punto brake discs - mick c
I have a punto mk11 it's 2 years old this month and has done 33,000 miles. I have just had my 3rd set of pads fitted (which were very worn - but I managed to catch them before scoring the discs). I had to have the discs changed however because they were below spec. thickness (min. 10.2mm, these were measuring out at 10.17mm with verniers). I admit that I drive the car quite hard and accept that pads & front tyres have to be changed regulary. However I was surprised at the discs. Would you expect the life of the discs to equal that of two sets of pads, or does this sound a bit much? There are drums on the back if this makes a difference.

Opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Mick
punto brake discs - Dynamic Dave
Sounds familiar.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=19...5

Yeah, thanks Dave, we're both talking about Punto brakes, but my query was about the discs. My pads our wearing out as I would expect. It's just that the place that did the brake job said that on smaller cars in general life expectancy of discs roughly equaled that of two sets of pads. My question is: Is this a reasonable comment, or misinformation?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Mick
punto brake discs - Andrew-T
I think the reason is that since the banning of asbestos, pads are made of harder materials. Less wear on pads = more on disks, for an equal amount of braking.
punto brake discs - Dynamic Dave
on smaller cars in general life expectancy of discs roughly >> equaled that of two sets of pads.
My question is: Is this a reasonable comment, or misinformation?

Sounds about right. My previous Cavalier was very heavy on pads/dics. 3rd change of pads and I had to change the discs, which by then were well below the wear spec. Reasons being due to Andrew-T's comments about pads now being non asbestos.
Thanks Andy + Dynamic D. I remember now the brake place (kwik fit) said that about the pads being harder, thus increasing wear on the discs. I'm reassured everythin OK now. Thanks for your help.

Mick C