Driving in Bristol - teabelly
Anyone used the A4 Portway park and ride at Shirehampton in North West Bristol? I'm heading for Broadmead/Lower Castle Street area so I am hoping it is not too far from the bus route. There are better bus routes with the other park and rides but they're all situated in awkward places as this one is just off the M5 so I am hoping it won't be much bother to get to!

I have never driven in Bristol before so is there anything I need to know as you Southerners have your different ways? :-)
teabelly
Driving in Bristol - John R @ Work {P}
Teabelly,
The last time I drove through Bristol (about 5 years ago) I got well and truly lost as nearly all the direction signs and road numbers etc. are painted on the road, not on sign posts. So if there is any traffic in front of you, you can't see them... Lots of lanes for left & right turns only etc. also with the markings on the road.

Plan your trip, make sure you know which direction you need to be going in and take care (should that be Take Valium?).

John R
Driving in Bristol - Jaytee
Unless you really have to, don't take your car into central Bristol at all!!. The P&R will drop you very close to Broadmead at its terminus. Not only congestion but finding somewhere to park is a nightmare. Believe me, - it's really bad news in Bristol I Know, I've been a bus driver there.

Jaytee
Driving in Bristol - keo-the-dog
Anyone used the A4 Portway park and ride at Shirehampton in
North West Bristol? I'm heading for Broadmead/Lower Castle Street area so
I am hoping it is not too far from the bus
route. There are better bus routes with the other park and
rides but they're all situated in awkward places as this one
is just off the M5 so I am hoping it won't
be much bother to get to!
I have never driven in Bristol before so is there anything
I need to know as you Southerners have your different ways?
:-)
teabelly

>
> avoid it or be carefull at roundabouts bristolians dont know how to use them, honestly i live in bristol mini roundabouts are the worst and we got plenty of them we also got some multiple mini-roundabouts they are real fun .
Driving in Bristol - teabelly
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I am packing an extra pair of eyes and some valium :-)

I've got the print out of the route which is a start. I may attach a 'Danger - Tourist' flag to the aerial in the hope that people give me extra room for the inevitable 'oh no I wanted that road' last minute manouevre that I have seen executed by lost people many a time....

There are a few multiple mini roundabouts around here. The worst is in somewhere called Smallthorne. It was always been a magnet for accidents and turning the impossibly complex junction into a network of mini roundabouts hasn't helped one bit!

teabelly