Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - NRB
My 1994 Golf Mk3 1.4 (ABD engine) has a head gasket problem, I assume, but has had for about a year, which seems like a long time for a dodgy head gasket to last. The main symptom is pressurisation of the cooling system. I can run the car one day, and when I remove the expansion tank cap the next there is obvious excess pressure; if I don't release the pressure gradually coolant sprays out. It gets through a bit of coolant (0.5 litres every few hundred miles), although some of this is what sprays out when I remove the cap. Also the level in the tank is obviously depressed after a day or two of running, but rises when I release the pressure. There are not other obvious symptoms such as oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil or overheating.

The problem became apparent after I replaced the radiator (and hoses) about a year ago (although this may have cause the leak in the old radiator). I assume that exhaust gas (or air) must be getting into the system, hence the depressed level after running; I have not observed any swollen hoses etc before releasing the pressure. It is possible that some coolant is forced out of the tank during running. I replaced the expansion tank cap, in case this wasn't releasing the pressure built up under normal operation. I think I have also noticed some bubbles entering the tank when running the engine with the cap off.

Any ideas? Do I just wait until the head gasket gives up properly? I don't feel inclined to do anything about it until it does, although I know I should!
Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - Civic8
Just a thought but had same prob with a couple of corsas.turned out to be one jubilee clip slightly off centre so the pipe was drawing in air.straightend out the clip retightened and prob went.hope that helps?
I had the same thought and tightened up each of the clips, but to no avail. I will try again and check they are all aligned correctly. I thought this might be an explanation, and the loss of coolant being that forced out of the expansion tank. Thanks for the suggestion.
Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - Peter D
If you had re-torqued the head down when this problem first started you probably would have sealed the gasket. It is still worth a try now but you may have gone too far and the gasket or head may have been damaged by the high pressure steam that can be generated. However assuming it is a very minor leak re-torque the head down either by the standard method or just crack them undone and torgue them down to 80ft lbs, you will be amazed at how loose the bolts have become.. Give that a try for a while and if you still have a prob then off with the head. You may have to have the head skimmed. So the cam and all the valves will have to come out, take the opportunity of removing the cam sprocket before removing the head, if the bolt is reluctant to loosen warm the bolt head up to release the thread lock and do not forget to replace the valve stem oil seals. etc etc. Regards Peter
Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - GGH
NRB
Are you sure it is a head/gasket problem. The water in the header tank tends to turn into weak brown sludge if your engine does have a top end combustion leak.
No, I'm not certain that the head gasket is actually leaking but I am short of other ideas. The only alternative I could come up with, and re-iterated above, was air being sucked into the system, but I cannot identify a leak anywhere (although this doesn't mean there isn't one). If you can make any other suggestions I would pleased to hear them.
I'm sure it is a leaking head gasket probably left hand cylinder rear surface water to poy leak so no oil contamination and no sludge in the header tank. Very common on this engine fixed lots of them. Regards Peter
Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - Civic8
You seem to have tried everything so far except a leak on the heater matrix.(shot in the dark)but yes would go along with Peter.in a case like that it would be most certain gasket going.how long it will last for is anyones guess.If you have had the problem before the only thing you can do is replace and get head skimmed otherwise you will have the same prob again.
Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - Hawesy1982
My 306 did EXACTLY as you describe, and eventually was found to be a pin-prick hole in a heater pipe, invisible to the naked eye! When the engine was warm, water vapour would seep out, allowing air in. My problem also occurred after a rad change, and the car soldiered on with no performance problems for another 5000miles
A pin hole in a pipe may let water out but it is not going to pressurize the system, in fact the opposite. it will depressurize it. So you did not have the same symtoms. Regards Peter
Golf Mk3 - Head Gasket Problem - RichardW
My first BX TD always had pressure in the cooling system when cold, and used a small amount of water - being nieve I assumed this was normal and just kept driving it - for 70,000 miles! Eventually it started to use quite a bit of water and looking in the expansion tank lots of bubbles were evident, so I had to change the head gasket - of course this happened the day AFTER I spent £250 on it to get a new MOT.....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....