Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - astraman
Help - can anyone explain the problem i have. I have not long bought an Astra 1.6 16v SXi 2003 5 door and it has done 3500 miles to date (I bought it at 2300 miles). It doesn't get hammerred and i have looked after it since i bought it at the end of March this year, 2004. I have done 1200 miles in it since i have bought it and i have had to top the oil up 3 times during this time. When i say top it up i mean top it up from the min level on the dip stick to the max(approx) level on the dip stick. I have never had a car that i need to do this to. Vauxhall are saying that this is normal for a car with low mileage and will settle down at around 9000 miles (I have asked them twice with the same response on both occasions). The AA have given me the same response. I dont think this is right - is there anyone out there who has the same car please let me know if they have had the same problem and if it does settle down eventually??
Thanks
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Sooty Tailpipes
The factory fill oil might be a bedding-in oil that burns more readilly.
Might be worth writing a letter to Vauxhall Customer Services, and keeping a copy of it and the reply in case it turns ito a saga!
- thanks for the reply - i forgot to mention that every so often it will blow out a cloud of blue smoke when started in the mornings - it has also had its first service a month ago (yearly one) - would the factory fill oil still be present? (I would have thought that they would have replaced the oil?!) I suppose with the amount of oil i am replacing, the "fill oil" will work its way out of the engine and eventually settle down

Thanks
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Civic8
I dont recall any such thing as bedding down oil.from what you said would put it down to valve seals/guides.oil change should in most cases get rid of any bad oil in system.if problem persists take it back to whom you got it.and make a point of it.
Thanks for the reply - i have e-maild vauxhall and i will ring them on Monday - the problem with the valves, could that have happenned with such a low mileage. I have heard that the Zafiras have the problem that i am experiencing and it has been found that the bores have been to highly polished - could this be linked to that ?
If it is a problem with the valve seal/guides would this be a majour problem to fix ? - is there any additives that could be used to clean them such as reddex etc ?
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Civic8
I shouldnt think so but am not into vauxhalls.I cant see how too highly polished bores will cause this.ie rings not sealing properly usually means oil burning all the time.but could be wrong.doubt it though.valve seals guides arent really a major job.but not knowing the car maybe it is.as I say I dont know the car.but as is new you should not have this prob.? ps dont use any additives warranty will be lost.?
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Sooty Tailpipes
You're right, the factory-fill is Shell Helix G, and as the problem doesn't seem to be getting any better, I think you have to compalin big time, and make sure you make them aware you already have. Sounds to me like manufacturing defect.
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall are saying that this is normal for
a car with low mileage and will settle down at around
9000 miles

Put it this way, my Dad has had several brand new Astra's, in fact every Mk there's ever been made apart from the lastest one, and not one has required topping up with any oil between services. The lowest the dipstick has ever got is half way between min & max.

As you've not had it long, I would see if you can exchange it or get a refund. Something isn't right somewhere.

Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Start giving it a 'bit of stick'. Dont thrash it just run it at the upper end of the rev counter and keep it out of 5th until you are doing 60+. Sounds like the bores are glazed and the rings aren't sealing yet. It may recover. Also avoid the 200yard school and shop runs scenario.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Thanks for the advice - i have also heard this from some one else who i work with (regarding the glazing)- if it doesn't clear, would it be a big job to fix? also would this have any long term effect on the car, i tend to keep them for a good 60-70k miles so i dont want to be storing the problem up for the later years. I have been thinking of p/ex'ing the car but i like the car and is seems a shame as it is, for 1 year old, in excelent condition. (My wife hasn't driven it yet so that could change soon !!)

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated

regards
Shaun
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Chas{P}
I ran a Mk3 '97 Astra with the 1.6 16V engine from 26500 miles to 97000 miles. Oil consumption was always around 1 litre per 2000 miles. When the cam belt at 70000 miles (had been changed previously) prematurely snapped the cylinder head had new valves, guides etc. This didn't make any difference to the oil consumption.

The conclusion I made is that petrol Ecotec engines seem to use oil. You just can't do the modern thing of never lifting the bonnet between services.

Dealers will not do anything about it unless it is burning more than 1 litre per 1000 miles.

HTH

Charles
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - John S
astraman

My experience of new Vauxhalls is that they do use some oil initially, but nothing like those quantities, then virtually stop using it. Current 2002 1.8 SXi - used maybe a third of a litre in the first 6000. Topped it up and since then - nothing used. 2 litre ecotec Vectra, some small use for the first few thousand, and still used virtually no oil at 80k, ditto Cavalier 1.8. However, in all cases the engines were not run in until they'd done perhaps 10k miles. The fuel consumption seemd to improve over that time, and then stabilised.

Try Andrew Moorey's idea, but note that Vx reckon 1 litre/1000 miles is OK. Your car seems far worse than this. That is a case for complaint once it's done a few miles.

Regards

John S
Thanks for everyones replies - sound like there is a problem. I will give it a thrash for a bit and see if the oil useage improves. It is such a hasstle putting it into the dealer - that is when they finally will accept there is a problem and allow me to book it in. Keep getting told that it is normal for the car..!! Actually thinking of part-ex'ing it for another model or a different car altogether !
CARS - WHO NEEDS THEM !!
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - Aprilia
This car is using a serious amount of oil. Even with glazed bores it should not use this amount. I would try to find out what happened to it during its first 2300 miles - who owned it? If is was a rental/lease car then it is unlikely to have been driven gently and glazing should not be a problem.
The puff of blue smoke on start up indicates oil getting down the valve guides.
Something is not kosher about the car and you need to get information on its history.
Thanks for the reply - i have been on holiday and not long been back. I know the history of the car in that it was bought by a woman from first registration, her first Vauxhall, and she didn't like it - the Registration confirms this. It was used for 7 months on what i can only think would be short "school runs" due to the low mileage when i bought it of 2500 miles considering it was almost 1 year old when i bought it. I am monitoring it closely now and keeping notes of the oil useage. It is still using oil but i am running it until it gets to the min level on the dip stick to ascertain how much oil it is using. Vauxhall have replied to a mail that i sent and have stated that 1 litre per 1000 miles is normal - as i have had a vauxhall, one model or another, for the past 18 years i dont think this is right as no other car i have had had used oil like this and also a few friends who have the same car, but have done more mileage, have not had to top up any oil. It has used one quarter up to now (measureing from the dip stick)and has done just under 200 miles. It has not smoked during this time but i started it today after finishing work and it blew smoke out and then cut out 3 miles down the road. i left it for approx 1 min and started it again and it started fine. (pretty annoyed today with it as my wifes car - another VX (Corsa) packed in when she was on an errand for me when i was in work and that is now in the garage requiring a fuel pump - i think)!

Anyway - thanks for the reply - i will post another when i get any more info
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - BobbyG
Actually thinking of part-ex\'ing it for another model or a
different car altogether !

Astraman, I assume the above quote is out of frustration? You only got the car in March and you are talking about part exchanging it? You will lose soooo much money on that! If you are thinking of doing this because of the hassle you are getting, then you need to step up a gear, follow the advice that has been given in previous complaint posts, put things in writing, keep records of everything and try and take it to a different garage as it will still be under manufacturers warranty.
Thanks for the reply - yes it was a comment made out of frustration, i like the car but am getting nowhere with the service dept although they have replied to a mail i sent and said that the oil useage was normal !? I have had Vauxhall after Vauxhall and had no real problems with any so i have not had to deal with problems with them up to now. I wont buy another model from them again..shame really as they have some nice cars out there.
Astra 2003 SXI Oil problem - prm
Check out www.astra-sport.co.uk this seems to be a bit of a problem on the 16v 1.6 engines. Apparently the 8v is ok, and the 1.8 16v doesn't suffer either. It is a known problem to Vauxhall. Just a side note my 1.8 vectra has 97,000 miles on it and doesn't use any oil between 8-10,000 mile changes.(dont you just love to hear that)