service manager will want to sit and watch you doing that for though, he may just want to inspect the finished piece.

Just make sure that everything on the car gets covered, and give the underbonnet areas a wipe over to bring the plastics up a bit. We used to use tyre blackener on the plastics under the bonnet but again, it's hard to say how they will do things in the garage you are applying to.

Good luck.

Blue
Car valeting advice - kenl
Go to www.autopia.org and hit the "learn" button at the top. there are loads of good articles like this one autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=26&c=16 and this one autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=6&c=16
Car valeting advice - his nibs
Hopefully someone will be along in a minute who has actually worked at a dealership, but for now:

I have done valeting work for major fleet companies in my time and is probably quite similar to dealer work, only on a much larger scale. As with any job, there is a limit to what you can do with the time available, and the quality of the detailing you do will be dependant on the dealer itself and the manufacturer (i.e. Ford compared to Mercedes). The difference is a dealer will have all the tools and chemicals necessary for what they (note I do not say customer) think is a good valet. If it is a large dealership, I should think you will be expected to valet a fairly large number of cars each day, the thing to remember is that it is detail that stands out; clean windows, black trim, black wheels, pedals, clean vanity mirror and dashboard can draw the eyes away from what is otherwise a car in mediocre condition. Myself I think you would be wise to ask the dealer priciple to honestly state what quality of job he expects and in what time (bearing in mind who the manufacturer is, if it is Bentley I don't think it wise to ask!). At the end of the day you could get any car perfect after 8 hours work, but in the majority of dealerships that is not what they are looking for. Good luck!

Regards
Car valeting advice - BazzaBear {P}
I think His Nibs has made a very good point. Rather than trying to guess how long he wants you to soend on the car, show some initiative and say to him up front 'I could spend hours making the car absolutely perfect, but the important thing in this job is obviously to use the time wisely, tell me how long you want me to spend on each car, and I'll show you how good a job I can do within that time limit.' or something along those lines. Just point out that you're aware there is a balancing act involved in doing this commercially.
Car valeting advice - 007

It would probably be a good idea to make sure your own car is looking good....an example of the pride you take in caring for cars! QED!!
Car valeting advice - Roger Jones
My cars are valeted every month. A very good job is done and Robbie the valeter rarely takes less than two hours per car, outside only, including finishing off with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (which I usually ask him to leave unpolished, as Autoglym advise that the longer it is left the better it works, so I polish it some hours later).

Attention to door shuts, wheel arches, window glass, wipers and mirrors would be wise. If you want to impress them, start weeping if you or they spot any imperfections after you've finished.
Car valeting advice - BobbyG
Roger, I thought Extra Gloss was supposed to last for months? If Robbie is applying this every month its probably making his job so much easier as the dirt will just wash off!
Make sure your reviewing his rates!
Car valeting advice - Chad.R
Roger, I thought Extra Gloss was supposed to last for months?
If Robbie is applying this every month its probably making his
job so much easier as the dirt will just wash off!
Make sure your reviewing his rates!

especially if your doing the hard work i.e the polishing your self! ;-)
Car valeting advice - blue_haddock
Is it new or used cars you'll be doing as the prepartion differs slightly between them.

A brand new car needs things like the protective plastics removing and then removing any glue residue and full detailing till it's clean like a new car should be.

Used cars tend to be more restoring to their former glory or as near as you can realistically get. There may be elements of stain removal, touching up etc that you do not get on a new car.

Also not sure how each particular dealership works but there is a heirachy at our dealership - new valeter starts off on the forecourt cars giving them a wash and leather then moves on to washing and hoovering service cars and finally gets onto preparing sales cars.
Car valeting advice - steveo3002
i work at a dealer, id suggest you pay extra attention to mae sure the glass is perfect, clean wheels with dressed tyres and wheel wells always look good. make sure you dont leave polish on any edges or black trim..and if you dress things like black handles or side trims be carefull not to slop it onto the paint

good luck..dont worry , most places want a quick job rather than a good job
Car valeting advice - Vansboy
Steveo is correct!!

WHEELS n WINDOWS!!! The customer needs to be able to see through the glass - you'd be surprised how dirty 'clean' interior windows are! & tyres are filthy - but shiny n new in a few moments with a dressing.

Also worth thinking on - as a suggestion if the dealer doesn't do it, as a matter of course, is fitting new number plates, branded in the garages name. It's the first thing ANY customer will look at on the car & tatty old ones are a let down, without anyone realizing it.Phsycology at work here!!

& the BEST valeting products & hints n tips are here www.meguiars.co.uk www.extremecarcare.co.uk but you're garage will no doubt have trade suppliers, of their chosen products.

One thing IS certain - you'll earn well, if you do the job properly - soooooooo many 'valeters' have totally no idea, how to prepare a vehicle for sale - let alone REAL detailing.

Good luck!!

VB
Car valeting advice - blue_haddock
The problem with properly detailing a car is that the valeter does not have anywhere near the time to do a full and complete job do to the pressure from sales to either get the car prepared for the customer handover or to get it prepared and ready to go on the pitch
Thanks for all the advice, all I can do is go along in the morning and give it a go and see how things turn out.
Fingers crossed!
Car valeting advice - Round The Bend
Crazy, dare I ask - how did it go?