Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Dude - {P}
Recent research from The University of Auckland has concluded that the risk of being injured in a silver car was up to 50% less than some darker colours.

They reckoned that this was due to motorists who chose silver, tend to be more mature, better off and low risk takers.!!!

What do you reckon ???
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Civic8
I have had more near misses with silver car`s than any other.Colour too close to fog rain ect.I hate em.Where did they get the research from.I suppose the weather is not as bad as in England?
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - No Do$h
I drive a silver car for the following reasons.

I wanted a 156 JTD Sportwagon
I had a budget of around £11k
There were three in the country in my price range at the time I was looking, and one of those was just 30 miles away, the others over 100.

It was silver.

Does this make me more mature*, better off** and a low risk taker***?

Nah. Not likely.

* You\'ve seen my posts, go figure....
** With the name \"No Dosh\"?
*** Uprated brakes, strut brace for even tighter handling and a power chip.... hmmmmmm.
Now that I think about it, the latter point is a bit misleading. I enjoy driving so have fettled an already fine-handling car to get more out of it. That said, I don't exceed urban speed limits but do, where the road is clear and I have good visibility, exceed the limits on A and B roads. Never with passengers and never when it gets into the blind twisties where I am unable to drive at those speeds within my visibility.
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Welliesorter
I have a silver car and it's excellent for not showing the dirt.

I'll get me coat.
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Roger Jones
Welliesorter

Not so fast, because you are of course correct: I have two silver cars and one black one. The black one needs cleaning three times as often as the silver ones.
Does this make me more mature*, better off** and a low risk taker***?

Nah. Not likely.

Makes you more likely to get clobered.I don`t object to silver motor`s.It doe`s mean they are less likely to be seen in bad weather.Like it or not.And a lot do go faster than the speed limit.That is not including you.In case you wondered.
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Obsolete
When I drove a bright red car I had people keep trying to drive into me. On one occasion in a petrol station queue with engine off, person in front reverses into me ... odd.

Insurers don't ask colour of car so this must mean that colour roughly correlates with other attributes as mentioned earlier.

I wonder what the neat bright red Ford Ka with black spots I keep seeing says about the driver?
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Pugugly {P}
Silver - the last three BMs. Personal choice for the first two, foisted upon me in the (old) shape of the five I currently run.The new BM5 I get in the spring will be in Amethyst Silver which is darker than the standard Titanium Silver and the bnew shape looks as good as it gets in it. Why 'cos I like it and it will be my money this time.
Makes you more likely to get clobered.I don`t object to silver
motor`s.It doe`s mean they are less likely to be seen in
bad weather.

May explain why I tend to have my lights on a good half hour before most other motorists.....
You are in the minority.But i would say side light`s should be used in all weather`s as the Volvo`s.It should be made law here.It has as far as I know worked in Sweden why not here.I think it would cut down on Accident`s.The one thing that has not been mentioned is those that may be slighty colourblind.Ps I did say slightly.And doe`s not say silver is a good colour.You really need to watch out and see what you find.Ie silver is close to the colour of fog?
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - googolplex
Lets be clear about this, its not silver, its metallic grey. Sold like that, there would be a whole lot less on the road.
Splodgeface
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Aprilia
According to CAP (as reported in 'Autocar' magazine) 40% of new cars are now silver - there being apparantly 284 different shades of silver available.
My guess is that in a year or two silver will be considered very 'passe' and silver cars will command a lower price on the used market. I remember in the lates 1980's white being very popular (remember all those white XR3i's, Astra/Cav SRi's and Rover Sterlings) - white subsequently became very unpopular.

Personally I have nothing against silver, but I do think it is less safe. I remember quite a few years ago the BT vans used to be yellow (in the 'Buzby' days) - then one day they rebranded them all in silver and white. Shortly after this I was driving along a quiet road in Scotland - very foggy and damp weather. I almost drove straight into a BT van parked at the bottom of a telephone pole - it was quite invisible in the fog. I thought then that it was a daft decision to change from yellow to silver - given that the vans stop in odd places a lot.
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - Cheeky
Just as there was an explosion of red cars on UK roads in the '80s, silver has become ubiquitous (good word eh?!) with the late '90s onwards. Everywhere I look silver rep mobiles. How dull...
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - GrumpyOldGit
Surely now that this 'research' has been published loads of people who would not previously have chosen one will now go and buy a 'safer' silver car? That will really screw up the statistics! :-)
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - PoloGirl
Flatmate's brand new Passat is 'Urban Grey'.... it is a fabulous car.. but it's BEIGE!! Urban Grey v Beige - no choice really is there!

Silver Cars are Safer ?? - kithmo
You are in the minority.But i would say side light`s should
be used in all weather`s as the Volvo`s.It should be made
law here.It has as far as I know worked in Sweden
why not here.I think it would cut down on Accident`s.

mech1, the only problem with having sidelights on all the time is that they are also called parking lights. This means that those people who can't judge vehicle speed very well (mainly women drivers), seeing a vehicle with parking lights on, assume it is parked, pull out of a junction and suddenly find the vehicle with parking lights on parked on their rear end. I personally think sidelights or parking lights should only come on with the engine switched off and any situation where lights are required, warrants dipped headlights as a minimum. I never drive on sidelights only and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the law says that you must have dipped headlights on when visibility is down (i.e. at night and in fog, rain or falling snow).
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - THe Growler
Hehe where I live safest colour is definitely black, preferably a black Chevrolet Suburban or Ford Excursion with black tint and no license plates:

You are possibly:

- a drug baron
- gambling baron
- a Yakuza
- a Congressman
- or any combination of the above.....

Thus pretty much guaranteed a wide berth. Ah well, the women are beautiful, they know how to serve beer at the right temperature...
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - L'escargot
About 40 years ago the AA did a survey of the colour of cars that had been involved in accidents and concluded that yellow was the safest colour, and that dark green and dark blue were the worst. To an extent this bears out my own experiences. My first two cars were dark green and dark blue respectively and they were forever getting bumped when parked in car parks. I then had a number of yellow cars and had no trouble. The brighter the colour, the more visible it is. Silver is not a bright colour!

At around the same time, Coventry Fire Service came to the conclusion that the normal fire engine red didn't sufficiently catch peoples' attention ~ in that era lots of buses and trucks were red ~ and they commissioned Warwick University to find out which colour was the most noticeable. The colour they came up with was a greenish-yellow. Coventry Fire Service vehicles were then painted this colour and the colour was subsequently accorded British Standard recognition and was named Coventry Fire Engine Yellow. The colour was so striking that some people could only look at it for a short time before feeling sick!

I believe that subsequently the fire vehicles had to be repainted red in the interests of national standardisation.

--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
<< The colour they came up with
was a greenish-yellow. Coventry Fire Service vehicles were then painted this
colour and the colour was subsequently accorded British Standard recognition and
was named Coventry Fire Engine Yellow. The colour was so striking
that some people could only look at it for a short
time before feeling sick!
I believe that subsequently the fire vehicles had to be repainted
red in the interests of national standardisation.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.

I\'ve just found out that yellow is OK in daylight, but under sodium street lights it looks white. It was the Home Office that decreed that all fire service vehicles should be red.
Incidentally, red is my favourite colour. (I\'d love to get my hands on a fire engine!)
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
under s**ium street lights it looks white.

F.a.o. the mods.

Theres nothing wrong with the word s**ium ~ the "o" and the "d" don't have to be changed to asterisks!!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Common problem I\'m afraid. The swear filter picks up on the sod in sodium and ignores that fact that it makes up part of another word.

Personally I\'m all for this one being dropped from the filter. Will look into it.

I\'ve edited your post to show the offending word it all its glory.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Silver Cars are Safer ?? - patently
About 40 years ago the AA did a survey of the
colour of cars that had been involved in accidents and concluded
that yellow was the safest colour, and that dark green and
dark blue were the worst. To an extent this bears out
my own experiences. My first two cars were dark green and
dark blue respectively and they were forever getting bumped when parked
in car parks. I then had a number of yellow cars
and had no trouble. The brighter the colour, the more
visible it is. Silver is not a bright colour!

Couldn't agree more - my current transport is a very dark green and has been rather more akin to a dodgem car than I would like. Roughly one rear-end per year, although I have to admit the first one was my fault...

Next car arrives in April and is dark blue. Ooops.