Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see vol XXI for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25160

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIV is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
45ers - machika
It has always amazed me how often I am following cars being driven at about 45mph on single carriageway A roads. It is often impossible to overtake these cars, due to the volume of traffic coming the other way, and so one is forced to follow them for mile after mile. It is particularly annoying, as there is usually no reason to prevent them from travelling a little faster (speed limits for example). With our auto C5, it means driving along in third gear, which leads to increased fuel consumption.
45ers - spikeyhead {p}
I usually find that this genre continue at 46 through villages with 30 limits.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
45ers - bartycrouch
And also joining busy motorways at this speed!
45ers - patently
You are not alone:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23715&...e
45ers - volvoman
Yep, it'd be really nice if everyone on the road would drive in a manner and at a speed which suits me/my car too. Mind you, perhaps the guy doing 45 feels a little intimidated and wishes everyone else would slow down a bit. No easy answer to this problem.
45ers - patently
perhaps the guy doing 45 feels a little intimidated

So move over. I soemtimes feel intimidated at 60, so I let them by.

I want others to drive in a manner that is courteous to me. So I try to drive in a manner that is courteous to others.

There is a point, though, at which you have to start recommending extra lessons from a good instructor, though. And an inability (a) to exceed 45 on a suitable road and (b) to tell the difference between that road and a village might well be that point.
45ers - machika
When I was being taught to drive, I was told it was necessary to keep up with the speed of the traffic. These drivers are controlling the speed of the traffic.
45ers - NowWheels
The only time I've ever driven like that was when I had a rebuilt engine put in my car, and was told to go v slow for the first few hundred miles, which was the journey home. 200 miles at less than 40mph, most of it on narrow roads :(

I pulled in frequently to let others pass, but the rest of the time was noteable for how clear the road ahead was. Maybe the stuck-at-40 brigade have gotten a taste for the clear view?
45ers - Older_not_wiser
>When I was being taught to drive, I was told it was necessary to keep up with the speed of the traffic.

Sorry, but that is "non-thinking".

Follow the car in front is dreadful advice.

>These drivers are controlling the speed of the traffic.

I control the speed of traffic. Maybe.
If the people behind me crawling all over me when I am doing 30 in 30 limits wish to think that - carry on.

A significant number of drivers have the bad driving habit of changing up as quickly as possible in order to get into top gear as soon as possible.

That is what causes the 45 on "main" roads - being the minimum viable for 5th gear.

And the reluctance to get out of their beloved top gear results in 40 in 30 limits.
45ers - machika
>When I was being taught to drive, I was told it
was necessary to keep up with the speed of the traffic.
Sorry, but that is "non-thinking".
Follow the car in front is dreadful advice.
>These drivers are controlling the speed of the traffic.
I control the speed of traffic. Maybe.
If the people behind me crawling all over me when I
am doing 30 in 30 limits wish to think that -
carry on.
A significant number of drivers have the bad driving habit of
changing up as quickly as possible in order to get into
top gear as soon as possible.
That is what causes the 45 on "main" roads -
being the minimum viable for 5th gear.
And the reluctance to get out of their beloved top gear
results in 40 in 30 limits.

The advice I was given was as a guide, to show that drivers should not dawdle along at unecessarily low speeds for the conditions. I don't want to follow the driver in front if he is dawdling, I want to get past him, but if he is progressing at a satisfactory speed for the conditions, I am quite happy to follow. I was not suggesting that anyone should exceed speed limits, or tail gate other drivers because they want to get past.

A car should be driven in top gear whenever the conditions are applicable and when the engine can comfortably cope with it. I have driven some cars with engines that were quite flexible enough to be driven in top gear at 30mph. Our C5, however, is not happy below 50mph in top gear. It has nothing whatsoever to do with what speed other people drive, or when I want to change gear, as it has an autobox that will change gear in accordance with its design parameters. Below thirty, it will not even hold on to third gear.
45ers - Sofa Spud
Our VW Passat 1.9 TDI is happier in 3rd gear than in 4th at 30mph - it's a high-geared car so I'm content to obey that bit of nannying advice about staying in 3rd in 30 mph zones while I'm driving it. But other cars are fine in 4th at that speed.
I tend not to go into 5th below 50 mph.

Cheers, SS
45ers - Sofa Spud
45's a bit slow out on the open road, but I never get too het up about these dawdlers. After all, White Van Man's really only supposed to do 50 in his Transit on a single-carriageway!!! And LGV's (over 7.5 ton GVW) aren't supposed to exceed 40!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Speed limits being reduced - bartycrouch
Are there any others out there who are finding that almost every time they make a journey, they find another speed limit reduced?

In my area this is not only through adding the useless A3 bus lane, but by "rationalisation" where a whole stretch of b-road gets reduced to the lowest speed-limit?

Is this for safety reasons or to make sure the Kyoto emissions targets are met? I assume they give regional targets to local planners.

I am tempted to get one of those smoky cars you see driving around and just trundle around at 39 mph. The speed cameras won't care and no other authority seems bothered as long as they can bang their projected figures into an Excel spreadsheet.

It's the lack of imagination that depresses me.

Speed limits being reduced - Mapmaker
A12/M11 gets slower by the day.

70 to 50

50 to 40

And then there are the variable speed sections that claim to be running at 30... just because they've flapped onto 30 and nobody can be bothered to sort them out. They should be the reason for the sack for whoever is in charge of that bit of road. But I doubt it will be!
Speed limits being reduced - AngryJonny
I understand that dropping speed limits is a silver-bullet fix to this country's problems. People drive too fast? Lower the speed limit. People drive under the influence? Lower the speed limit. People use mobile phones at the wheel? Lower the speed limit. People taking heroin in back alleys? Lower the speed limit. Property prices out of control? Lower the speed limit.

I guess that lowering the limit and putting up a few cameras provides a quick cash injection for the local council.
Speed limits being reduced - Richard Turpin
In the Limehouse Link tunnel in London the limit is 30 and there are cameras. Everyone drives at about 25. I did not understand this till I bought a Road Angel which shows the true speed. I now realise that virtually all speedos are NOT accurate and under estimate the actual speed by approx 4/5 MPH. Add to this the fact that London police set the cameras to go off at a reasonable 10 MPH or more above the limit (unlike most daft county constabularies) and you have a cause of frustration. You can in fact drive through the tunnel at 40 in complete safety. (Safety from cameras. 50 would be safe otherwise unless there was stationary traffic which you can see ahead anyway because brake lights show on the tiled walls of the tunnel even on corners. (For TOTAL safety, install mirrors.)

I still can't get over a friend getting done in Shropshire for 35 in a village at 5 AM for God's sake. The law is definitely an ass on occasions.
Speed limits being reduced - machika
It is odd that speedos should underestimate the actual speed, as I had always been led to believe that speedos were generally set up to provide a reading that was slightly above the actual speed (which is a more sensible setting than one which underestimates actual speed).

There is no logic to a lot of speed limits. There are many stretches of road that go through very built up areas with 40mph limits and others, which are less densely populated, that have 30mph limits. There is a stretch, on what was the old A6, south of Derby, in the village of Shardlow, which is wide and dead straight for some distance and has no buildings on either side of the road. The speed limit is 30mph and it is regularly used by the police as a location for a mobile speed trap, for the obvious reason that drivers will tend to go over 30mph on this stretch of road.
Speed limits being reduced - Older_not_wiser
>I now realise that virtually all speedos are NOT accurate and under estimate the actual speed by approx 4/5 MPH. Add to this the fact that London police set the cameras to go off at a reasonable 10 MPH or more above the limit (unlike most daft county constabularies)

No and No.

Speedos (when cars are made) have to (by law) be between 0 and (2.5% plus 2.5mph) fast.

In Dorset - the county I happen to about, the cameras in 30 limits are set at 39.

I strongly suspect that most counties follow ACPO guidlines.
Speed limits being reduced - patently
I think DT suffered a typo - speedos must either be accurate or alightly over-read, they must not under-read. So the manufacturers have no choice but to build a slight over-read into mechanical speedos.

This means that at an indicated 30 in a 30 limit the car will actually be doing slightly less than 30 - say 27 or 28. This gives rise to the effect described by DT.

Not all cameras are set as high as 39. A relative of mine was recently caught by a camera at 36 in a 30. The road concerned is a major trunk road in the Midlands, whose limit changes between 30 and 40 frequently. She got confused as to which limit applied.

It was 4am, while giving her daughter a lift to the airport. I hope the camera partnership are pleased at the elimination of that major safety risk.

Speed limits being reduced - Vin {P}
"Not all cameras are set as high as 39"

And in a 40, don't assume they are set at 50. I was photographed six years ago at 47 in a 40.

2pm on a Tuesday; kids in school; bright sunlit day; straight dual carriageway on the way out of a town about 100 yards before a NSL sign. I accept that I broke the law. Equally I accept that a policeman would have ignored it.

That experience summarises my dislike of scameras.

V
The clipboard brigade again - terryb
Like Adski a couple of months ago, I encountered a clipboard speed check on Saturday evening. This was going through a suburban area of Farnham, Surrey that I haven't driven though for some time now. They've now erected a "slow down" sign that flashes your speed at you if you're over the limit.

It's on a downhill stretch so it takes a conscious effort to keep below 30 and I admit I was a little over the top (that's not the issue here). Anyway the sign flashed up 36 and the village bobby (flowerpot hat and all, no hi-vis jacket) was there holding a clipboard and chatting to some local yoofs. He looked at me and the sign but I don't know if he wrote anything down.

As far as I know, a clipboard isn't sufficient evidence for a NIP and these signs don't take pictures. I may get a "don't do it again" letter (and I won't do it again) but I reckon (or hope) that's the worst that'll happen. But then again, natural paranoia keeps me thinking about it.

Anyone any idea what this whole exercise was about?
--
Terry
The clipboard brigade again - Adam {P}
Sorry Terry - can\'t help you with your problem but with my speed check, it\'s later turned out that there\'s a cop car further down the road ready to pull the speeders over. I\'m glad I turned off right before then (completely coincidently).

Good luck although it doesn\'t sound like you\'ve been \"done\".
Adam
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - teabelly
Interesting article in the scotsman:

scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=9425...4

"The road to safer driving is not always clearly marked"

BLAMING speed for road accidents is like blaming altitude for aeroplane accidents. If they didn't fly they wouldn't crash. If cars remained stationary nobody would be killed. Not long ago, one frustrated railwayman complained that so far as the health and safety police were concerned, the only safe train was a stopped train.

Real-world solutions to safety can be much more subtle. Years ago I had a friend who was a local councillor. Our village was safe, picturesque, with a main street, a pub, a post office and a fine primary school.

It was such a good school that it had more than its quota of drop-off traffic; children from outlying districts came by car because there was no bus service. The upside was that there had not been a road accident injury in living memory.

Then along came the highways department and resurfaced the road. Signs were renewed, white lines repainted, yellow ones added to discourage parking, all neat and tidy according to official regulation. There were still no accidents, although the rural character of the place was changed a bit. The downside was faster traffic, to the alarm of the children who walked to school, and of course of their parents.

Agitated meetings in the village hall condemned reckless motorists and there were demands for a lower speed limit. "Twenty's Plenty" was the cry, but the response by the local authority was that the road was perfectly safe, and it was unwilling to do anything. The clamour increased, the council agreed to monitor traffic speed, and it turned out that hardly anybody was exceeding 30mph. Still, demands persisted for speed cameras, radar traps, sleeping policemen, chicanes and other traffic management.

All the proposals were rejected on grounds of cost. No accidents; no money. The campaigners were furious. Here, they claimed, was an accident waiting to happen. In due course, traffic management became a village issue, acrimony flourished and, as the anti-speeders campaigned for road humps and chicanes, opposition hardened.

An adjoining village had tried traffic calming and it proved so unpopular it had to be dismantled. Hissing brakes, smoky trucks, collisions with street furniture and cycling accidents on humps became intolerable.

What my friend the councillor had to judge was whether the campaigners had a case, and then balance possible measures with the rejection of humps and chicanes. There was plenty of disapproval of speeding, the traffic was certainly flowing more smoothly, but there was still nothing to indicate that the road was any less safe than it had been before. What could he do to calm nerves yet sustain the road's exemplary record?

The answer was subtle, simple and elegant. At each end of the village he set up what looked like a gateway, white painted posts on both sides of the road, together with a five-barred gate. It was never shut, of course, but it provided drivers with a sort of punctuation mark. Subliminally they registered that they had entered a village. It was more effective than a speed limit sign, or a rumble strip, disfiguring stripes on the road or pious notices imploring drivers to take care.

Traffic speeds fell so the campaigners were happier. Drivers were not irritated by petty regulation, they seemed to pay more attention to their surroundings, and the village safety record remains unimpaired to this day.

The approach to safety is often not obvious, and it is not always susceptible to legislation. Take mobile phones. It is said that drivers using handheld mobile phones increase their chances of having an accident by a factor of four. The Highway Code advised against them, Rospa campaigned against them and, after a few well-publicised accidents in which mobile phones were involved, prohibition was introduced. Yet every day one sees drivers still using them because the chances of being apprehended are small.

Invoking the law has had a limited effect. Research shows something else. A statistically significant number of accidents are caused by drivers under stress, worried about being late for an appointment, late for a date or just late for dinner. We know roughly how many accidents drivers using handheld phones caused. What we do not know is how many accidents have been avoided because drivers could make a comforting phone call.

Persuasion is sometimes better than legislation. A radical new approach in Holland is to reduce road signs and remove traffic lights, in the belief that drivers should think for themselves and not rely on technology. Dutch safety consultant Hans Monderman says too many warning signs make roads less safe, because they encourage road users not to think. He counsels better behavioural psychology on the grounds that thinking drivers are safer.

The British Transport and Road Research Laboratory is working along similar lines, and can show that altering roads to make them appear more dangerous creates the same effect. This can mean narrowing roads and removing clear-cut edges, prompting drivers to navigate with care. Experiments with removing central white lines on selected suburban roads cut accidents by a third

teabelly
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - patently
cut accidents by a third

An interesting parallel there somewhere.

Thanks teabelly.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - Hawesy1982
Removing the central white line works, definitely.

When you think about it, each of us passes dozens of cars each day at a distance of around 20inches, at a combined speed of at least 60mph. 120mph on NSL roads.

Remove the white line which acts as a magical invincibility barrier and suddenly you're checking to make sure that other car is on their own side of the road properly, and that the gap they've left (exactly the same size as it always was) is really big and safe enough to go through at 60. People will slow down.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - BrianW
It has been proved many times that removing the central line e.g. when resurfaced slows traffic but IIRC rules and regs say that if the road is classified and more than a certain width they have to be there.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - machika
With reference to drivers being able to make a comforting home call, nobody is stopping them, so long as the car is parked when they do it. If they are under stress when they are making the call and driving the car, I would think that the chances of an accident must escalate.

I would agree with the general point about the likes of warning signs, rumble strips, cross hatching and red tarmac. It often seems to be overkill, as well as hideous. I have seen some very pretty village high streets ruined by these attempts to make the road safer. It looks as bad as any graffiti.
Seen this morning - patently
A popular "lifestyle" estate car travelling through a village, limit 30, speed 30. OK so far.

Village ends, limit rises to 50. Speed stays at 30. No apparent reason.

Estate approaches a sharp blind bend; prominent red bands are painted on the road with "SLOW" on them in big white letters. Estate now accelerates to 50mph.

What do we do about these people?
Seen this morning - Adam {P}
Not really sure if this should be here but I'll give it a whirl.

Normally we moan about people doing 35mph in a NSL and then speeding to 40 or staying at 35 in a 30 limit. I saw that reversed yesterday. I was driving behind a newish Corsa in a 30 at around 32 - 33 (yes I know - how utterly dangerous and childish of me) so the Corsa was going a little quicker.

Anyway - we entered an NSL road - a lovely fast road with a few bends but nothing that you can't handle at 50. The Corsa proceeded to slow to to32...31...31...29??? Needless to say, and I know I shouldn't but I felt myself getting a little angry. So I calmed down and then decided, like the impatient dangerous person that I am to overtake. I travel that road every day and there are 3 perfectly safe opportunities to overtake. I indicated, drove past, gave them PLENTY of room, I even indicated to go back in, all of this on a straight road and continued on my way until they beeped me and flashed! (The lights that is). I was astonished as it was the perfect maneuver but I continued on my way at 60.

About 1 minute later you coudn't see the Corsa at all. I get to a 30 road which being fair, whilst difficult to stay at 30 even in 3rd (it's downhill) a 40 limit would probably be too high. I was doing 30ish when the Corsa races past easy doing well over 40. This was done on a blind bend ina 30 limit. Thankfully, my childish tendencies were left at the NSL road and I didn't speed up but that is ridiculous I think.

Sorry for ranting on. I just thought I'd post after a period of silence.

Thanks
Adam
Rigid speed limit enforcement fails? - teabelly
Another snippet from Safespeed, this is an article from New Zealand:

www.fastandsafe.org/site.aspx/Pages/Facts/RigidEnf...x

teabelly
115mph in a Punto! - J Bonington Jagworth
I gather that a student who was recently nailed by the police for doing this speed in a 1.2 Punto has just had his case dismissed on the evidence of an independent tester, who was unable to make it do more than 104! It probably helped that the subject he was studying was law, but it also begs the question of the accuracy of the equipment. Will they be looking into all the other cases resting on the evidence of the same detector? For some reason, I doubt it...
115mph in a Punto! - henry k
See below
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3605446.stm
Thanks, Henry. So they're doing him for due car instead! Is this now the official fall-back position, if the speeding rap fails to stick? :-(
"due car"

Oh pfd! You know what I meant...
115mph in a Punto! - teabelly
If it was the lt220 laser gun then I'm not surprised. They are well known for being inaccurate in lots of circumstances. All this guy had to do was ask for the video evidence which is taken at the time of the offence. This would have proved what speed he was doing at the time. If the video evidence doesn't appear then the case should have been dropped as just a reading from one of these devices really isn't enough to prove someone's speed.

If he was really doing 85 ( an indicated 85) then these devices need to be subject to independent review. If they are indeed inaccurate then their use should be curtailed until an accurate replacement is found.

teabelly
115mph in a Punto! - Stuartli
I've been on Bruntingthorpe and it is, indeed, a long runway - so too is the two-mile equivalent at Elvington, a few miles south of York.

Three figures easy in a big car but a 1.2 Punto..:-)

Lancashire police regularly reveal in local newspapers just what roads their mobile radar equipment will be operated on the following week - no actual days or times which is fair enough - and the notice includes the information that the equipment can register vehicles' speeds at up to 500 yards distance.

I do wonder just how accurately readings can be taken at such a distance. It's further than the majority of golf holes..:-)
115mph in a Punto! - SteveH42
I do wonder just how accurately readings can be taken at
such a distance. It's further than the majority of golf
holes..:-)

Well, unless you can get the Punto up near light speed then the distance isn't really an issue. Sound travels at the same speed when the thing it is being bounced off it 5 yards away or 5000, the only technical problem is keeping a steady enough aim and let's face it, if aviation radar could only work to within a quarter of a mile when we really would be stuffed.
115mph in a Punto! - Stuartli
>>the only technical problem is keeping a steady enough aim>>

That's the point I was making - it's mobile equipment that is being used.

500 yards is a considerable distance and there will almost certainly be obstructions of one form or another in between, including other vehicles.
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - NowWheels
... "Fines could range from £40 and two penalty points for lesser offences up to £100 and six points for the most serious examples of speeding." ...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3616422.stm

sounds to me like a rather good idea
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - Stuartli
You might not think so if you got a fine and two penalty point for doing 31mph (first category is 31-39mph according to Sky News a few minutes ago)...:-)

Why so many Government advisers hate the car so much is quite frightening.

Even more so when a report a few months ago revealed that speeding being the cause of accidents is only relevant in seven per cent of incidents.

Not that that percentage should be ignored, merely that it should be regarded in its proper context.
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - Adam {P}
I have two opinions on this. Firstly, yes a great idea. But what are the penalties going to be set at? Is 38 going to be a high penaltly or 98?

Also, hasn't the government shot themselves in the foot? I was a wreckless, life disregarding joyrider this morning when I was doing 33 - so is that now ok and so only warrants a lesser penalty?

It seems to me they want to appease the people who hate cameras and think they do no good but keep on side the people who think they are good...all two of them.

Adam
>>when I was doing 33>>

You were probably doing exactly 30mph if you take the 10 per cent fast speedometer error into account..:-)

You can breathe again...
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - Mark (RLBS)
What is the difference between a store detective and a speed camera ? We wouldn't dream of painting a store detective yellow, so why do we paint cameras yellow ? And so many more comparisons......

The issue is neither the camera nor the fine. The issue is the limit which is being enforced.

This battle, argument, war - call it what you will - will rage on until people realise that the solution to a duff limit is not to insist that it is not enforced, or that it should have a lower penalty or that cameras are painted yellow or any other daft idea; The solution is to make the limit appropriate and then enforce it 100% by whatever method, stealth or otherwise.

People should be campaigning for appropriate limits, not lax/flawed enforcement or lower penalties.
Where I live there are speed cameras - not as many as in some other towns or areas - but their placement is a real puzzle.

All of them are situated on above average width 30mph roads which include, in the majority of cases, a grass verge between the road and several flagstones wide pavements - visibility is first class for both motorists and pedestrians.

Accidents have been very few and far between on these roads and quite a few have involved joyriders who have lost control of the vehicles. No amount of speed cameras will stop their antics.

In contrast many of the town's minor roads, most of which have residents' vehicles parked on both sides, leaving enough room for one car to use but not two in opposite directions until they reach a gap in between parked cars, see too many drivers travelling at up to 50mph on a regular basis.

Yet such dangerous driving is ignored by both the police and the local council to a large extent, although the council did bring in 20mph limits and speed humps in some outlying areas.

That's despite several quite serious accidents in mine and surrounding roads in recent years.
I was a wreckless, life disregarding joyrider this morning
when I was doing 33 - so is that now ok and so only warrants
a lesser penalty?

Well, if you were doing 33 when you knew the limit was 30, you were being irresponsible, and that judgment wouldn't change. The question the govt is asking is what the punishment should be when caught, and since 33 is less irresponsible than 45, it seems to me to be sensible that the punishment for 33 should be lighter.

But I'm sure that if you asked nicely, they'd still agree to give you the three points you would have got under the existing system :)
I fear you've missed the point there NW. In any case, I think Mark is right - the limits should be looked at. I'm going to get shouted at but this new proposal is not going to do anything. People will get penalised less for speeding so it stands to reason, they will do it more.

I'm reluctant to make this into another "is speeding right" but if I hit a kid at 30 and killed him, I don't think I could drive again. If I hit a kid at 45, I've still hit a kid, I've still done a bad thing. What happens if I hit a kid at 40 in a 40 limit?

I'm just wary of this and the chances are, we're going to see a lot more people prosecuted for 31mph. Whether this is right or not I don't know but please please please don't tell me that 31 is breaking the law and dangeous. Yes it's illegal, yes we all know the limit is 30. Dangerous? If you provide figures about studies in which 31mph killed a kid and 30 let him get up, dust himself off and say "sorry for running out mate" then I will never speed again.

Oh look - I did make it into another "is speeding right thread"...sorry.
Adam
The problem is not necessarily just that of setting the "right" speed limit for a particular road, but the variables involved.

A car's stopping distance depends on several factors including road conditions, driver reaction and whether the vehicle's condition, especially the braking system, is properly maintained.

In addition, all makes and models of vehicles have different stopping distances from a particular speed, making it more difficult to generalise.

Stuart, you beat me to it! Are we now going to see lower fines for cars built within the last year because they have better stopping distances than a 15 year old Maestro? Hmmm...wouldn't surprise me.
Adam
and the chances are, we're going
to see a lot more people prosecuted for 31mph. Whether this
is right or not I don't know but please please please
don't tell me that 31 is breaking the law and dangeous.
Yes it's illegal, yes we all know the limit is 30.

Adam, I'm sure you know well that the difference betwen 30 and 31 isn't that great, and nor is the difference between 20 and 21 or 50 and 51. But that's not the point: either there is a limit, or there isn't.

Whether that limit is 5mph or 25mph or 50mph or 500mph, and whether or not it is variable (like the french autoroute-in-the-rain limits), there is a limit. That's a don't-go-beyond-this figure, not a target speed or a minimum speed or (as some folks seem to think) an I'm-entitled-to-drive-at-this-speed figure. It means "this is as fast as you can go if all the other conditions stack up, but you can never go faster".

For a while, we've had a degree of laxity in enforcement -- ostensibly to cope with the permitted inaccuarcies in speedometers, but also for evidential reasons. So we've had the 10%+2 threshold.

That has its merits, but in practice it has been abused, because too many drivers know about the threshold, and drive to it. So some tightening up is long overdue, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it coming. If you have worries about exceeding the limit, then create your own margin-of-error, and aim for 25 rather than 30, or get a car with a speed-limiter.

If you break the limit by a teensy bit, then the govt is suggesting that the punishment should be less than if you break it by a lot. That seems reasonable to me.

I'm not sure what you want instead: the same punishment no matter how much you exceed the limit?
NW,

And your comments on my points above ?

I think that frequently you go too far in your points of view, but I don't really see much issue in what you're saying this time, provided its based on reasonable speed limits.

Surely the issue is where a speed limit is entirely apporpriate for "average" conditions whether that is too high or low.

Although I do very much agree with your point that it is a maximum speed, not a target or recommended speed. Sadly, on the rare occasion a speed limit is too fast, one still doesn't see people driving at less than it very often, and frequently when there are, the driver is normally busy cursing the person in front for forcing them to do so.
NW,
And your comments on my points above ?
I think that frequently you go too far in your points
of view, but I don't really see much issue in what
you're saying this time, provided its based on reasonable speed limits.

Mark, I think we'd disagree about what would constitute "reasonable" speed limits -- I'd want lots of them radically reduced, and wouldn't expect you to agree.

On your plea for 100% enforcement, yes, I'd agree 100%. And there should be much more stealthy enforcement, to get deter the radar-detector mentality that you only really need to watch speed limits when they are enforced.

However, I do think that the punishment needs more subtlety than is currently the case. Driving "just-over-the-limit" may be a momentary lapse, but it's hard to say the same for 10mph over the limit, and it doesn't make sense to me to punish both with the same severity. It sems to me that proportionality is a good general principle in law.

If these cases were heard in courts, we could have magistrates applying a flexible logic to achieve that sort of outcome, but there are simply too many people breaking the speed limits for that to be viable, unless people wanted to pay the high costs of a hearing (which they have the option to do). So the flexibility can only come from some sort of rule-based system, to allow automated fixed-penalty notices to produce some sort of proportionality.
>>but it's hard to say the same for 10mph over the limit>>

In this case, if someone is pulled up or caught by a Gatso this far over the actual speed limit, then their speedometer reading (in for instance the case of a 40mph limit road) must have been approximately 58mph.

They deserve a fine and penalty points.

But to fine someone for doing 31mph in a 30mph limit is, quite frankly, draconian; they have clearly been attempting to abide by the speed limit set.

I did a check on my own speedometer the other day (VW Bora) and noticed that what appears to be a speed of 30mph is, in fact, slightly higher. The reason is because I am looking down at the guage and the needle lines up at 30mph when the actual speed is slightly higher.
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - BrianW
"If these cases were heard in courts, we could have magistrates applying a flexible logic to achieve that sort of outcome, but there are simply too many people breaking the speed limits for that to be viable, unless people wanted to pay the high costs of a hearing (which they have the option to do). So the flexibility can only come from some sort of rule-based system, to allow automated fixed-penalty notices to produce some sort of proportionality."

The point must be made that the switch to mechanised enforcement has resulted in many, many more drivers being fined than would ever have happened in a manual systemand, it must be said, many, many more than were envisaged when cameras were first proposed.
With the number of speeding fines nudging three million per annum, magistrates courts sitting twenty four hours a day seven days a week would fail to process them all unless the number of courts were massively increased.

As Mark (RBLS) has said, more realistic limits more rigidly enforced are the way forward, but it will never happen, if only because no speed limit will ever be raised.
The point must be made that the switch to mechanised enforcement
has resulted in many, many more drivers being fined than would
ever have happened in a manual systemand, it must be said,
many, many more than were envisaged when cameras were first proposed.

I suspect that in the early days of cameras, those behind them understimated the extent of resistance to speed-control.
As Mark (RBLS) has said, more realistic limits more rigidly enforced
are the way forward, but it will never happen, if only
because no speed limit will ever be raised.

I think that depends on what you consider realistic :)

My idea of realistic limits wouldn't involve raising any of them (except perhaps m'ways), but YMMV
>>My idea of realistic limits

....is not relevant. Insofar as your idea is known, it seems to be largely ridiculous.

What is needed is an objective and fair set of rules resulting from road and behavioural studies - not some half-assed battle cry; whether it is yours of half every speed limit or some similar clown saying double every limit.

As I have said before, as a group both motorists and the anti-speed contingent have shown themselves equally unable to understand either the problem or the potential solutions.
>>My idea of realistic limits
....is not relevant. Insofar as your idea is known, it seems
to be largely ridiculous.

[snip]

Based on very different priorities: and it's that huge gap in perspectives which makes road speed such a hot issue. You are part way there when you talk of "an objective and fair set of rules": the question, though, is what objectives and fair to who?

But it's a pity to see a rather interesting discussion reduced to silliness such as the suggestion that I seek to "half every speed limit". Not so.
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - patently
NW, we've been over this so many times before that I think I may nod off soon.

Last time HMG announced the exact same "fairer speeding fines" idea, we looked at it closely and found that it actually meant stiffer penalties across the board. Speeds at which you would now be prosecuted get harsher penalties and speeds at which you would not (now) be NIPped got the current penalties. Another example of pure spin.

This is not a rebalancing to make the system fairer. It is an deepening of the alternative taxation system. It would only be fair if combined with an intelligent review of every speed limit, as Mark has pointed out to us tirelessly. And I mean an intelligent review - in more depth than the fatuous review of speed camera placement that concluded that every single one was justified, only for the later figures to show that (at most) 100 saved a life and 5,400 didn't.

I will vote for the first party to promise that they will treat me like a grownup and not lie to me. Ever ever. Cross their heart and hope to die.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............
This is not a rebalancing to make the system fairer.
It is an deepening of the alternative taxation system.

Patently, as you say, we've been round this one a few times before. But speeding fines are not taxation: they are a punishment for an easily avoidable offence.

If you don't want to pay them, just drive well enough within the limit to give yourself a margin of error. And if that's difficult, just make sure your next new car has a driver-controlled speed limiter.

(If you want it to have both a speed limiter and a propellor, you may need to have lengthy discsions with some Bavarians, but that's another day's work).
Cheeky - you're avoiding my criticism of the proposal.

And you're moving the discussion to something that we've been round and round (and round...) before.

In some circumstances, I'd agree with you. In others, I wouldn't. Unless we happen to be neighbours and can discuss specific examples in order to bring out the subtlety of the issue then I really don't have the time or energy to take it any further. Sorry.

(btw - both my cars have a "driver-controlled speed limiter" - it's fitted to the end of my right leg. The issue is that it sometimes disagrees with the town hall bureacrats.)
I don't want to moan on about speed limits as we always do...but...well I'm going to but only in relation to NW's post.

NW - in the nicest possible way, are you taking any hallucinogenic drugs? Do you laugh over a glass of cognac when you write these posts because I fear that's all they're good for now... a laugh. At first, the originality was mildly interesting but now it's boring...much like the rest of this post is going to be ;-)

>>If you don't want to pay them, just drive well enough within the limit to give yourself a margin of error<<

What??? Presumably you mean drive at...say....24mph. Would that be your margin of error? I understand that "speed kills" (in 7% of cases) But do you realise what would happen if we all drove that slow to give ourselves...ho ho ho...'margins of error'? Why not drive at 20...no - let's all ride around in horse and carts as you seemingly must do to live your daily life. If I were to ask the question "Have you ever broken the speed limit" I'm sure I'd get a very witty answer with a light-hearted joke about how you saw the error of your ways.

You also mention about 'radically reducing' some existing limits. Hmmph. I'll recite the age old argument of "the national speed limit was set when cars had pencil thin tyres and blah blah blah" Why on earth do the limits need to be raised even less - I thought there was a...*another laugh* s a f e t y c a m e r a in every accident blackspot.

Quite frankly, I now find your arguments rather repetetive - much like mine are but if you ever became government adviser for transport we'd get hanged for doing 72mph on the motorway because a kid may be walking on a bridge and may trip, somersault over the barrier and then land in front of a car.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to a friends house now; I'll need to drive on the quietest motorway in Britain - the m58 and of course I'll give myself a margin of error...shall we say 26mph - I don't think I could do much damage on the motorway at 44mph at 11pm do you?

Mods, I am very sorry for my long post and yes...it is rather boring but I feel so much better for it!

Thank you
Adam
Raise limits even less? I think I've been on too much Cognac...
Adam
>>If you don't want to pay them, just drive well enough
within the limit to give yourself a margin of error<<
What??? Presumably you mean drive at...say....24mph.
Would that be your margin of error?

Adam, if I couldn't control my speed rather better than within a 20% margin of error, I'd wonder whether I still deserved a licence. 10% should be enough.

And no, I don't travel in a horse and cart: have just driven a few hundred miles, mostly at about 55-60mph in a 60mph limit ... having insisted on taking over from a driver who was holding up the traffic by doing 50 and not pulling over to let people pass.

Yes, I have broken speed limits, just as I have broken other laws. Doesn't make it a good thing to do, nor does it make me think that limits shouldn't be enforced.
Here's the thing;

100% enforcement of correct speed limits is something I would support unreservedly.

However, 20mph is not categorically better than 30mph. It depends.

The freedom to do 60mph where 50mph is more reasonable is silly.

And it seems to me that there is as much logic and sense on the part of the "limit speeding gang" as there is on the part of the "speed cameras are evil gang".

Dirvers have spent years proving that they are, as a group, incapable of deciding an appropriate speed. The anti-speed campaigners have spent the last few years proving that neither can they.

I can't see either of you agreeing, and the losers will be those of us who are in neither camp.
Agreed. You'll not hear a peep out of me on this topic again :-)
Adam
Patently, sorry .. I didn't pick up on the point about wanting different limits, cos that seems to me to be a separate discussion, and (as you say) one we've done to death.

However, I have just been reading the actual consultation document rather than the news report. It's relatively short (2000 words) and straightforward: www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/docume...p (or tinyurl.com/3tukz )

A few interesting points:

* Point 23: the govt is not seeking to change the ACPO guidance on the threshold for prosection. (A pity, I reckon)

* Point 17-18: they want more speed awareness courses as an alternative to formal legal processes, subject to police discretion

* Points 14-15: The current guidance to local authorities on local speed limits is being revised and updated, consultation due shortly

* The current consultation applies only to fixed penalties
Thanks for the link, NW. Sadly, I now trust very little that I read/hear from HMG. It often upsets me that I feel this way, but once bitten, as they say.

I like the promotion of education for non-serial offenders. This might actually help. It will certainly have more effect on many than £60 and 3 points.

I don't like the paper's logic:

"Many people are killed or seriously injured on the roads. This is bad. (OK so far) Speeding is the main cause (err..) so it's all we're going to look at." This highlights the one-dimensional thought process that characterises today's approach to road safety.

It is having results; the NSL section of the A404 from Wycombe to Amersham is now a slower road than it was. I am having more near misses as a result. I meet Mr Nervous in front of me who has been spooked by the DANGER!!!! SLOW DOWN!!!! 14 PEOPLE DIED HERE!!!! signs and chug along behind him at 30. Then Gary in his Nova arrives behind me and decides that he wants to get past. Sadly there are few good overtaking opportunities so he takes what he can get.

There is actually an electronic sign on the A404 which flashes a warning to slow down for the oncoming bend. It warns you whatever speed you are travelling at. The message: any speed is too high.
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - jones_the_guard
Its all to do with money.
Chances are if your are driving a car (and not wearing a Burberry cap) you have some and they want to take some off you.
Example:
My brother, 31 yrs old, good job, Seat Leon Cupra, deserted M-way, 104mph, stopped, £300 fine fortnight ban.
I look in the "Whos in Court" section in the local press, No tax, no MOT, no insurance, no licence, speeding in 30mph limit. £25 fine and 3 points, on a licence he does'nt have!
These new measures just make it easier.

Also the 20mph limit outside the primary School near me is in force 24/7/365 even though the place has been deserted for the last 7 weeks!

The whole issue of speed limits needs a good looking at but its not going to happen any time soon.
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - Thommo
Unfortunately it is the case that some people are effectively exempt from some laws.

I have posted before about a single mother of 3 kids of my acquaintance. She used to sit next to me at junior school and she lives near my mother.

She continually drives around in an untaxed unlicenced car, most of the time over the speed limit. She is caught arrested and fined. The judges never jail her because that would upset her children. She has no money to pay the fines so she doesn't. She lives in a council house and has no goods that are seizable (there are strict rules on what can be removed from a house where children live). She is effectively exempt from the law until she kills someone and even then I'm not sure they would jail her.

My point, yes mods I'm getting there. Basically the Government and the Police have put forward the arguement that speeding is a TERRIBLE crime in all circumstances and draconian measures are needed to curb it. 100% enforcement. Now if they really believed this they would jail this woman. So why don't they? Why is this a major crime if you are 'rich' but can be bypassed if you are 'poor'?
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - No Do$h
Also the 20mph limit outside the primary School near me is
in force 24/7/365 even though the place has been deserted for
the last 7 weeks!

Deserted? Apart from the summer clubs, use of the sportsfield, evening judo clubs ......
'Fairer' speeding fines proposed - jones_the_guard
>Deserted? Apart from the summer clubs, use of the sportsfield, evening judo clubs ......

Yes, deserted, its not used for any of those activities.
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - SjB {P}
From today's Torygraph.

Wolverhampton Town Council to spend £60K encouraging 400 targeted households to set up "personalised travel plans" encouraging use of bicycles to travel to work.

Bournemouth Town Council is to use speed cameras to trap cyclists exceeding the 10mph limit along the 7 miles of sea-front promenade in a move to curb 'dangerous commuters' who have discovered that cycling is a healthy and time saving way to get to work...

Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - tartanraider
As Littlejohn would say,you couldn't make it up.....
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - Baskerville
10mph? That's a disgrace. We all know that modern bicycles, with their disk brakes, low profile tyres, high-tech suspension systems, and multiple gears are perfectly capable of doing 30mph safely. ;-)
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - paulb {P}
When does the compulsory registration scheme for local bicycles start, and where is it proposed that the number plates are fitted? Cameras aren't going to be much cop unless you can trace the riders.

Is there any public body these days that even understands the concept of thinking things through fully?
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - CM
I presume that the police will be enforcing speeding cyclists or is some other organisation able to impose fines?

refreshing to see that this country is using the limited resources to full and beneficial effect.
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - Baskerville
I think it's a "Beach Officer" with a radar gun/camera device, not an automatic camera. They give a warning and an advice leaflet, which seems fair--training in effect.
Is there any public body these days that even understands the
concept of thinking things through fully?

So the answer is yes.
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - pdc {P}
So does it actually say in law that cyclists can not travel at the max permitted speed for a road, which I presume will be 30 for the road in question?
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - paulb {P}
I think it's a "Beach Officer" with a radar gun/camera device,
not an automatic camera. They give a warning and an
advice leaflet, which seems fair--training in effect.
>> Is there any public body these days that even understands
the
>> concept of thinking things through fully?
So the answer is yes.

Well, fair enough, but

a) pedal cycles are not generally fitted with speedometers, so how do Bournemouth CC propose that riders measure their speed with any accuracy?

b) what is to be done with those who ignore the warnings and leaflets? Are they going to be prosecuted, or will it be more warnings? What if they refuse to stop?

I live in a seaside resort myself and know how lethal nutters on bikes bombing along the prom can be, especially when it's a sunny day and the whole world and their children and family pets are enjoying a stroll.

However, though its aim is laudable, I suspect that this scheme will end up going down the well-trodden path of irritating the majority, while having zero effect on those at whom it is aimed.

There must be far better things on which the local authority could spend money, than launching what amounts to a nannying safety campaign which will waste thousands and ultimately achieve little.

Better, surely, to get the law down there regularly and nick a few of the nutters. I have heard of cases where repeat "cycle nuisance" offenders have, apparently, had their bikes confiscated, although I'm not sure whether this is true or just an urban myth.
Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - martint123
The paper I saw it in said the speed limit on the promenade was a bylaw and I think council officers can impose on the spot fines for breaches??

Bicycle to work? Just don't speed. - BrianW
"pedal cycles are not generally fitted with speedometers, so how do Bournemouth CC propose that riders measure their speed with any accuracy?"

Only being an occasional cyclist, I wouldn't have a clue as to whether I was doing 9mph, 11mph or 15mph: how would I be supposed to comply with this law?
Much of the clampdown on speed and speeding in recent years has been based on the research cited by the DfT showing that one third of accidents are caused by excessive speed.

Even leaving aside the non-sequitor inherent in this, many have queried the validity of the one third claim, pointing to a number of factors that were added up to make 30%, over and above "excessive speed" itself. Some of these factors were arguable only tangentially related to speed.

The DfT has now stated:

"The Department has, in the past suggested that around one third of accidents are speed related. This is not a figure it continues to use. But not because the Department no longer believes in its accuracy. Just as speed is a complex issue, so is the recording of contributory factors."

Two questions spring to mind:

1. Exactly what is the distinction between this being "not because the Department no longer believes in its accuracy" and being "because the Department now believes it to be inaccurate" and why has one been drawn?

2. Can we trust anything said by HMG any more?
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - Adam {P}
I\'m afraid I don\'t have the patience like NW to peruse the Internet scouring for facts about speeding. Nor do I have the faintest idea what percentage of accidents are caused by speeding. I\'ve read (on here I think) that it was 7% but lets say for arguments sake that it is a third. (Patently seems to be right about everything else!)

Now I know I must seem like the other extreme - speeding is great - let\'s raise all limits - down with cameras. I know I always bang on about the injustices of Gatsos but I\'m not going to mention them once. I have two questions of my own.

1. How does speed get distinguished as a contributory factor to an accident? Surely there must be some accidents where, whilst speeding, driver error was the cause. Bad brakes. Diesel on the road. I\'m sure that excessive speed is causing accidents somewhere but I just want to be set straight.

2. Rather more sceptical and I suppose with a hint of sarcasm but what is being done about the other 2 thirds of causes of accidents? You know - the other 66%? Presumably, some of these accidents are caused by drink drivers. Ok. Something is being done about them. Dagnerous driving? Faulty car? Driver on the phone. I forgot though - we don\'t have little boxes at the side of the road that can instantly \'penalise\' those offences do we? We used to have little white cars with little blue lights that sorted them out...I think they were called the...Polis, Poliz...Police! It\'s like someone I know (of) who drives without insurance, no MOT or tax. Could this be one of the most dangerous people on the road? But why pay £60 for tax, maybe a grand for insurance, 20 quid for an MOT. If he hits someone and drives off he\'ll only get fined £80.

You can breathe a sigh of relief now as I\'m going to finish but not before I repeat one of my earlier arguments. WE have been told for years that 31mph will send us to hell. Speed kills. Now it looks like speed still kills....but it\'s ok to do it a little.

Thanks for allowing me to blab on,

Adam
Whoops! Someone didn't end the italics!
Adam
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - Mark (RLBS)
better ?
Cheers - I don't know why everyone talks about you behind your back Mark - you're not all bad!

;-)

Thanks again
Adam
>>Agreed. You'll not hear a peep out of me on this topic again :-)

Since you now owe me a favour, perhaps you could help. I'm trying to remember who made the above comment. Any idea ?

8-)

Er...isn't he that man who can sign in under other people's names and masquerade as them? I think his real name is...er....Bob? Yes. Dave that's right.

In the poor lad's defence, technically, speed limits or cameras weren't mentioned.

Semantics.

By the way - the next time Patently stages a coup to overthrow the mods I'm not going to stop him!

:o
Adam
the next time Patently stages a coup to overthrow the mods
I'm not going to stop him!

Next time? Did I miss the last time then?
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - teabelly
If we raise all speed limits to 250mph then obviously no accidents due to exceeding the speed limit can occur! An instant reduction of 30% in fatalities according to camera partnerships' figures :-)
teabelly
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX - NowWheels
If we raise all speed limits to 250mph then obviously no
accidents due to exceeding the speed limit can occur! An instant
reduction of 30% in fatalities according to camera partnerships' figures :-)

That's a masterpiece, worthy of the Paul Smith school of statistical tricks. You should send it to him :)
the Paul Smith school of statistical tricks. You should send
it to him :)

Oh yes - the school that believes that awkward questions should be asked not ignored.

Paul Smith is an amateur when it comes to statistical tricks, NoWheels. The professionals are all busily employed at Millbank.
Oh yes - the school that believes that awkward questions should
be asked not ignored.

When the BBC got Prof Stone to check these things out, Stone noted that PS was so fixated on details that he didn't spot the big picture.

Paul Smith's now at it again. He has a webpage on Prof Stone's work, at www.safespeed.org.uk/stone.html

You have to hunt carefully, near the bottom of the page, before you find any mention of Prof Stone's key conclusion -- that there should be lots of hidden cameras, randomly deployed.

The selectivity is an interesting attempt to spin things his way. But considering how he complains about others purportedly misrepresenting things, it's amusing to see how blatantly he's playing those sort of tricks himself.
This is fast turning into "one of those" threads again. Are we ever going to agree - if we ever do, I'll...eat my trousers.
Adam
Are we ever going to agree - if we ever do, I'll...eat
my trousers.

Don't worry, I'm sure that some day you'll learn to love the sped camras and the speeed buumps ... and then, as a special treat, we'll let you cook your trousers before eating em
the speeed buumps

Were you going over one when you typed that, NW?

Anyway, before the thread heads off in its usual direction, any thoughts on:

1. Exactly what is the distinction between this being "not because the Department no longer believes in its accuracy" and being "because the Department now believes it to be inaccurate" and why has one been drawn?

2. Can we trust anything said by HMG any more?
>>Are we ever going to agree - if we ever do, I'll...eat my trousers.

I whole-heartedly agree with Adam. I call on all right-minded folks to agree with him immediately, whether or not his views are alien to you.
Well - we have all the ingredients of a Friday afternoon here complete with the jokers...which reminds me - where's ND?
Adam