VW Golf GTTDI broken camshaft - sadgit
I have a company car which is a three year old 150 bhp diesel golf gti with 108 k on the clock. It was serviced about three weeks ago and about two weeks later a shuddering noise developed which transpired to be a broken camshaft. The dealer wanted to replace the engine but VW finance only agreed to fix the broken camshaft which is understandable given that there is such high mileage and that the contract expires in March! Would anyone advise me whether it would not be a good idea to buy this car when the contract comes up in March even if the price is good and can anyone suggest a good price to accept it at please!
VW Golf GTTDI broken camshaft - P 2501
If you do buy it try to find out what may have caused the broken cam shaft in the first place. Might well happen again to you later if there is a problem which is unrectified.
Thanks! Good point!
VW Golf GTTDI broken camshaft - Hugo {P}
Two points here:

Is the repair guaranteed for a minimum period in its own right?

If this was being paid for by the punter he or she may expect some longivity of the repair.

If a subsequent failure did result from this and it took the engine to bits, what would be the limit or extent of any guarantee above?

H
The parts are warranteed so if the camshaft failed agin it would be covered. What is not covered in any collateral damage that was done to the engine in the initial failure. Nor am I sure that the original cause (whatever that was) could not make it happen again. The car is running fine at the moment except that I had to call out VW Assist the day after repair because the turbo inlet pipe popped out ( i had thought the engine had gone again)- a common fault with them apparently after they have been removed once.
VW Golf GTTDI broken camshaft - cdbr
When I bought my Accord, Godfrey Davies sold the car with a warranty which was OK(ish) as long as you had the car serviced. I couldn't actually buy it without the warranty as there was no price reduction, without.
VW Golf GTTDI broken camshaft - alan kearn
If its a TDI PD engine this could be of interest

forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=88792...3
Cheers! I bet the dealership has been using the wrong oil;!