Vectra engine cuts out at traffic lights - brice
We have a Vauxhall vectra in good condition which has done 120,000 miles. Having had the above mentioned problems, saw Hj\'s comments regarding supermarket petrol and took his advice to add an additive to the tank followed by Shell Optimax/Texaco Clean system and problem appears to have eased.

However, it still does appear at the most inoportune times, but not as often and although HJ sugested fitting new HT leads, this had already been done. Apart from this car runs very well indeed.

Has anyone any suggestions ?

Regards Derek
Vehicle engine cuts out at traffic light - Dynamic Dave
Derek,

From what you're saying, I gather it cuts out when the car drops to tick over?

Is it the Ecototec engine? If so, then it sounds suspiciously like the troublesome Idle Speed Control Valve (ISCV for short) which is renound for causing problems.

Not sure how mechanically minded you are, but it can be cleaned. Details here:-

snipurl.com/mdxl

and here:-

through the www.vectra-sport.com website:- snipurl.com/mdxm

If cleaning doesn't resolve it, then it might need replacing.

I take it the engine management light doesn't come on at all?
Vehicle engine cuts out at traffic light - John S
The common problem with Vectras is the idle speed control valve, which can cause just this problem. It clogs with crankcase fumes induced by the crankcase breather system. Sometimes cleaning it works, but on a high mileage car it may need replacing. Cleaning the throttle body at the same time is a good idea too. This was a topic a very short while ago.

JS
Vehicle engine cuts out at traffic light - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
And dont forget to clean out the smaller pipe coming off the cam cover and its port on the throttle body which is the primary cause of the problem in the first place!!
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Vehicle engine cuts out at traffic light - Jono_99
Have a go at cleaning the Idle Control Valve - I did it in about half an hour last weekend and it has made a considerable difference. Instructions on this discussion are the ones I used, and are dead easy to follow.

Also, have started using Redex which appears to have had a noticeable impact on economy....

Jono