Temperature Reading - MkII Golf Driver - Antony
Hi,
I just had to replace the radiator on my J-reg MkII Golf Driver. As part of the work, I also needed a new temperature sensor. I have noticed since having the work done that the temperature gauge rises very quickly and higher than it did before (previously it only moved up significantly when I was stationary - now it rises when I'm moving).
I've only just got the car back and have driven a few miles, but wondered if I'm worrying about nothing?
Cheers,
Antony
Temperature Reading - BB
Hi Antony,

I have had many probs with golf thermostats and senders.
From what you say, it seems like the temp gauge is now working correctly.
Keep an eye on the gauge and check the water level frequently for a couple of weeks to make sure.

Temperature Reading - Antony
Thanks for both responses. Extended motorway run of 250 miles showed no problems, the gauge does obviously now go a bit higher but no overheating.
Temperature Reading - frostbite
An airlock?

Look for bleeder valve(s) in the heater hoses.
Temperature Reading - BB
I think that the big test now will be whether it overheats while stuck in traffic. The best thing to do is leave your engine running after a reasonably long run (30 mins or so) and see if the electric fan cuts in or not. Once the electric fan cuts in, check the temp gauge. Do this for a couple of cycles.

This will simulate being stuck in traffic without having to be stuck in traffic!