Congestion in the City - pdc {P}
Had the misfortune to drive to London on Thursday. 3 hours to get from Manchester to the North Circular, and a further hour to do the last few miles to Shepherds Bush. The following day I had to go to Brighton. 1 hr 23 mins to do get to Kingston, 16 miles from starting point, and 3 hours overall to get to Brighton. It only took 3 1/2 hours to do Brighton to Manchester, at 1am.

I could never live there.
Congestion in the City - peterb
It can be a nightmare, but don't forget it's easier if you *do* live here, because you learn which routes are best at which time.
Congestion in the City - THe Growler
How about 4hrs 25 mins to get across Manila (19km) in X'mas traffic? I always say I could never live here either, have been for 9 years, but the women are beautiful and the beer is cold.... :-)
Congestion in the City - Cardew
pdc,
The average speed of traffic in London is 9mph so your journeys were about par. The congestion charge in Central London has increased traffic on the outskirts, although not a great deal.

Presumably you came down M1 to the North Circular? - That stretch of the dreaded A406 is horrible. Should you ever do the journey(Manchester - Shepherds Bush) again you would be much better off coming down the M40/A40 which takes you just North of your destination.

There is no easy route from Shepherds Bush to Brighton through SW London. I would be tempted to go A4/M4 to M25.

Commiserations

C