Christmas gift for your kids? - matt35 {P}
Linking to 'Driver Training' post by Vin, and HJs comments on the thread.

Cost from the IAM for the Skills for Life package is currently reduced from £85-00 to £75-00 for drivers under 26 - this includes the required books, no further charge for Observed drives, and the IAM test.

About the cost of a couple of tanks of petrol - or the cost of the flowers I pass on my way to Tesco at accident sites for young drivers.

Matt35.
Christmas gift for your kids? - Pugugly {P}
Insurance companies should recognise and reduce premiuns by the same amounts - heavily pushed towards MAXPOWER type mags. Also car makers who offer free insurance should make it a condition of the offer.

Even better DoT should stage speed limits for those who have passeed.
Christmas gift for your kids? - puntoo
My three year old would much prefer a scalextric.
Puntoo,

Keep an eye on him - I think he was on the A12 today at around 3.15.

Matt35.
Pugugly,

Have a look at the scheme in Ireland - Hibernian Insurance 'Ignition' scheme for young drivers - combines a wee bit of training with financial incentives for young drivers.

I think that they are owned by Norwich Union - makes me wonder why this is not followed on the mainland.

Matt35.

PS - as a Rangers supporter - definately no personal connection with Hibernian!
Christmas gift for your kids? - PoloGirl
Even better.... keep everyone safe and all club together and buy this for me! ;-)

Seriously though - what's involved in the course? At the risk of getting shot down in flames, I wouldn't want some old bloke in a cardigan who thinks he's the world's greatest driver telling me that I'm not!

PoloGirl,
Just about to reply when a lady called to ask for an info pack!
What I just told her is;

She will be contacted by an Observer to meet at a place and time convenient to both.
They will do around 6 drives (more if required) in her car.
She will not be taught to drive, she will have any bad habits that she has developed highlighted and be taught to use 'The System'of car control.
She will pay £85-00 - £75-00 if under 26 - which includes the required books and the IAM Test...no further charge for the Observed drives.
She will almost certainly be a safer and more relaxed driver at the end of the course - and may find a reduction in her insurance costs.

I can mail you an info pack from our local Group if you give your address to one of the Moderators?

Matt35
Christmas gift for your kids? - volvoman
Would you feel better taking advice from a 17 year old wearing a baseball cap and he latest trainers? ;-)
Christmas gift for your kids? - borasport20
matt - am currently trying to get a gift voucher together to give someone the course as a xmas present - our local group has got some lottery funding (IIRC) which means that if you get as far as sitting the test, you get £40 cashback, so the cost of the course is only £45 - almost less than the cost of a single tank of petrol for a large car !

--
Bora - what Bora ?
Bora,
My local Group are waiving 'our'£35-00 and the IAM HQ are reducing by £10-00 for under 26s - net cost £40-00 including supply of books worth £11-90.

We have also appointed an 18 year old as 'Young Persons Contact' to avoid young drivers having to talk to old cardigans like me!

We do not have funding from the lottery, we accumulated some spare through social activities and as a registered charity can only spend the cash on normal IAM activities...there goes the big Christmas dinner in the local pub.

Matt35
Christmas gift for your kids? - Hawesy1982
I'm 20, 21 on New Years Eve, and IAM training was the first thing on my xmas list this year
Christmas gift for your kids? - PoloGirl
Well I've found a group in Wolverhampton and will be joining them in the new year.

Look forward to posts like "blimey, he told me I can't block change from 2nd to 5th" ...

PoloGirl,
Might be a SHE - our Chief Observer is - either way, they will encourage you to block change.

Bit of advice to get you prepared - pick out and name out loud every road sign that you see as of your next drive, this helps you get your eyes up a bit and helps with the beginning of a commentary - not required on test but a good way to show the examiner that you are planning.

Good Luck.

Matt35.
PS - Don't worry if you look daft speaking to yourself - it's driving daft that is dangerous.
Hawesy,

Good idea - it will last you longer than a cardigan from Marks and Spencer!

Matt35.
Christmas gift for your kids? - borasport20
Matt - just been chasing up the local group re 'gift voucher' and talking to one of the committee men.
There is a bit of paperwork involved with the lottery application, but there was no problem with the application itself, and if I remember to the original article in the local paper, the amount they received was either £3000 or £5000, which is not to be sniffed at.

you could use that to sub the 'course' and use your own funds for hiring a skid pan or test track for the day...

--
Bora - what Bora ?
Bora,
I have passed your comments to the bridge - I am in the engine room - thanks.
Up to this year, we were able to use the Police skid pan but this has been closed, so it might be an idea for next year.
Matt35.