Road Fund Licence - yellow lemon
Hi,

I went to buy a pre registered motor last night. We did the deal and then right at the end the guy says would you like to pay for six months or a years road tax?

On that basis am I within my rights to cash in the remaining tax on my current vehicle?

Is the old tax disc usually part of the deal or is it "a bonus" for the trader?

Road Fund Licence - Mark (RLBS)
Its not really a "rights" thing. Its a negotiation thing. Personally I would use not getting tax as an argument for keeping existing tax, but its really down to the deal you agree.
Road Fund Licence - Singer-G
Usually you'll be asked how much tax your car has when a part-ex price is agreed. If the tax on your part-ex has been mentioned in negotiations, either verbally, or written down on a trade-in form along with mileage, MOT etc, then it is part of the deal. Otherwise it is yours, but if you leave it in there they won't tell you. They'll just cash it in. If it hasn't been specifically included just remove it when you take your car in.
Road Fund Licence - Andrew-T
When selling privately, you can be sure that any free money on the windscreen will be taken into consideration. When trading in, you might as well leave fivers on the passenger seat. Your car may be off the road for a few months, so I would regard unused tax as recoverable expenditure - unless it is explicitly included in the deal.