Longevity of car engines - Moosh
Which engine is the overall winner - diesel v petrol?
Re: Longevity of car engines - ladas are cool
well the highest mileage that i know of is on a volvo, its a p1800 and its done 1,200,000 miles and that is a petrol (its also on the original engine). but i did see a renault 21 diesel in spain that was a taxi, and it had done 1,900,000 miles, i say miles because its a british car owned by a british man.
Re: Longevity of car engines - andy bairsto
You cannot have RHD taxi spain
well this guy has one, but he is a cockney and we all know that its only geordies that have brains ;-)
Re: Longevity of car engines - Ben Lacey
This site ( www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19981123/pr...l ) says the Volvo P1800 had a mileage of 1,671,000 miles. That's 3 1/2 round trips to the moon. Yikes.
Re: Longevity of car engines - Cliff Pope
I suspect it is easier to compare makes or models, rather than petrols v diesels as such.
All 4 cylinder Volvo engines will do phenomenal mileages, but they are almost entirely petrol. Who knows what mileages they would have been capable of if diesel?

Also there may be a difference in kind of use. If diesel buyers tend to be those doing longer journeys, or taxis that have the engine hot and running all day long, then those factors alone would tend to prolong engine life.

I do recall, I think, that the old 2 1/4 land-Rover petrol engines lasted much longer than the diesels, ie 200,000 miles plus. Diesels are more stressed, but then they are or should be built to cope.
Re: Longevity of car engines - Andy Bairsto
Its funney these volvo engines where in fact ford built in bradford by hepworths,
when they came down the production line the ford engines were painted blue and the volvo green.The P1800 was built in the uk by the healy factory
Re: Longevity of car engines - Dan J
Is the Healy factory the same as the Jensen factory?

Apparently the quality of the early P1800s was so bad that Volvo Sweden transferred production over to Sweden after about 6000 cars were produced (and renamed it the 1800S).

Amazed the engines were built by a Ford factory, I hadn't realised that!
Re: Longevity of car engines - Dave
Cliff Pope wrote:
>

> All 4 cylinder Volvo engines will do phenomenal mileages

So Renault must too 'cos IIRC they supply a heck of a lot of 4 cyl engines to Volvo.
Nope - Renault supplied the 1.4 and 1.7 engines as fitted to the Volvo 340 and 440/460 cars. These engines were never noted for their reliability nor in these cars, ever excessively stressed beyond 100000 miles.

All the 4 cylinder petrol engines fitted to the Volvo 1, 2, 7 and 9 series cars were Volvo's own and are the ones Cliff is referring to. Various Volvo clubs have their own "high mileage" register (as does the UK Volvo club) and there are many of these engined cars with 400,000+miles on. None of the Renault engined ones though!
Re: Longevity of car engines - Alwyn
We have a Volvo 340 ( Now parked awaiting sale) and the only trouble we find with the 1.7 Renault engine is an aversion to dark clouds.

The HT lead from the Renix unit is very prone to arcing in damp weather and there is often a problem with condensation inside the distributor cap.

The car has covered 108,000 miles and pulls like a cart horse.

My 740 4 pot has covered 114,000 miles with just one faulty flywheel sensor lead to moan about. (Touch wood)
volvo 340 / 360. - ladas are cool
the highest mileage for a volvo 360 was 672,000 miles (crikey)
Re: volvo 340 / 360. - Tom S-S
The 360 had a Volvo engine in it!
Re: volvo 340 / 360. - ladas are cool
oh, i didnt know.
Re: Longevity of car engines - Moosh
Ref 340/360's ; In my experience they were ?dogs? to drive and uneconomic.
volvo 340. - ladas are cool
but very spacous, and very robust. i still have my 340 1.4 CVT.
Re: volvo 340. - Tom S-S
I had a CVT 340 1.4 Great car but not hugely reliable. The most comfortable seats I have sat in in a car, it was hugely noisy though. I was sad to see it go as it was a great tank and for an automatic the acceleration wasn't too bad as it didn't have to change gear.
Re: volvo 340. - ladas are cool
the rubber band slipped on mine, and was very costly.
Re: Longevity of car engines - Paul
I've had eleven Cavaliers as taxis over the last 5 years, all ex-fleet cars with F.S.H. and 100k when bought. They all did way over 500k each with only one breaking down due to blown head gasket. I serviced them myself every 2-3 weeks, and religously replaced cam belts, water pumps etc every 6 months.
Forgot to say, all petrol! So many of my friends have diesels with associated problems, i.e heads, pumps etc. My petrols are just as economical because I have far less time off the road! Economy is not just M.P.G. it's overall running costs and earning potential!
Really? Wow - I'd assumed from your first post they were diesel. Very impressive. Out of interest, were any the 1.8i 8 valve engine? If so what was the reliability of that like? Interested as I have one on 70k and would love it to last til 500!
Re: Longevity of car engines - Ian (cape town)
Here's something ...
As I recall, the Rekord (your cavalier) had a 2.0L engine..
<<1988- Delta's "Moon Mission" blasts off on May 18, when two South African built. Opel Rekords set out to cover 376 024 kilometres, the distance between earth and the moon. The vehicles drove day and night through the lunar landscape of Namibia. Mission accomplished Delta Motor Corporation is "over the moon" when the cars continue and set a world record of 500 000 kilometres.
All 1.6 to 2.0, carb and injection. No difference in reliability between them. Because I serviced them very regularly, potential problems could easily be spotted, i.e. slight cracks in drive shaft boot, change it! Got this down to 15 mins without removing wheel, and using a razor blade and long nose pliers only!
Re: Longevity of car engines - John Davis
Sounds great Paul. Could you expand on the fitting of the drive shaft boot please ? Did you "slit" the new one and re-join it ? I seem to remember a proprietary replacement boot being made with a slit and, presumably one of these new wonder adhesives to seal it up. Is this your method and what adhesive did you use ?
No. Use standard boot. Jack car up, and use axle stand. Put wheel on full lock. Cut off old boot. Push wheel with your shoulder(to a "fuller lock") whilst using pliers to open circlip. Shaft comes out of U.J. Grease up. Put new boot on shaft, locate shaft into U.J., pull wheel back, circlip clicks back in. New cable ties, job done!
Re: Longevity of car engines - David W
Cliff,

You are spot on with the Land Rover engines. For any given year or mileage it is likely that the petrol will be in better order. A decent 2.25 diesel engine is hard to find unless just overhauled.

Not all the reason is their design or stresses though, maintenance (lack of) plays a huge part. Many folk think an old LR diesel will go on for years with the same oil/filter, run on the cheapest 20/50 about and even sometimes on the old oil drained out of the car.

If they were looked after with 3000 mile oil changes as per the design, and with decent oil they'd go on for ever.

David
Re: Longevity of car engines - G
My mates mum's Nissan Sunny 1.4 petrol still runs great with 220,000 miles of mainly cold starts and in town abuse..... gearbox still sweet too.
Re: Longevity of car engines - andy bairsto
German taxis are normally changed at 1000000km and then sold on.
Re: Longevity of car engines - Tom S-S
Saw a y (i.e. Early 80s) reg Merc 300d for sale the other day 440,000 miles on it started first time and wasn't excessively smokey. Have read of Passats doing 400K a friend has a 1988 1.6 Golf nothing has been done to the engine or gearbox save a new clutch recently. Now on 265,000 miles! I think that once cars become worth less the justification for servicing is lost so people just don't. I remember reading in one of the Classic Car mags recently of 1972 Jag XJ6 having done 500,000 miles. It had a new engine at 200 ish K due to hard use a tow car to the south of France for some racing driver who still uses it everyday!

Low mileage cars should be avoided if of any age. I bought a 1986 VW Poloc (1043cc) with 48K on it it had to have a new head gasket, clutch, brake lines, carb. all within 6000 miles and a lot £ was spent.
Re: Longevity of car engines - Tomo
Early P1800 shells were produced at Linwood. I recall them trundling around in Glasgow, on lorries, in some sort of brown undercoat.

That was the Rootes plant put up for the Imp - now there was a really good little car spoiled by misassembly. I remember having to coax my wife's specimen across Glasgow with no clutch release; it was one of the early ones with the pneumatic throttle (a really good idea) which left Minis for dead.
when i was 19 i bought a j reg mazda 323, it had done 168,000 miles so the guy sold it to me for £470, but it had Full Mazda Service History, and i sold it on with 194,000 miles and got my £470 back, it never went wrong (apart from needing a new battery). p.s. i serviced it myself during the time i had it.