Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - pullgees
When driving on the straight a loud low pitch whining sound occures but not immediately. The sound is temporarily remedied by pulling up and turning the steering wheel on full lock. After doing that the sound dissappears for a while. It only does it on a straight journey never around town. The noise also goes if I take it out of gear and coast but as soon as I put it back in gear it returns.
If it was a driveshaft or CV joint why would the noise stop when coasting out of gear. If it was a gearbox problem why would turning the steering wheel sharply or driving round town stop it?
This has been an increasing problem for the last 9 months. Is it gearbox or a driveshaft?

Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - Ben {P}
Is there any thing under the car such as an exhaust heat shield that may have worked itself loose?
Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - Civic8
As the noise goes away when out of gear would point to possible
output shaft bearing to differential.Ie gearbox as drive shaft cv joint still moving and no sound would count that out.Sounds like gearbox to me.
Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - dieselhead
Sounds like the problem is caused by worn/dry driveshaft joints to me - had the same problems with a peugeot 205 diesel.

What I think happens is the grease gets flung away from the joints when driving down a fast straight road - going round corners at slow speed re-lubricates the joint to a degree and stops the noise temporarily.

You could try easing back the boots and injecting some grease into the outer cv joints(the inners are usually ok)to see if this makes any improvement.

Gearboxes are a very tough on these cars - if anything goes it's usually the syncho hubs at well over 100k miles.
hope this helps
What I think happens is the grease gets flung away from the
joints when driving down a fast straight road - going round
corners at slow speed re-lubricates the joint to a degree
and stops the noise temporarily

But the noise stops when I take it out of gear even at 80mph. If it were CV joint surely the noise would continue.

Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - dieselhead
When your coasting the driveshafts are not put under any significant load so no heavy metal to metal contact or noise.
Turning the wheel into lock re-distributes the grease around the joint until it gets flung out again and the noise comes back.
When your coasting the driveshafts are not put under any
significant load so no heavy metal to metal contact or noise.
Turning the wheel into lock re-distributes the grease around
the joint until it gets flung out again and the noise comes

>>back.

Well there is no harm in peeling back the gaiters and stuffing some more grease in there, but it sounds a remote theory to me and you would think it would make this noise on every straight fast run if it is just a matter of grease being flung out, but it doesn\'t
As the noise goes away when out of gear would point to
possible output shaft bearing to differential.Ie gearbox as
drive shaft cv joint still moving and no sound would count
that out.Sounds like gearbox to me.

I\'m tending towards gearbox but why does the noise go away after I turn a sharp corner or drive around town?
It is so erratic. Yesterday I drove about 50 miles mainly on straight roads reaching speeds of 70mph and there was no noise at all. I\'ve never known a diff to play up one day and behave itself another. And believe me this noise is fairly loud and sounds serious when it happens. I\'m baffled.
This may be a daft question.But has the oil level in gearbox been checked?
This may be a daft question.But has the oil level in
gearbox been checked?

>>

It is not a daft question at all. Yes the oil level is okay, but I'm going to change the oil and check for any metal bits in the old oil and on the magnetic plug this may give me a clue. Also I'm going to put a tube of Wynns in there and see what happens.
Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - rg
Is this the BE3 gearbox?

There is a known diff bearing weakness on this device which, in extreme cases, causes a bevel gear to eat its way out of the casing.

My 405 1.9D had this problem, but it manifested as a "thump-thum-thump" on left lock which sounded just like drive shafts (but wasn't).

Have you drained the gearbox oil and trawled with a magnet? Any sings of metallic sludge or badly discoloured oil?

HTH

rg
Is this the BE3 gearbox?
There is a known diff bearing weakness on this device which,
in extreme cases, causes a bevel gear to eat its way
out of the casing.
My 405 1.9D had this problem, but it manifested as a
"thump-thum-thump" on left lock which sounded just like drive shafts (but
wasn't).
Have you drained the gearbox oil and trawled with a magnet?
Any sings of metallic sludge or badly discoloured oil?
HTH
rg

Yes it is a BE3 gearbox and tommorrow when I drain the oil I'll see what comes out.
The noise has gone away all by itself. Last week it did it nearly everday and the last time was last Saturday. I can't figure it out at all. Anyway regardless I've changed the gearbox oil. There were no metal shavings on the drain plug and I even ran a magnet through the waste oil in the bowl and nothing. The oil was clean and did not need changing.
The only other thing I can think of is that I do have a sticky RH brake caliper. But if it was pads occasionally rubbing on the disc the noise wouldn't go away when the clutch pedal is depressed or taking it out of gear and coasting. A motoring mystery.
As a matter of interest is it with power steering.I would think it is have you checked the belt.And fluid level.Just a passing thought?
Transmission Whine - Pug 309 Diesel. - pienmash
was going to say power steering as well,sometimes you get a horrible sounds when the pump goes esp if the pulley is wearing loose as they do in pugs,if its going,change it quick .
was going to say power steering as well,sometimes you get a
horrible sounds when the pump goes esp if the pulley is
wearing loose as they do in pugs,if its going,change it
quick .

>>

No there is no power steering, I wish there was. Turning the wheels with a 1.9 lump under the bonnet is not for little old ladies.