1993 Mitsubishi Galant - Diesel Dave
A chap at work is selling an L registered Mitsubishi Galant which has only covered 59 000 miles for 2 grand - this seems very cheap for a car that would have cost the thick end of 20 grand only 6 years ago.

Anyway My father is very interested as he wants to replace his 190 000 mile 1989 Passat, with something equally economical and capacious.

Question is: Is this the going rate for such a car, which appears to be in excellent condition ?

They are quite rare - are there any known weaknesses, are parts expensive ? My experience of Japanese cars has been that they are generally reliable.
Re: 1993 Mitsubishi Galant - Diesel Dave
Yes I ve looked at HJs car by car breakown - the car in question is identical to the one which had done 200 000 miles ! - a good start - but I am interested in peoples own experiences.
Re: 1993 Mitsubishi Galant - Moosh
The Mits Galant is quite expensive to run. Parts if you ever need them are not cheap. If its not diesel, petrol consumption is below average.
Re: 1993 Mitsubishi Galant - Clive
I had a 93 Galant 1.8 Auto and had no trouble until the gearbox failed at 78,000 miles. Mitsubishi quoted £800 plus labour and VAT for a new ECU which was more than the car was worth so I didn't bother. I gave it to a mate in the trade and he said the cylinder head was cracked as well which Mitsubishi never mentioned (ties in with HJ's warning about water pump failure). Evenso, they're well equipped, quite economical and supposed to be very reliable but parts can be expensive and not easy to get hold of second hand if anything goes wrong.

Good luck.
Re: 1993 Mitsubishi Galant - Penport
I've got a loaner at the moment while my car's having it's A/C sorted - have had it for 5 weeks (!!)
Anyway it's been abused and thrashed during it's 92K miles (J plate) the oil resembles tar and the engine bay totally filthy
However it drives beautifully and purrs like a kitten, everything works and it returns about 28 mpg

Typical japanese reliability, if very boring