Morpheous Geodesy - Stuart
I have just bought one of these devices. Basically its a GPS position locator with a database of fixed speed cameras loaded in to it. I have to say it is fantastic! I have had detectors before but they are no damned good as they give way too many false alarms. OK I can not detect mobile speed traps but for everything else I'm covered. Buy one now!
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - honest john
And legal. And virtually impossible in law to make illegal.

HJ
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - andy bairsto
Do not the local radio stations give out the position of mobile cameras on air,they do in Germany.
I have a Garmin street pilot with all the German fixed cameras loaded in from the police webb site.But you never know if they have built a new one unless you update daily.or the one they forgot to list.And because your unit has no differential built in or differential antenna on bad day it could be 150mts out.
The differential is the variable difference the us military build in to the system so you can never be 100% corrrect.Differential beacons are provided on the coast and by land radio beacons and sometimes radio programs ie long wave 1500m .To receive these you need the differential equipment(fitted in my car for my telecomms survey work)
Re: Differential GPS - Stuart B
andy bairsto wrote:
>
> And because your unit has no
> differential built in or differential antenna on bad day it
> could be 150mts out.
>
> The differential is the variable difference the us military
> build in to the system so you can never be 100%
> corrrect.Differential beacons are provided on the coast and
> by land radio beacons and sometimes radio programs ie long
> wave 1500m .To receive these you need the differential
> equipment(fitted in my car for my telecomms survey work)

Think you are being a bit pedantic here Andy.

True that without differential GPS you are subject to the inbuilt errors, but the Morpheus starts giving a warning at a mile from the location and the number of lights increase the closer you get.

If you are a speeder, which I'm not BTW, its a bit daft to speed right up to the location point and brake at last second? Surely its a warning that maybe in the next few minutes a fraction and only a fraction more of your attention needs to be placed on speed control re the posted limit just in case.

At this point we would previously have been harangued by Bogush about watching your speedo and effect on safety.
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Stuart B
Plus if you are the first one to spot a new site, and download it to Geodesy's website you get a £50 reward. Luvverly jubberly.
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Alwyn
Have you also heard of Trafcam? They do a GPS system based on a Palm PDA linked to a GPS unit. If you own a Palm then all you need is a GPS unit and a cable or two.

It can also tell you what speed you are travelling at and a display on the Palm will let you select a speed of travel. If you exceed it, the Palm shouts at you.

Handy reminder of a limit when it is easy to forget what the limit is.

30mph? 40mph? Clever?

Info at www.trafcam.com/

Cheers
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Stuart
Er... didn't understand most of that and not sure if I like the idea of cabling anything. The Geodesy plugs in and works and only has one button to push. Suits me down to the ground.
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Rebecca
Sounds like a disease...
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Colin M
The guys over on the Audi Sport forum have negotiated a group buy for the Geodesy and have the price down to £300 odd.

www.audi-sport.net is the place to look.

Colin
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - The Growler
HOw do you update the database? Surely it would be stale pretty quickly?
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - andy bairsto
Why do you not buy a GPS hand held or a street pilot you then can have a navigation system maps garages a built in altimeter, trip mileage and you can down load all your camaras as way points and have a audible or visual alarm.
Over 300ukp for this other gadget is dayllight robbery.Go to www.garmin.com or the gpsshop.com and look at some proper gear.
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Dwight Van-Driver
What's the betting Stu gets caught speeding in the next 90 days folks????
Re: Morpheous Geodesy - Colin M
Andy

I have a handheld GPS (it works great with Autoroute on the laptop) but loading all those waypoints and keeping them up to date is a pain, and you cannot easily set an alarm around every camera waypoint yourself, the Geodesy does this automatically via it's own modem. Users send updated positions by pressing a button when you go past an unidentified camera, they verify it and send the first "caller" £50.

The guts might only be a £100 GPS, but the integration and database recency is what you are paying for.

Colin (no I don't own one!)