Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XVI - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see vol XVII for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22564

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XV is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
German Road Penalties - Orson {P}
Apologies for asking this again, but it got moved the last time I wrote it, and no-one answered me....Mods: please could it stay outside the speeding thread, at least until someone answers? Thanks!

I've had something through from Hertz, with regard to a traffic offence. The German word is "Ordnungswidrigkeit" which means administrative offence. Assuming I was speeding (safe bet), what are the penalties in Germany for an offence committed in March?

I have no idea how fast I was going (didn't see a camera, and was unaware of a speed limit on that bit of motorway). To date, I've been charged 23 euros, which I suspect is just Hertz's admin fee for telling me I've been a naughty boy.

Anyone else been done like this?

Thanks,

O
German Road Penalties - smokie
if you get no sensible reply in a short time, email me the text of what you have and I will ask a friend who lives in Munich to translate...
German Road Penalties - Malcolm_L
Hope that it's a parking ticket and the 23 euros is the full and final settlement!
German Road Penalties - Armitage Shanks{P}
I'm going to Germany on Saturday and hiring a car - I'll ask the desk people and post their reply on Sunday. I think you are right in saying that "Ordnung" means an "order" ie an admin matter and not criminal.
German Road Penalties - Armitage Shanks{P}
Further to my last posting, a check on www.freetranslation.com says that the word you are querying means "Infringement" so it sounds like some sort of parking thing. I will still check it out tomorrow and let you know if there is anything further to add.
German Road Penalties - Cardew
Go to world.altavista.com

You can type up to 150 words of German and it will give you the English translation.

Like this:

Sie können bis 150 Wörter des Deutschen schreiben und es gibt Ihnen die englische Übersetzung.

You can then be very clever and use the site to translate German into French

Like this:

Ils peuvent l'écrire à 150 mots de l'Allemand et vous donnent la traduction anglaise.

Then French to Italian:

Possono l'écrire a 150 parole di l'Allemand e vi danno la traduzione inglese.

Finally Italian back to English and it comes out as:

They can l'écrire to 150 words of l'Allemand and it gives the English translation to you.

Well nobody is perfect!
German Road Penalties - xam
Bad Luck Orson?!!?

Living in Germany and sometimes driving to the UK I'm not to concerned about making minor infringements to the uk driving laws with German registration plates. However this is the first example of "cross border fine chasing" between Germany and the UK that I have heard of.

France, Holland Belgium and Germany have active "cross border fines" but as far as I know, the UK has never co-operated with them before, perhaps the people in power are beginning to realise the geographical position of the UK.

Has anybody had experience of "fine chasing" in the opposite direction - UK to Germany

Xam
German Road Penalties - Aprilia
Presumably he got the ticket because its a German-registered Hertz rental car? So they chase Hertz and Hertz in turn pass it on to him - I don't think that's unusual.
German Road Penalties - Bagpuss
Sounds like your Hertz car was caught by a speed camera. "Ordnungswidrigkeit" means it was a minor offence e.g. less than 10km/h over the speed limit. The fines for minor offences are relatively low, 23 Euro sounds about right. Fines for more major offences (>30km/h over the limit, jumping red light, tailgating) can quickly relieve you of several hundred Euros as well as your licence. Bear in mind that here in Germany, the traffic control cameras are generally well hidden so you are unlikely to see them.
German Road Penalties - patpending
Bagpuss is right, an "Ordnungswidrigkeit" is an official police fine but without the more severe consequences of the "Straftat" or criminal act.

No offence should normally be ?23 - up to 10kph over the limit is ?15 in town or 11-15 over is ?20 out of town. Alternatively parking in "no parking" for up to 3 hours is ?20...*

I know the usual defence in Germany is to say "I was not driving the car at the time and I am not prepared to say anything else". I know that if say an Austrian fine is followed up into Germany the German police leave the matter there.

HOWEVER the offence stays "active" for some years after that! so that motorist could be in hot water if stopped while driving in Austria....

SO given that Hertz are involved too this looks tricky...the auto motor & sport booklet on German car fines is 26 pages long!

just paying up could be the best option.

hth

pat

* unless you were towing someone on the autobahn and didn't leave at the first available exit! ?20...!
German Road Penalties - Orson {P}
Thanks to all who have helped, and especially to Armitage Shanks (I think!).

The hire was a German plated car from Frankfurt, so yes, just the same as a camera would be here. Hertz have already taken it off the card, I think - certainly the form gives my card details and says that it isn't a demand for payment. Guess I was relatively lucky then.

The best thing about it was that I ordered a medium sized car and got a 5 series, which I thoroughly enjoyed1

O
German Road Penalties - patpending
Just to add to this, the penalties are issued to the keeper, not the driver.

There is a maximum 2 weeks to appeal, after which the fine becomes final. (although in exceptional circs eg "I was on holiday" can apply).

An Ordnungswidrigkeit lapses after 3 months, however if the authorities launch inquiries into the identity of the driver, this time is suspended.

The keeper is expected to be able to fill in a questionnaire within 2 weeks of the offence to say who was driving, otherwise he will be expected to keep a log in future.

However by 3 weeks afterwards he is no longer expected to remember.

German offences can only be followed up in Germany and Austria. (this presumably doesn't actually let you off the hook as the keeper was identified in Germany and was effectively keeping a log of drivers).

A British keeper's offence in Germany cannot be chased into the UK and vice versa, although bailiff bureaux try to get the cash anyway with only moral but not legal backing.

Even from 2005 there will be a minimum chase of ?70.

(source = FOCUS magazine)

pat
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - Adam {P}
Right. First things first, feel free Mark, Dave or No Dosh to move this to the Speeding thread but I just want more people to see it so they can answer me quicker!

Before I was driving along and entered a rural (ish) 40mph. I'm sure you all know what I am about to say - yes I was speeding by about 7mph. Anyway. The road declines slightly and there is a gentle bend. However, halfway up, I saw a white van and a red VW Bora parked in what can only be described as a layby. Me being the person that I am (paranoid) think "That's odd" and brake pretty quickly. Lo and behold, on the left hand side of the bend, as I rounded the corner were 2 nice, brightly coloured people who looked highly suspicious on this road I might add. One had a clipboard and the other had a laser gun. However, here's where the plot thickens.

I am almost sure I had slowed down enough by the time I would have been in their sites but I am not sure that they were catching speeders. Here's why.

1) The woman had a clipboard which as far as I know, unless you are stopped further up the road or caught on camera, isn't any good on it's own.

2) The man holding the laser gun just looked a little suspicious. He had it against his stomach pointing towards the traffic rounding the bend who, unless they were obeying the speed limit, would have been caught

3) The laser gun wasn't the usual LTI 20/20 they use - it had no camera on. In fact, it looked just like a travel hairdryer.

I think, and feel free to shoot me down on this one, that they were a traffic survey team. Could they have been measuring the traffic speed to decide whether to put a camera there? I only say this because there was a SERCO van sniffing around the other week and if they were in fact doing speeders for prosectution, the aim on the gun couldn't have been all that accurate.

I understand I was speeding so I'll take what's coming but it just didn't feel right. Surely a notepad with my numberplate on could be laughed away if it turned nasty.

Many thanks on any thoughts you may have

CHeers

ADam
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
A little addendum.

The road in question was lowered in speed limit from NSL to 40 last year. I know that doesn't really help but it makes me seem less of a villain.
--
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - Altea Ego
Where was this? Some police areas are equiping the local busybodies and neibourhood watch teams with speed guns. East Northants springs to mind.

Not sure tho what powers they have once they have a speeder in the sights.

The area in question would be covered by Merseyside Police. I wasn't pulled over (obviously) but had I not been suspicious and slowed down upon seeing a van (which I should add wasn't aything to do with them :-) ) I would have gone past them a lot quicker.

The person holding it musn't have been trained as he didn't have the steadiest hand but then had a brand new Bora Sport which concerns me slightly or should I join the neighbourhood watch scheme now?

--
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - Armitage Shanks{P}
Wait 14 and a bit days and hope for the best. If a nasty NIP arrives you could always tear it up and claim that it is one of the 14 MILLION items of post that go missing each year!
Thanks for all of your replies. Like I said - if it was for speeding, then I was, so I'll hold my hands up even if I do disagree with the limit. Before that can of worms gets opened, I'm not for one moment suggesting that either me or anyone else should speed in a limit they deem to be ridiculous.

I really wish you could see the road in question. It has the gentlest bends with no houses and surprisingly wide. If I had the time or the inclination to stand on it with a camera, I'd take a photo of it but I'm sure that would be taking it too far.

Thanks again for your replies

Adam.
--
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - NowWheels
it sounds more like the new Mothers Union hitsquads. The laser gun is designed to look like a speeding-detection device, but its really a cunning EMP device which can disable the elevtronics of a modern car and make it crash. It's all part of the MU's new "tough love" approach to marital disputes -- the clipboard-holding person is there to identify miscreants ...
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - frostbite
From your description I would say there's a good chance they were what Mrs Malaprop would have called 'Village Aunties'.

You might get a slap on the wrist letter in that case.
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - mark999
If you were doing 47mph by your spedo your actual speed would be about 44mph. If you managed to slow a bit I think you would be ok.
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - owen
Occaisionally traffic surveys are done to justify, for example, a new junction or access onto the road. E.g. there are requirements for visibility from a new access/junction, which are dependent on speed limits. If the current speed limit means that the visibility requirements prevent any new junction, then the traffic planners may still allow it if it can be proved that the average traffic speed is lower than the speed limit. This happens most often on NSL roads, where although the limit may be 60 (hence requiring 215 metres of visibility in both directions) the average speed is much lower due to the road layout. Just one possibility; it certainly doesn't sound like the police anyway!
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - PoloGirl
Sounds like Owen suggested, or could they have been using an ANPR camera as opposed to one that checks speed? Were there any police around at all?

Good luck with it anyway - if the post on Merseyside is anything like here, you should know in about six weeks!

Once again, thanks very much for your replies people. I'm hoping it was a traffic survery as the way they were standing didn't look like the usual police setup, plus the fact, a SERCO van has been sniffing around recently and coupled with the lowering of the speed limit from NSL to 40, I'm wondering if we're yet to see a camera but it definitely wasn't ANPR and there were no police although I did turn off further up so maybe I missed the inevitable being pulled over.

I'll keep you all informed anyway but PG, six weeks would be quick for us!

Thanks again

Adam
--
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - patpending
"the limit being ludicrous" is a valid defence in a German court curiously. I just read about a 50kph limit on a wide road as it goes past a popular bathing lake (to protect summer bathers as they cross the road) - and some bloke got done at 6am on a winter morning!

his appeal that the limit was not serving its purpose was successful!

pat

PS I too always keep to the posted limit whether or not I think it's justified. look out for the 40kph limits in Finnish towns though!
I've been bad and got caught - or have I - Singer-G
My local school have been campaigning for a reduction in the speed limit. (The school is in a straggling village on a rural 'A' road and the current limit is 50.) As part of this campaign they were able to borrow a radar speed gun from the local authority (Gloucestershire CC) to measure existing speeds. The gun was operated by voluteers. Statistics were taken of the number of cars in each speed band, e.g. 40-45, 45-50, 50-55 etc, hence the clip-board. No registration numbers were recorded. All measurements were taken in dry weather as they wimped out of getting wet for their cause.

I think you may have been caught by something like this. You say the limit was lowered about a year ago. Perhaps this sort of survey was done before the new limit was applied, and has been repeated now to see if the new limit has had any effect.
Thanks again for your replies,

Singer, that sounds like the most logical explanation. They did look a little sloppy and considering that no prosecutions depended on the readings, then this could be it. As always, I will keep you apprised of any new developments.

Thanks again,

Adam
--
I\'ve been bad and got caught - update - Adam {P}
Some of you may recall that last week I thought I may have been caught speeding by a suspicious pair of people in flourescent jackets.

I can now confirm that these people WERE SPEED TRAPPING. I was in my Dad\'s car telling him about last week when we saw the same red Bora parked on the other side of the road. Naturally I told him to watch out when lo and behold, the same pair of people with the laser gun hidden on a bend only this time the man was holding the gun in a more traditional aggressive way pointing it almost like a pistol. These people were trying to catch speeders and I can only assume Tuesday is the day they do this road.

The plot thickens....

--
\"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will\"
Should the Police set an example? - patently
I think I have mentioned before now that my daily commute is up the M40, junctions 4 to 8 or 9 in fact.

Now, both yesterday morning and today a marked police van has joined the M40 at about 7:40 am at junction 4 and proceeded in a northerly direction. Nothing odd about that, but it has then driven at an erratic speed between 80 and 95 (indicated), tailgated at about 6 foot separation, and cut out in front of several drivers (me included).

Needless to say, there is utter chaos behind it as people who approach from behind at the higher speeds that are, err, not uncommon on the M40 suddenly hit the gaggle of drivers who don\'t feel able to go past it, try to push past, get to the front of the gaggle and then hit the brakes when they finally notice the paintwork.

Now, I\'ve pondered informing the local constabulary, but can foresee a conversation along the lines of:

BiB: \"How do you know?\"
me: \"Because I was just behind it when it was doing 90\"
BiB: \"And what was your speed at the time?\"
me: \"Errr.... ummmm...\"
BiB: \"Can I just jot down your registration number please?\"

I\'m not sure which concerns me more, the potential danger caused by what is in effect a moving roadblock on the motorway, or the hypocrisy of driving in a way that should prompt a patrol car to pull him over.

Would be interested to know what the BR thinks.
Should the Police set an example? - Singer-G
The police should keep to the speed limit like everyone else, unless they are on an emergency call, in which case they should be using their considerable array of additional warning devices, i.e. blue lights and funny noises.

I agree it would be foolhardy to report a police vehicle doing 90MPH if you were following it also doing 90MPH. However, if you were doing 70MPH in the middle lane, and such a vehicle passed you at 90MPH, following anothe vehicle much too closely you could report it.
Should the Police set an example? - Sooty Tailpipes
Well, I reckon, being in the POLICE these days is such a carp job, that they really have to scrape the barrel when it comes to recruitment. This shows in both their driving manner, telephone manner and how they deal with you face to face.
They certainly aren't what they used to be, and I don't blame the officers, it's the government and liberal elite.
Should the Police set an example? - Singer-G
Its not a job I'd want to do. I'm glad there are people out there prepared to do it. But they shouldn't be above the law. They should set an example. To be fair, most motorway patrol cars are well driven. When not on a call they usually drive below 70MPH, to save fuel, and to allow other traffic to filter cautiously past them, at about 70ish.
Should the Police set an example? - Altea Ego
Hey this rings bells. Month or so back I was on my way to Warwick on the M40 and i recall thinking at the time "this police van drivers driving is not good". It would be about the time you mentioned.
Wonder why a cop van does the same run every morning?
Should the Police set an example? - T Lucas
Collecting the doughnuts.
Should the Police set an example? - Adam {P}
Please don't rip into the police! That's what I want to do when I leave uni!

Not traffic though of course
--
Should the Police set an example? - OldPeculiar
Most of the police on the M4 sit at 65-70 quite happily, it's funny watching everyone tiptoe round them!

However when I've seen them on a 'shout' they always seem to have just the blue lights on and no siren, given how well people use thier mirrors I would have thought it would be a good idea to use the siren as well although I'm not to sure how effective they are on the motorway.

Oh, and like ambulences and those white vans from the council they should be setting a good example (and generally do)
Should the Police set an example? - BrianW
I believe that they only use the sirens when necessary, so as not to offend the neighbours.
Should the Police set an example? - OldPeculiar
I would consider any occasion where the emergency services are traveling well in excess of the speed limit to be necessary for using a siren (and if you live that close to the M4 then sirens are the least of your worries;)
Should the Police set an example? - Dynamic Dave
Ooh, another one for the speeding thread.

Kick -> Weeeeeeeeee.

DD.
Should the Police set an example? - pdc {P}
Report the driver. I've done similar several times in the past. Always got a call from an inspector telling me that the officer in question had not been on an emergency call, had been warned and reminded that they are there to set an example, and I was asked if that was satisfactory or would I like further action to be taken.

Okay, so it may seem petty, along with my crusade against untaxed police vehicles, but let's have a level playing field eh? I'm not a believer in do as I say, not as I do.

Just call and tell them that you were travelling behind a police vehicle at 70mph and it was accellerating away, until it came upon other vehicles, when it slowed and you caught it. That is how you know it was speeding.
Should the Police set an example? - patently
Thanks pdc.

I called them in the evening, when I was calm again. Took an "I'm very concerned that..." attitude, which seemed to work.

Their operator suggested he may have been on an emergency call, but agreed he probably wasn't when I pointed out (a) he'd gone from jn 4 to jn 9 or beyond and (b) he'd done it two days running at the same time.

We didn't get onto the subject of exactly how I knew him to have been speeding for so long, although he did ask if he could take some details. I politely declined, explaining that I use that stretch every day and don't want to be known as the one who shopped one of their mates.

As I didn't leave a number (unless they use 1471!) I doubt the inspector will call back, but I feel better for having expressed concern.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - NowWheels
There are often claims here that speed doesn't cause accidents etc, so I thought it might be useful to point Backroomers to a coherent summary of the research.

The Slower Speeds Intitiative's very informative website tells a very different story, at www.slower-speeds.surf3.net/ks_sec1.htm

Here's part of the intro:
"One of the most powerful research findings of recent years has been that an increase in average speed of 1mph results in an average 5% increase in the total number of crashes. Correspondingly, a 1mph reduction in average speed results in an average 5% reduction in crashes. This means that even marginal reductions in average speeds can result in major road safety gains."

This is backed up by several large-scale studies.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - patently
The following is pasted with due acknowledgement to the ABD. Original is at www.abd.org.uk/ - follow the "speed limits" link on the left, then "Does a 1mph reduction in speed really reduce accidents by 5%?" in the main body.

Note their main point, i.e. that going back to the source shows that the authors themselves apparently warned that their results had statistical shortcomings.

Does a 1mph reduction in speed
really reduce accidents by 5%?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

A key phrase in the anti speed campaigner's handbook that appears again and again is

?A 1mph change in average speed causes a 5% change in accidents?
It is quoted ad nauseam is most Government anti speed publications. Now to any reasonable human being who knows anything about driving, this statement is clearly absurd, yet it alone is used to justify many of the obstructive and oppressive measures being taken against safe drivers. An ABD examination of it's origins and a demolition of the arguments used to justify it is therefore long overdue.
It originates from a study published in 1994 by the Transport Research Laboratory called "Speed, Speed Limits and Accidents" (ref S211G/RB). This document contained no new research, but simply correlates the results of previous studies around the world, which were all involved with measuring the effect of a change in the posted speed limit.

Examples are quoted of accident reductions following the introduction of reduced speed limits going back to the 30mph built up limit introduced in the UK in 1935, and on the effect on average speeds of speed limit changes.

However, the only examples of changes in accidents and mean speeds being compared at the same time are:

Effects of temporary speed limits on Finnish motorways 1962-1976. All accidents.
Temporary decrease in Swedish Motorway and Dual carriageway limits, 1989. Injury accidents.
Danish built up area reduction in limit from 37mph to 31mph. All accidents.
Introduction of 19mph zones in Hamburg, 1985. Injury accidents
Swiss speed limit reductions on motorways and rural roads, 1985. All accidents.
Increase in accidents following increase in US limits from 55 to 65mph. Fatal accidents only.
A simple graph follows where the change in 'before and after' mean speeds in these six examples is plotted against the percentage change in accidents from one period to the next. A line is then drawn through the points which corresponds to a 5% change in accidents per mile an hour change in mean speeds. Thus the offending sentence is born.

ANALYSIS
This argument is so full of holes it is hard to know where to begin attacking it. To be fair to the authors of the report, they make many of these points themselves, but, inevitably, these are lost when the politicians are looking for a simplistic solution to a complex and poorly researched problem. They begin by making four fundamental statistical errors which any A-level student should be familiar with.

Is there a scientific causal link to back up the apparent statistical relationship?
It is incorrect to assume causality from a statistical relationship. To illustrate this, take the assertion that wearing a baseball cap backwards is linked to a 20 point reduction in the IQ score of the wearer. A plausible statistical link. It would be obviously ridiculous to suggest that educational standards could be increased at a stroke by banning baseball caps unless it could be proven that the cap was the cause of the low intelligence rather than simply a symptom. If the ban went ahead anyway, the real causes of low achievement in school would be ignored and some rather more intelligent people would get sunstroke due being forced to venture into the midday desert sun hatless. A ludicrous scenario? It is not far from what has been done to the motorist here!

Is the sample representative?
It has been assumed that because a graph neatly fits these six examples then the same must be true of all roads. To be valid, a survey must be chosen at random from a representative section of the population. The six studies are all related to speed limit changes which had been imposed for some purpose other than the research, and so most certainly do not come into this category.

Are the same things being measured?
Since three studies refer to total accidents, two to injury accidents only and one just to fatal accidents, how they can be justifiably plotted on the same graph is beyond comprehension. Also, they relate to different road types ? how can what happens in residential Hamburg in 1985 have anything to do with Finnish motorways in 1962? Add to this a myriad of different measurement techniques and other factors and you have an appalling mishmash which says nothing of value.

Is the result consistent with trends in the general population?
Any survey has to be questioned if it comes up with results that are inconsistent with trends observed in the whole population. These trends show a steady fall in accident rates and casualty rates throughout this century despite huge increases in free flowing traffic speeds. More specifically, injury accident rates fell by 30% in the UK during the 1980s whilst road speeds increased.

If the violation of general statistical rules such as these are not enough, some of the specific logical errors in this study damn it even more comprehensively.

The Irrelevance of using Average Speeds

Injury accidents only happen once for every 1.8 million kilometers driven in the UK. This makes them, at worst, a once in a lifetime experience even a high mileage motorist. An accident results from an exceptional combination of circumstances, and certain demographic groups, locations and conditions drastically effect accident rates. What relevance can average speed of the whole vehicle population have to such rare events?

They do not say how the average speed is measured. Almost certainly it will be done at certain specific points on the road by laying two temporary sensor tapes across the road. Since no road, even a motorway, has an identical spread of hazards along its entire length then a valid test of speed changes vs accidents can only be made within a very short distance of the test sensors themselves and not on the entire road. The number of accidents at these points will almost certainly be statistically insignificant. Moreover, the hazard distribution will vary along the road with traffic and weather changes, resisting any attempt to even this out. To illustrate this, take a country road made up of straights and bends which can only be taken at 40mph in the wet. Most accidents will happen on the bends at night in wet weather and speeds on the straights in good conditions will be irrelevant.

The Pitfalls of using Changes in Accidents

Quoting the percentage change in accidents makes no sense unless it is related to the absolute accident rate. Take the Spanish Motorway death rate of 61 perBnVkm against the Dutch 3.2 per BnVkm. These motorways all have the same 120kph limit! It is not hard to imagine similar measures resulting in a fall in deaths in Spain but a rise in Holland because of totally different accident causation mechanisms.

The locations for many of the tests could have been chosen because of either a statistical blip (admitted in the Swedish study) or a genuinely high accident rate on those particular roads. In the former case the accidents could have fallen anyway, in the latter a reduction in limits may well have been necessary for genuine safety limits. Generalised conclusions cannot be drawn without absolute statistics.

The Insanity of Combining the Two
If this 1mph 5% law was true, the average speed on the Spanish motorways would have to be 60mph faster than that in Holland, and the West Germans with would have had to be travelling slower on their largely unlimited Autobahns than the Americans were when their freeways were limited to 55mph. Hmmm!

CONCLUSION
All of this illustrates that macro statistical techniques have been inappropriately used on subject matter where it is impossible to isolate variables and where the incidents in question are both rare and subject to complex causal factors. The conclusion of the TRL report is therefore as statistically invalid as it is rationally absurd
And from Paul Smith at www.safespeed.org.uk:

www.safespeed.org.uk/trl421.html

As ever, he is less emotive than ABD and a little more analytical.
And from Paul Smith at www.safespeed.org.uk:
www.safespeed.org.uk/trl421.html
As ever, he is less emotive than ABD and a little
more analytical.

The safespeed critique descends rapidly into comedy: "It's well know that UK motorways are our safest roads. TRL511 immediately goes one stage further and the very first finding is that the frequency of accidents is lower on faster roads."

Of course it does -- the fastest roads are those such as A-roads and motorways designed for fast speeds. Motorways would be much safer than residential streets if both had the same speed limits, because the motorways have features like clear line of sight and grade-separated junctions which make them inherently safer. But that's a wholly separate question to the one addressed by the studies, which is what happens to the accident rate on any particular road when speeds are reduced.

The rest of both the ABD and the Safespeed ripostes are a bit silly.

The studies referred to are not exactly amateur observations: they are done by professional statisticians. The methodologies used are subject to pretty wide peer review, and if they were as flaky as suggested there would be an army of statisticians attacking the integrity of govt statistics. However, neither the ABD nor Safespeed can find any professional statisticians to mount such a critique.

Both ABD and Safespeed attack the studies because they fail to provide a conclusive proof of causality, which is not what the studies set out to achieve -- they were quantitative studies which examined a statistical correlation, not qualitiative studies. (It is notoriously dificult to conduct qualitative studies on a large scale, and the police reports cited are a pretty poor riposte -- to be meaningful, there would need to be some clear, consistent and verified methodology in assessing the causes)

Those studies used a fairly simple statistical technique: change one input variable (speed), and see what happens. The result across all these studies has been consistent: lower speeds means fewer accidents. The critics cannot cite a single study which demonstrates any other outcome -- all they do is to cry "unfair" at the overwhelming mass of evidence.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - frostbite
Some people would really only be happy at the return of the man with the red flag.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - tunacat
Unbiased and genuine question:

In Britain, over the last 25 years say, and normalised for per vehicle and per mile, and for all types of road,

has the average speed gone up, or down?

and has the 'number of accidents' (info from insurance claims, or police attendances?) gone up, or down ?

I don't have the figures - anybody know what they are?

Unbiased and genuine question:
In Britain, over the last 25 years say, and normalised for
per vehicle and per mile, and for all types of road,
has the average speed gone up, or down?
and has the 'number of accidents' (info from insurance claims,
or police attendances?) gone up, or down ?
I don't have the figures - anybody know what they are?

I dunno the figures, but I doubt they would tell you much, because so many other factors are involved, such as: congestion levels; effectiveness of cars braking and handling systems; changes in road design, construction and maintenance; differences in driver training.

All those factors have an effect on safety, and it wouldn't make sense to use data based on all those changes and draw conclusions about one factor in isolation. The usefulness of the studies on speed is that they do isolate just the one factor.
so many other factors are involved, such as: congestion
levels; effectiveness of cars braking and handling systems; changes in road
design, construction and maintenance; differences in driver training.
All those factors have an effect on safety,

A positive effect for all of them, I think, including congestion. Try having a fatal accident in a traffic jam (on second thoughts, don't, actually).

I recall that speeds generally have fallen, but I can't cite evidence for that and don't offer it as gospel.

Why, then, have the fatality rates not dropped? Perhaps we are getting something wrong?
Slower Speeds Intitiative - teabelly
Recent government statitistics have shown that excess speed is a primary causal factor for around 5% of accidents. I also noticed on another study from a university that 5% of drivers were causing 45% of accidents and they reckoned that 17% of them were causing *all* accidents within their study group. The other 83% weren't at fault. As speed related accidents aren't responsible for 95% of crashes then if we lower average speed by 1mph will that not wipe them all out? It should if the theory is correct. Or I've got the wrong end of the piano?!

But as the vast majority of accidents are caused by a minority of drivers wouldn't we have more success going for those near 100% causes of accidents rather than the 5% cause? Bet your life those 17% are mostly made up of the untaxed, uninsured and maureen driving school types!
teabelly
Slower Speeds Intitiative - Welliesorter
"It's well know that UK motorways are our safest roads...

Isn't this arrived at from the ratio of accidents to miles covered? This would make motorways appear safer simply because people use them for longer journeys. It's not just that other types of road have more hazards. This would be the method that makes air travel seem to be the safest form of transport (I'm not denying that it is).

Come come No Wheels.

We start with:

"There are often claims here that speed doesn't cause accidents etc, so I thought it might be useful to point Backroomers to a coherent summary of the research."

On being alerted to the lack of any proof of causality in that evidence, we have:

"Both ABD and Safespeed attack the studies because they fail to provide a conclusive proof of causality, which is not what the studies set out to achieve -- they were quantitative studies which examined a statistical correlation, not qualitiative studies."

But you cited the studies to disprove a lack of causality. Moving goalposts?

You cite the lack of counter-evidence from professional statisticians. But they will not object to the papers, because the authors acknowledge the difficulty of reaching a conclusion based on their research. However, that bit doesn't get reported - only the simplistic headline.

I agree entirely that an otherwise identical accident will be worse if the speeds involved are higher. I also agree that a higher speed can make an accident more likely, and that a lower speed can make an accident less likely. However, I don't agree that a higher speed will make an accident more likely, nor do I agree that a lower speed will make an accident less likely.

I just think it's a little more complex, and am disappointed when it's presented as simple. It leads to the wrong driving mentality - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?m=223699...e
We start with:
"There are often claims here that speed doesn't cause accidents etc,
so I thought it might be useful to point Backroomers to
a coherent summary of the research."
On being alerted to the lack of any proof of causality
in that evidence, we have:
"Both ABD and Safespeed attack the studies because they fail to
provide a conclusive proof of causality, which is not what the
studies set out to achieve -- they were quantitative studies which
examined a statistical correlation, not qualitiative studies."
But you cited the studies to disprove a lack of causality.
Moving goalposts?

Not moving them at all: you miss the word "conclusive".

Statistical studies cannot (by their vey nature) demonstrate exactly how it is that lowered speeds leads to reduced accident levels, which is the ABD and Safespeed's complaint.

By isolating speed as a factor, the statistics demonstrate very clearly that lower speeds leads to fewer accidents. Despite this overwhelming evidence, the speeding lobby continues to argue that we should avoid taking any steps to reduce speeds (and therefore accidents) until we can show exactly how it works.

So ... we know from countless studies all around the world that a simple measure will save lives, but the ABD and the rest of the speed merchants don't want us to use it because there isn't yet conclusive data on exactly how it saves lives? (There's plenty of evidence about the linkage, but the complaint is that it isn't conclusive).

Thank goodness the politicians are unimpressed by that sort of logic. A good summary of a cross-party assesment of the arguments can be found in the 2002 report of the House of Commons Select Committee on Transport, Local Government and the Regions on Road Traffic Speed -- see the section on "The consequences of speed" at www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselec...m

It's also worth reading the testimony of two senior transport academics, at www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselec...m
NoWheels,

Please don't class me as a "speed merchant". I suspect that the ABD would also object, and Paul Smith makes the point as well. I may drive a BMW and a Porsche (not at the same time..) but I have two small children and object strongly to unsafe driving. I fail however to automatically equate "fast" with "unsafe" in all circumstances.

In fact, about 40-50% of the time I find myself going distinctly slower that those around me would evidently wish to travel. I do not hold myself up as a shining example (for very good and painful reasons) but I see in many other drivers an inability to match speed to conditions, in both senses.

Again, all we see is the citation of "speed=accident" to justify lower speeds per se. The research may be careful and well presented but its use by politicians and civil servants is not so careful. The undoubted fact that innapropriate speed is dangerous is used to justify lower speeds and to punish speeding, but these three concepts are only loosely related and are not synonyms.

I did acknowledge the extent to which I see a link between speed and safety; the evidence cited does not take us beyond that point, IMHO. And 1mph=5% is frankly so simplistic as to be insulting.
Please don't class me as a "speed merchant". I suspect
that the ABD would also object, and Paul Smith makes the
point as well.

Patently, I know that PS and the ABD object, but you only have to burrow a bit to see why the objections should be taken with a pinch of salt. PS's website makes his real position clear: he is against speed limit enforcement, despite his claims on the front page.

Try this claim, amongst others: "Responsibility for safe speed setting is being removed from drivers. Instead they must drive to standard speeds posted by local authorities and others" (see www.safespeed.org.uk/effects.html )

That's why I mean by speed merchant: the drivers who refuse to accept the right of the law to impose (and enforce) a maximum speed, as well as those who drive too fast for the cicumstances. Speed limits are nothing new: his claim about responsibility "being removed" can only be a reference to the increasing effectiveness of enforcement.

Plus, of course, his bizarre idea that drivers are being asked to follow "standard speeds". He doesn't seem to grasp the simply point that a speed limit is a maximum, not a standard.

I think we agree that it's often appropriate to drive well below the limit, but the law doesn't prevent that -- on the contarry, it encourages it.
I fail however to automatically
equate "fast" with "unsafe" in all circumstances.

I don't see anyone arguing that fast is unsafe in all circumstances, and it's a bit naughty to suggest that. The point which I and others make is that in any given set of conditions, faster is less safe.

That's why speed limits are set, and why there are different limits on different roads. The evidence is very clear that, for example, a high speed is much safer on a motorway than a lower speed on an urban road.

That may be an argument for building more motorways; it's not an argument for saying that any given speed limit shpuld be increased.
In fact, about 40-50% of the time I find myself going
distinctly slower that those around me would evidently wish to travel.
I do not hold myself up as a shining example
(for very good and painful reasons) but I see in many
other drivers an inability to match speed to conditions, in both
senses.

That sounds like very responsible driving.
Again, all we see is the citation of "speed=accident" to justify
lower speeds per se. The research may be careful and
well presented but its use by politicians and civil servants is
not so careful.

Before accusing the politicins of carelessness on this one, look evidence from the transport academics presented to the commons select committee. They are clearly urging efforts to reduce speeds, which is what the politicians are doing.
The undoubted fact that innapropriate speed is
dangerous is used to justify lower speeds and to punish speeding,
but these three concepts are only loosely related and are not
synonyms.

Yes, the enforcement techniques we have so far are a bit crude. But there given the clear evidence about the effects of speed, restraining speed is one very useful tool in a package of road safety measures. (Restraining speed has many other social benefits as well, but that's a separate point)

Current technologies (particularly cameras) make it remarkably cheap to enforce speed limits, with very clear benefits to the accident rates. Those cameras save lives wherever they are installed.

Sure, there are plenty of other important matters of road safety which ought be enforced too. But wanting better policing of other road safety issues is no reason to object to the use of one method which works very well.
I did acknowledge the extent to which I see a link
between speed and safety; the evidence cited does not take us
beyond that point, IMHO. And 1mph=5% is frankly so simplistic
as to be insulting.

Of course it's simplistic: it's a headline summary, desighned to encourage people to look behind it. The figures vary in different situations, as you can see from the breakdown which the SSI itself presents. The are further speed-related factors, such as speeed differentials, but they all point to stricter enforcement of limits.
NoWheels,

Apologies for missing your reply. I think I lost it in the SSI stuff.

Thank you for your compliment, btw.

I can't speak for Smith or the ABD, of course, but I think Smith's position is a little more complex than you point out. His argument seems to be more along the lines that limits should be correctly set - he cites the 85th percentile research, which apparently shows that the safest speed at which to travel is the speed at which, in the absence of any limits, 85% of drivers would be slower and 15% faster.

He then points to the DoT requirements for cameras and shows that, in effect, they place cameras where the limit is well below the 85th &ile level. Thus they will catch drivers who are driving at the safest speeds.

So he is not against speed limits as such, merely against the vigorous enforcement of the wrongly set limits. His problem is that it can't be summarised in a soundbite so requires the listener to be attentive, have a reasonable grasp of statistics, and be willing to wade through the interminable and rambling line of argument that is his "house style".

My profile mentions that I am concerned that easy to enforce laws like speed limits are being enforced, instead of other laws that are more subjective but have a greater correlation to safety. I can well see why; you are either above 30mph or below, so a prosecution is usually straightforward. Nevertheless, the aim of road traffic law is to achieve safety not a specific speed (as such). My worry is that we are moving towards a focus on easy enforcement in the name of "efficiency" but are moving away from the prevention of unsafe driving per se.

My accident record is not perfect; sometimes my fault, sometimes not. None of my accidents took place above the speed limit. None of them caused injury (thank heavens) but several could have - one involving an unsafe load came within 18 inches of orphaning my 2 week old daughter. That kind of thing affects your attitude. I tried all the relevant authorities but none were interested in my report of the local skip operator, who was routinely failing to cover loads as is (I understand) legally required.

Meanwhile, I did not feel at all endangered by the police vehicle travelling at 90mph on the M40 twice last week (see previous posts). I did feel endangered when he tried to pull out right in front of me. Only one of those offences is usually enforced, and it isn't the dangerous one.

As I said to SR in similar circumstances, I think we agree on a lot more than might appear to be the case. But I hope this clarifies where I'm coming from and where I think the UK is going.

I'm going to end by disagreeing with two things you've said, though;
Current technologies (particularly cameras) make it
remarkably cheap to enforce speed limits, with very clear
benefits to the accident rates. Those cameras save lives
wherever they are installed.

As I understand, our fatality rate is now static after decades of decline. So I don't see any clear benefit. Nor do I see how the lives saved can be attributed to the cameras when other major changes are usually made at the same time.
Of course it's simplistic: it's a headline summary, desighned
to encourage people to look behind it.

Except that they don't, in my experience.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - Flat in Fifth
"The studies referred to are not exactly amateur observations: they are done by professional statisticians. The methodologies used are subject to pretty wide peer review, and if they were as flaky as suggested there would be an army of statisticians attacking the integrity of govt statistics. However, neither the ABD nor Safespeed can find any professional statisticians to mount such a critique."

Whilst I tend to believe that TRL's output is as objective as it gets, the problem is how that output is used and interpreted.

On the other hand re the last sentence quoted, for as long as I can remember Paul Smith has had the challenge posted on his website for anyone to come along and prove his assertions are wrong. Afaik no-one has.

My problem is being able to see both sides of the argument.

Slower Speeds Intitiative - expat
What is really needed is large scale before and after figures for incidences of traffic accidents when the speed limit is altered. Western Australia changed its speed limits for the majority of residential urban streets from 60kmh to 50kmh on 1st December 2001. At the time they claimed that:
" It is anticipated that a default speed limit of 50km/h in built-up areas will result in a 33% reduction of speed-related crashes resulting in injury.
McLean, J., Kloeden, C., Anderson,. R. (1999) Speed and the Risk of Crash Involvement. University of Adelaide, South Australia." Quoted from Office of Road Safety website.

They are intending to do a statistical analysis of the results but that has not been released yet. When it does come out it will be very interesting to see what the result has been.

Maybe some one has some figures from the US on what happened there when they lowered the speed limits about 1990 or so.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - davemar
The age old quote by the Slower Speeds Intitiative (hmmm, would you think they might be biased with a name like that?) given by NoWheels about the 1mph drop in speed gives 5% reduction in accidents is the most unscientific conclusion imaginable. If I did a survey and came up with that conclusion where I work, I'd be laughed at very hard.

I am still staggered that the whole concept of causation is totally ignored to twist gathered figures and measurements. This is very basic fundamental maths and statisics that any schoolboy should know, let alone someone producing statistics for public consumption.

Not only does the statement overlook the basics of causation, it makes a glaringly simplified assumption that if something increases it must give the same opposite reaction when it decreases. It is a total joke.

I have yet to see a genuinely impartial and correctly scientific survey done on the relationship between speed and accidents.

I am still staggered that the whole concept of causation is
totally ignored to twist gathered figures and measurements. This is very
basic fundamental maths and statisics that any schoolboy should know, let
alone someone producing statistics for public consumption.

And the expectation that we will all swallow it whole is, IMHO, an insult to our intelligence.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - davemar
Replying to tunacats question about average speeds in this country over the last 25 years. I haven't got any figures, but from my own personal experience, my average speeds have plummetted over the last decade. Not due to me choosing the drive more slowly, but the increase in congestion, traffic lights (forcing me to stop far more often), over-complex junctions, closed-off roads (increase journey lengths along busier roads), 'traffic calming' measures and speed cameras have all done this.

It'll be a massive task to obtain all the figures on this to get any decent results though!
The age old quote by the Slower Speeds Intitiative (hmmm, would
you think they might be biased with a name like that?)
given by NoWheels about the 1mph drop in speed gives 5%
reduction in accidents is the most unscientific conclusion imaginable. If I
did a survey and came up with that conclusion where I
work, I'd be laughed at very hard.

This is not research done by the Slower Speeds Intitiative, nor is it commissioned by them. It's government research, which the SSI is quoting.

Their assessment of the evidence is very similar to the assessment of the House of Commons select committes report to which I posted a link. If you don't want to believe the Slower Speeds Initiative, ignore them and see what a cross-party group of MPs concluded after hearing evidence from all sides: www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselec...m

Note that none of committe members voted against the commitee's conclusions on speed. The Committee unanimously agreed that slower speeds are safer.
The Committee unanimously agreed that slower speeds are safer.

Of course they did. No doubt they noticed that the sky is blue, too.

Lower speeds are always safer. The safest car to be in, right now, is mine because it is stationary in the office car park!

Concluding that lower speeds are safer only helps guide policy to a man with a red flag.
?All those factors have an effect on safety, and it wouldn't make sense to use data based on all those changes and draw conclusions about one factor in isolation. The usefulness of the studies on speed is that they do isolate just the one factor.?

But isn?t that then, at best, *all* this report is saying?
If we all do zero mph, there would be zero accidents. It?s natural sense then to expect that at lower speeds (drivers in a trace not withstanding) there will be fewer accidents.
But that isn?t of great use in the real world ? where would you draw the line on reducing the speed limits further and further?
Surely you DO have to take into account the greater numbers of vehicles on the road, greater typical journey distances, greater speeds on open roads, greater congestion in urban areas, etc, that have happened in the last 25 years.
If the ?number of accidents? hasn?t commensurately ?got worse?, then surely we?re actually doing quite well?

If that was, or is, the case, why not balance our castigation with the slogan ?Going slower does mean fewer accidents, but we?re doing alright ? keep up the good work.? ?

For "trace" read "trance". Must have been in one.
If we all do zero mph, there would be zero accidents.
It?s natural sense then to expect that at lower speeds
(drivers in a trace not withstanding) there will be fewer accidents.
But that isn?t of great use in the real world ?
where would you draw the line on reducing the speed limits
further and further?

For myself, I'd be happy enough to leave most speed limits as they are for the moment (except for more 10mph and 20mph zones in residential streets and maybe an increased motorway limit) if we had much stricter enforcement.

Reducing actual trafic speeds to the current legal limits would have a huge benefit, particularly in built-up areas.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - Malcolm_L
TRL conclusion clearly illustrates the danger of misusing statistics:

Slower speeds are always safer - Motorways are our safest roads.

Quite clearly these two statements are mutually incompatible,
80mph on motorways is deemed to be safe in France and in Germany there are completely unrestricted motorways, extrapolate the 1mph slower causes 5% less accidents argument and it's a wonder there are any German drivers left!

IMHO inappropriate speed is a causal factor in a large number of accidents, we only way to approach this problem is to be pro-active about and enhance driver training.

Slower Speeds Intitiative - BrianW
With the benefit of 40 years behind the wheel, my impression is that maximum speeds have increased but fatal accidents have come down.
But the steady reduction evident until 8 or 10 years ago has come to a halt.
When I was first on the road, 60mph was fast. Only sports cars would exceed 80mph.
Today every man and his dog does 70mph plus when traffic conditions allow.
What has changed is that driving standards have fallen. Racing off from traffic lights, tailgating, undertaking (often caused by middle lane hogging), lane switching, turning without indicating, observation, amber gambling, jumping red lights (even by buses, would you believe), etc., etc. have all got FAR worse.
IMHO reductions in speed limits have had a counter-productive effect by removing the perceived responsibility from the driver who then drives to the limit, or a couple of mph over, without considering whether that speed is APPROPRIATE. Thus you get 30mph past schools, 70mph in poor visibility or on wet roads or 60mph round bends on country roads. Result: CRUNCH and "But I wasn't exceeding the speed limit, Officer".
If the normal result of an accident was that someone was charged with careless driving, dangerous driving or manslaughter, rather than prosecuting millions of motorists for exceeding an arbitary and often inappropriate (in both directions) limit, then that link of personal responsibility for one's conduct would be restored.
Absolutely.

And on that basis, I would have been prosecuted for due care & attention in 2001 when I fell asleep & woke up to see a queue of traffic a bit close in front (For those who've forgotten, my daughter was a few weeks old). As I d**m well should have been.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - Nortones2
Thanks for the reference NoWheels. As I sit I can hear traffic on the nearby 30 mph (nominal) road at the approach to the village: the law observing are barely audible. The law disregarding are clearly audible, from tyre noise mostly. Local drivers know the police do not bother, so in effect its the drivers decision as to the choice of speed. Many travel at speeds of 50 to 60 mph. Neighbour reckons, from recent walk, up to 70 or 80 on a straight 30 mph road on the other side of the estate, bordered by houses most of the way . That there aren't many fatal accidents is because some drivers, commuters mostly, have intimidated pedestrians off the road. It does have footpaths all the way, but it can be extremely unpleasant. Lack of thought for others is the problem.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - Myles
That there aren't many fatal accidents is because some drivers, commuters mostly,
have intimidated pedestrians off the road. It does have footpaths all
the way, but it can be extremely unpleasant. Lack of
thought for others is the problem.

This is a point I raised a while back and got absolutely no response - bit close to home for some?! The use of injury and accident statistics as the only measure of the impact of speeding misses out an awful lot of the other anti-social effects of speeding and it is becoming increasingly common for pedestrians AND drivers to modify their routes to avoid "trouble-spots" caused by speeding motorists.

To pick up the earlier comment from Paul Smith (?) that he doesn't like the way that rsponsibility for speed control has been removed from the driver and handed to the government - when there are a significant number of drivers who fail to regulate their speed sensibly and safely, then the government is bound to take action.
Lack of thought for others is the problem.

Agreed, no-one thinks about anyone else any more, and this applies to more than just driving.

[Help! - I sound old again! I'm not really!]

Re Myles' comments, many road safety messages are distilled down to a simplistic "slow down"*. Speed cameras are seen as a revenue-raiser by so many that it is endemic. Police drivers go at 90 on the M40 (see my post above). Generally, anything published by HMG is now seen as probably untrue/spun beyond recognition. The overall effect is that people don't listen, ignore the lot, and suit themselves.

So, by trying so hard to reduce speeds, we fail.

*[THINK! could have been a welcome change but managed to find a reason to slow down in every possible circumstance. Yes, I know you can, but it diluted the message]

There was an advert a while back that showed a car in a high street at 40 suddenly applying emergency braking. The voiceover said that if they'd been at 30 they would have stopped, ...., now. A few seconds later a child is catapulted into the air. That was excellent - it was in context (i.e. a place where high speed is innapropriate but often seen) and educated people as to the difference rather than just scolding them. Sadly, it seemed to have a short run and I haven't seen much of since.

This country's road safety "debate" depresses and frightens me. This site is one of the few places that it is intelligently argued.
The depressing thing is that it plays on emotion by taking what is a pretty rare event (kids being knocked down on crossings)and making it seem that is the main danger to watch out for and you can relax if a pedestrian crossing isn't in sight.
The depressing thing is that it plays on emotion by taking
what is a pretty rare event (kids being knocked down on
crossings)and making it seem that is the main danger to watch
out for and you can relax if a pedestrian crossing isn't
in sight.

sadly, very true :(

As Nortones pointed out, those drivers who use excessive speed in built up areas "have intimidated pedestrians off the road". That's particularly true of children -- the reason that the UK has such low rates of accidents involving children is that British kids have been kept away from the roads.

That's why talk of reducing speeds at pedestrian crossings, near schools etc, is missing the point. Unless speeds are greatly lowered in all built-up areas, children will continue to be kept indoors for safety reasons.
Agreed. We live on a VERY residential road. Cars parked, no straight sections, many driveways, 30 limit, should be 20. Top speed observed was 48mph. No, I'm not kidding.

Very few kids to be seen - ours stay in the back garden unless accompanied.

Sadly, the only youngsters we see are teenage ones behind the wheel, usually somewhere between 30 and 48.
I live in a close 10 houses long (about 100 yards).
No need to go above about 20/25mph, but have seen 40mph or so.
Slower Speeds Intitiative - Adam {P}
I'm not going to get involved in the argument....sod it - I am. I completely agree with lowering speed limits near schools but NoWheels comment about leaving most of them "as they are" I'm sorry, but I must completey disagree although I am unable to back that up with any impressive sounding evidence at all.

I must however leave you with this,

near my house, there is a primary school but on a very residential road. That is to say, it isn't a main road, just a housing estate with a school on. The council, in their wisdom have put the "traffic calming" speed bumps that buses can straddle and presumable ambulances. However, what is slightly odd is that they have done this on only one side of the road at one end and the other side at the other end. The result of course is car drivers who value their suspension veering over to the wrong side of the road to miss them out completely. This can be rather scary when you're on the right had side of the road (right as in correct) and the other person....isn't. I don't advocate speed bumps but I'd rather have them on both sides where in this case, it has to be safer.

*Rant over*

thanks

Adam
--
Slower Speeds Intitiative - hxj

Where people go worng in any argument about speed is when they start to compare their skills and abilities with those of anyone else.

Sadly there are too many nonsense speakers on both sides.

Firstly there are some irrefutable facts:

1. A car travelling at a higher speed causes more damage to what it hits than the same car travelling at a lower speed.

2. The braking distances of a car are roughly as follows:

50 mph x yards
70 mph 2x yards
100 mph 4x yards

In other words all other things being equal a car travelling at 100 mph on a mototway takes as long to slow form 100 to 70 as it does from 70 to 0.

3. For any driver, no matter how good their anticipation and reaction time is they will, have travelled further before they can possibly take any action the faster they are traveling.

The overall effect of all this is that when the unexpected happens you need more distance to react, or take evasive action, the faster that you choose to travel.

When you do react by slamming on the brakes you will take longer to stop the faster that you are travelling and if you do not manage to stop completely the speed at which you impact will be higher causing more damage.

If an incident happens when you are travelling at a higher speed it is harder to avoid amd more damage is caused if you do have an impact.

Overall therefore every individual is safer travelling at a lower speed rather than a higher one.

Whether any one individual travelling at 90 is safer or more dangerous than another driver travelling at 70 is a different question, impossible to answer, and irrelevant.

Anyone else get caught on the A1 today? It took me 2 hours to travel 5 miles around Peterborough!
Best we all get a red flag, then.
Felexible penalties for speeding? - NowWheels
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3718957.stm

Department of Transport to begin consultation after the June elections
Felexible penalties for speeding? - Altea Ego
Excelent idea, the penalties and range need carefull thought tho. 1 point for every 5mph over as a starter?
Felexible penalties for speeding? - Chicken Madras
These measures are still not a substitute for getting patrol cars back on the roads. A Gatso can't capture an uninsured driver in a stolen car high on drugs etc. can it?

Call me cynical, but could the timing of this story have anything to do with the forthcoming local/European elections and the rumoured fuel tax protests?

Felexible penalties for speeding? - Altea Ego
You are cynical, it has absolutley nothing to do with european elections, or the local council elections.

Its all about the General election.
Felexible penalties for speeding? - Chicken Madras
Guilty as charged!
Felexible penalties for speeding? - NowWheels
also in the Sunday Times
www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2761-1111975,00...l
Felexible penalties for speeding? - patently
As ever, this is a good idea in principle but the devil lies in the detail. And TG's report yesterday made me realise where the devil may be hidden.

Now, this change is presented as (i) a move towards fairness in sentencing and (ii) to make the system less harsh on drivers for political ends. I shall make no comments as to the past correlation between presentation and reality exhibited by this government, of course.

TG and the Times both report that 35 in a 30 would attract 2 points whereas higher speeds would attract 4 or more points. Let's compare that to now, where a threshold of 10% plus 2 applies, i.e. 35. So, today, travelling at 35 or below attracts no penalty. Under the proposed system, 30-35 gets you 2 points.

Likewise, over 35 today will get you 3 points. In the future, it will get you 4 or more.

Thus, whilst I agree with the principle, I can't see how this is a move to "reduce penalties for minor speeding offences" as advertised. Whatever speed you are doing over the limit, the penalty is getting worse.

Interestingly, SR challenged me some time ago to point to evidence that going only a few mph over the limit attracted a penalty .... if you're reading this, then here you are.
Felexible penalties for speeding? - SR
"Interestingly, SR challenged me some time ago to point to evidence that going only a few mph over the limit attracted a penalty .... if you're reading this, then here you are."

Not so, patently - I was looking for evidence that people are generally penalised for going a couple of mph over NOW, not at some time in the future according to "proposals" that may or may not happen.

The fact is that the "official" penalty at the moment, whether enforced or not in practice, does not vary between 1 mph over and 5 mph over. The threshold of 10% plus 2 is not law - it's an unofficial allowance that has been taken by some to be a definite entitlement. Also, anyone doing 35 is likely to be seeing up to 38 on their speedometer, so there's no doubt they're breaking the limit and are aware of it.

I don't see what's wrong with these proposals - you always have the option of staying a couple of mph BELOW the limit, and not getting any points at all!!
Felexible penalties for speeding? - patently
I don't see what's wrong with these proposals - you always
have the option of staying a couple of mph BELOW the
limit, and not getting any points at all!!

Which is in fact what I try to do.

But holding a precise speed is impossible, and proposals have been published that would penalise 31mph. Therefore I for one now feel the need to fear drifting from 29 to 31. It is reasonable to expect that others will also. Therefore I and others will be distracted. Therefore the move to automated "safety" enforcement is not ipso facto a good thing.

In a 30 zone, I would prefer to have my complete attention outside the car, so that I can quickly see the moments when I need to slow to 15mph.

Not all speedos over-read, btw.

Felexible penalties for speeding? - SR
Holding an approximate speed isn't so difficult if the car is under proper control - if someone is so scared of drifting from 29 to 31 (even though there's no evidence to suggest that 31 would be generally enforced anyway) would it really be such a trial for them to try 28 instead of 29.....? What difference is that going to make to an overall journey time? It's a limit after all, not a target.

It is illegal for speedos to under-read, so most over-read to compensate, sometimes by up to 10%. Very few are completely accurate.
Safe Speed - Mad Maxy
Some interesting and thought-provoking stuff...

www.safespeed.org.uk/smeed.html
Safe Speed - GrumpyOldGit
...and they are exactly right. The only thing that will seriously improve road safety is increasing 'average driver quality'. We just need a government with the courage to bring it about.
Safe Speed - Singer-G
While I generally agree with the message on this site some of their use of graphs and statistics needs to be read very carefully.

Take, for example www.safespeed.org.uk/stats/index.html the graph entitled "3.3 UK fatals per billion vehicle km - annual change". Their caption reads "The red line shows that the rate of change of UK fatal accidents is rising."

This does not mean that the number of deaths is rising, just that it is not falling as quickly as it once was. the RATE OF CHANGE is rising. The vertical axis on the graph measures percentage rate of change, not actual numbers of deaths.
Safe Speed - Mapmaker
We need to do more than improve 'average' driver quality.

If the best 10% of drivers improve their driving by 10%, the average driver quality will go up. This will not help road safety much if at all.

We need to improve the driver quality of the bottom quartile (or decile) of drivers.

Yours pedantically
Safe Speed - patently
Yes, the statistics need careful interpretation. But, to be fair, his title did make this clear. The page seems to be a genuine effort to extract meaning from an overwhelming mass of data.

Mapmaker - absolutely right.
Interesting statistics - teabelly
I had a look at a table from the dft: tinyurl.com/2xxgh

which shows fatalities and injuries on various types of road with various speed limits. What struck me was that there seemed to be a) loads more deaths in 30mph areas compared to 40 mph areas and b) loads more deaths in 60mph zones than either 50 or 70 limits. Now, would this mean that the accident rate would drop if 30 mph were raised to 40 and 60 limits were dropped to 50 or raised to 70 (the latter for excellent a roads perhaps and the former for anything else)?

I'm obviously abusing the stats as it is likely to be a function of vehicle miles rather than the previaling speed limit. It would be interesting to read the deaths per vehicle million km as a comparison on all types of road though.
teabelly