Reporting road tax dodgers - Mudguts
I see many every day...

How do I go about reporting them?
Reporting road tax dodgers - moonshine
This is something I've come across a lot in my recent searches on the web.

It seems to be very easy to do, the options are:

1. Online at the DVLA website
2. The DVLA hotline
3. A CLE 2/6 form (I have one of these!), which I think you can download from DVLA

I think you need to give your name and address, this may a consideration if it's the local yob that you're reporting.
Reporting road tax dodgers - king arthur
There may not be much point. Anyone who can get away without taxing their car obviously doesn't have it registered in their own name, therefore DVLA won't know who to send the reminder or fine to.
Reporting road tax dodgers - Sooty Tailpipes
I reported an anti-social neighbour, twice, including their address, still using it daily, months later!

A year or so ago, I was involved in a case (I can't reveal too may details of the situation) where a large and mostly well-to-do ex-colliery village had a drug dealer move in and he had an untaxed car, as did most of his 'massive' who would stay there a few days at a time. The old lady over the road from him reported them numerous time to the Police and was dismayed to see the same one all the time untaxed. Eventually, the Police went round her house and accused her of having a vendetta against her neighbour.
Reporting road tax dodgers - eMBe {P}
.. The old lady over the road from him reported them numerous time to the Police and was dismayed to see the same one all the time untaxed. Eventually, the Police went round her house and accused her of having a vendetta against her neighbour. >>

If your initial reports don\'t get acted upon, write to your MP with a copy to relevant Minister and your local councillor, and your local paper.

In my district, the local authority remove untaxed AND unregistered cars within 48 hours. If they are registered BUT UNTAXED, the car will still be removed if it has been \"abandoned\".

You have no idea have annoying it is to hear of yobs getting away with no car tax. I've always taxed and insured my cars, I make one stupid mistake and I'm immediatley dragged into court.

What annoyes me even more is that as I'm hard working tax payer rather than claiming benefits I'll probably get a higher fine...

From experience the DVLA will take action against a car with no tax, if it's registered correctly of course....
I have read your thread, moonshine and I can imagine how you feel, no-one is 100% within the law 100% of the time, the people that really pink fluffy dice me off are the riff raff who just don\'t care: On Friday I saw someone with tax out of date by a month and on Saturday someone with a tax disc that expired at the end of June!

Once I know I can report them I\'ll aim for one day.

I have looked on the DVLA website but can\'t seem to find the link to report people.
Reporting road tax dodgers - deere3350
I think you're probably wasting your time reporting them.
I reported a neighbour a few years ago for having two vehicles that were out of tax by months. It took about three calls to the police before they finally came out and gave him fixed penalty notices. (The final call was a heated one :-)

The same happened the following year. This time I wrote to the DVLA. They wanted me to fill in a form saying where I had seen the vehicles, and whether they were being used etc. The text on the form advised that a copy would be passed to the offender and I might have been called as a witness.

Needless to say I didn't bother filling it in.

In my view, even when you hand road tax dodgers details to the DVLA, they're still not interested. (Or they expect you to do all the dirty work)

Random checks at the side of the road when the police and DVLA feel like it ?
That's a different matter...
When I recieved my summons there was a copy of the CLE form that the PC had filled in. The PC had given his address as the police station. If I wanted to be troublesome I could have pleaded innocent and forced the PC to appear at court for which he would get paid.

If I filled in a CLE form in I would have to give my home address which would then be available to the offender.

I could be forced to appear in court which would mean taking a days leave or losing a days pay.

I would probably live in fear of getting bricks through the windows for the coming months.

I'd recommend getting the police out (if you can) and getting them to report it.
From the DVLA site

www.dvla.gov.uk/public/press_releases/2003/p_relea...m

To support the campaign, along with DVLA wheelclamping and Stingray mobile camera units, DVLA will be launching its new freephone VED enforcement hotline. Members of the public can now report unlicensed vehicles in the North West to DVLA on freephone 08000 325 202.

"Honest motorists are fed up with the small hard core who continually evade paying their road tax. We are determined to target this irresponsible group and are inviting the public's help in doing so. Members of the public can phone the hotline to report unlicensed vehicles. All information will be held in the strictest confidence. Tax dodgers do not usually have up to date insurance or Mot Certificates and are often involved in some other forms of criminality.

5. Under new Government measures to tackle vehicle crime, reduce abandoned vehicles and ensure that every vehicle has a traceable keeper, from January 2004, registered keepers of vehicles will be legally responsible at all times for licensing their vehicles. This responsibility will remain until the registered keeper notifies DVLA that their vehicle has been sold, scrapped, stolen or exported, or unless a current Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has been declared. Registered Keepers will face an automatic £80 penalty if they fail to relicense their vehicle on time. The level of this penalty will be subject to public consultation later this year. If the vehicle remains unlicensed, then following the provisions of the 2002 Finance Act, determined offenders could face a minimum fine of £1,000 or up to ten times the annual rate of duty. Offenders will be penalised automatically from the record when their tax disc expires or SORN lapses. There will no longer be any need to see the unlicensed vehicle on the road.

It looks like even getting your tax a day late will incur a fine.

'The same happened the following year. This time I wrote to the DVLA. They wanted me to fill in a form saying where I had seen the vehicles, and whether they were being used etc. The text on the form advised that a copy would be passed to the offender and I might have been called as a witness.'

...False address?
Reporting road tax dodgers - Dwight Van Driver
As I understand it and perhaps MLC,FC will confirm, Plod has been concerned in the past about the address details of a witness coming to the notice of defendants with malice afterthought and no longer include personal details at the front of a statement form but on the rear with a note for Police and CPS use only.

Therefore if asked for address on a Cle 2/1 just write "as recorded by DVLA." However the name of the informant will be in the public domain.

Very difficult this as if you were accused would you not want to know the details of your accuser?

DVD
Reporting road tax dodgers - No Do$h
Very difficult this as if you were accused would you not
want to know the details of your accuser?

What innocent reason could you have for wanting to know?
Reporting road tax dodgers - James_Jameson
What worries me is that there are people who think that an identity card will solve these sort of problems, i.e. untraceable people.

But it will be the same old thing, the bona fide people will be signed up and have their every move watched like a hawk to an ever greater degree, while the usual "escapees will remain out of the system".
Scary ID cards - moonshine
Having worked in IT as a programmer for a few years I know that no matter how secure or sosphisticed systems are it doesn't take long for someone to find a way in. Computer systems are always under attack and often security breaches will come form within an organisation.

So this is the story....

It's a sunday night in 2005 and you're siting at home watching TV. Mr plod knocks on your door and arrests you for conning the bank out of £1,000,000. "It wasn't me!" you protest, "alright mate, heard that one before" replys mr plod. "We know it was you because your ID card was used to take out the loan" they tell you down at the station.

Meanwhile back at gotham national security ID card centre an underpaid and hence disgruntled memeber of staff is deciding what to do with the £1,000,000 he's just got hold of.

Unfortunatley I fear that the system will be open to fraud and abuse. Just because it's high tech it doesn't mean it's secure, it may make it easier to compromise.

I agree that security can/needs to be improved but it's difficult to do so without effecting freedom.
Reporting road tax dodgers - Pugugly {P}
Its all to do with advance disclousure. In practice the address of the witness would remain undisclosed. But I suppose if I was ever reported in this way, I would want the witness invited to Court to give evidence.
Reporting road tax dodgers - No Do$h
But I suppose if I
was ever reported in this way, I would want the witness
invited to Court to give evidence.

To give evidence of something that can be confirmed by DVLA records and a quick visit/drive/walk past by local police?

As mentioned above, a police officer gets paid to attend court, the public rarely do at a rate that reflects their actual income.

Ah, British justice...... Procedure before common sense every time.