Fiesta - temp gauge/heater problem - Waino
Last night I had the dubious privelege of driving my son's Fiesta (1995/96,000ml/1.1L) home in near freezing conditions. Since I last drove it, the heater had packed up and I noticed that the temerature gauge wasn't registering. Are these things likely to be connected, and where should I first start looking? As he is setting off back to the Smoke today, I need to get cracking. Any suggestions (other than 'scrap it!') will be gratefully received. Many thanks. Waino
Fiesta - temp gauge/heater problem - mfarrow
I would suspect the thermostat for a start, seems too much of a coincidence for both to go at the same time. It's located on the left hand side of the engine under a domed cover with the fan switch on top. Just undo the two bolts for the cover and lever it out its seat.
Thanks for the comment - I was suspecting the thermostat myself. Presumably it has stuck in the open position as I'm told that the heater will eventually work after travelling some distance.
After undoing the two bolts, is there a gasket that will need replacing - in fact are there any other bits that I will need to have ready as the car will be coming home again next weekend?
Many thanks for your help - Waino

Hi

It's just the one gasket that will need replacing, I think Halfords thermostats come with gasket anyway. You shouldn't need any other bits if it is just the thermostat that's failed.

As has been recommended already here this weekend in another thread, I wouldn't run the car very far with it running cold, it will cause overfuelling and wear the engine.
I've got the thermostat - which came with half a dozen gaskets for use on a variety of engines. Will it be necessary to use a gasket sealant (e.g. Hermatite)?
Many thanks for your help Waino
Fiesta - temp gauge/heater problem - mjm
I usually just use a smear of HMP grease on both sides of the gasket and a little coppa slip on the bolts. I usually scrape clean both mating faces on the housing and the head. If the faces are in good condition then this usually works fine.
Hi

I don't think you'll need any sealant, not unless if specifically says so on the thermostat box (unlikely).

I forgot that the thermostat housing (with switch on top) has 2 pipes coming out of it (I think), so you may have to take these off. Just jubilee clips, nothing fancy.
Fiesta - temp gauge/heater problem - Civic8
Word of advice..After you have taken top off.Check with a straight edge to make sure it has not bowed..It may not have done.But can happen.Usualy when bolts are over tightned..As mfarrow said.they dont usualy need any sealant..
--
Steve
We replaced the thermostat late Friday pm - and this seems to have done the trick. As suggested, there were 2 pipes to the domed cover, but we managed to move the whole thing slightly to one side for access without actually uncoupling the pipes. The electrical plug was uncoupled which made access slightly easier. I also got cold feet and used a thin smear of Hylomar on the joint when re-assembling. A couple of points which may be useful to anyone else attempting this for the first time:

1. A friend emphasised the importance of cleaning away ALL traces of the old gasket as any remains could lead to breakage of the cast components when tightening up the bolts. The remains of the old gasket were well compacted onto the mating surfaces and did need some attention.
2. The old thermostat had been 'welded' into place by a few spots of corrosion and it took a couple of sharp blows with a hammer and old screwdriver to shift it.

Again, thanks for your comments. Waino