Mysterious Banging Noises - HF
Sorry, it's the Astra again.

The last few days, and curiously since it returned from its latest trip to the Wilds of the North, I have begun to notice strange noises.

As always, noises are difficlut to describe, but sometimes it sounds as if there is someone in the boot playing a kind of Caribbean-style drum, with the beat completely in tune with the beat of the engine. (There was no-one there - I checked).

This seems to happen only in low gear, when driving slowly. Once third and maybe 25-30 is reached it goes away.

The sound could also be likened to an amplified heartbeat sound through a hospital monitor.

Would just like to be reassured that this isn't another sign of woes to come.

Thanks for any comments - I know this sounds ridiculous but I need to know that my car isn't dying.

HF
Mysterious Banging Noises - Altea Ego
Its the exhaust pipe. Its resonating thro the body, or vibrating on the body. A strap hanger is going, a rubber mount has gone hard, or its a bit loose. Nothing serious, not going to leave you stranded.
Probably - I should have said Probably the exhaust pipe......
Thanks, RF - that was quick!

Sure of course I realise it's a 'probably', don't worry about that! - how do I tell though? Is it something I have to get checked out by a mechanic?

Very glad if it won't leave me stranded - but is it something costly, and is it something I can leave until 'as and when', or something that needs seeing to soon? (eek, I can see another large whammy coming off our Christmas Pressie budget!)

Thanks though, and anything further greatly appreciated.
HF
HF

A quick hands and knees job under the car and a shake and rattle of the pipe and boxes will reveal if anything is broken or loose. Many cars develop this and they carry on happily till the exhaust is changed when it reaches its natural life. If you are ultra cautious then a quick trip to the mechanic should reveal all.
Hi RF

You were right - though goodness knows how from my description!

The first rubber mounting was broken on the exhaust, and so the exhaust was hanging loose.

Took it to Kwik-Fit, who repaired it free of charge!

Mind you, they did point out that I needed two new tyres, (which was true!) so it wasn't a partucularly cheap afternoon. :(

Anyway thanks for the advice - it was spot on.

HF
I failed! I lied in that case - Broken strap means could have fallen off and left you stranded!!!!!!!!!
Oo-er, good job I got it fixed then! (Actually Rob takes credit for that - had it been down to me I would have used my tried and trusted 'wait till it becomes crucial or beyond repair' method).