Speed on the M4 - J Bonington Jagworth
Not speeding, necessarily (or cameras, come to that).

This arrived in my in-box today. I assume it is correct?

"Those new electronic signs on the M4 were switched on this Tuesday. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras. SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how far apart the signs are so it can work out
your average speed between the two, or three or four.
The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes. You will not know you've been caught as the cameras don't flash. They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue.

The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services (between 14 and 15) is wired, both ways. Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no radar or laser beam to detect."
Speed on the M4 - GrumpyOldGit
It's not true. There have been a couple of other threads on this already. The cameras are there simply to montior traffic while the new information signs are being tested. Please reply to the sender of the email and ask them to make sure they tell everyone they have advised that they got it wrong.
Speed on the M4 - RichardW
No, hoax.

See

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=17...5

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Concealed SPECS on M4, M5, M6 & M42? - Orson {P}
I've just had an email from someone stating that SPECs have been incorporated in the new signs on the M4 between J12 and J15, and will probably be incorporated on the new signs on the M5, M6 and M42.

Anyone know if this is true, or just a spot of over-zealous scaremongering?

O
Concealed SPECS on M4, M5, M6 & M42? - Mark (RLBS)
Try searching this forum. This rumour has been raised time and time again and usually discarded.

When I have time I'll ut the different threads together.
Concealed SPECS on M4, M5, M6 & M42? - Mark (RLBS)
It appears that they are all in the Speed Camera threads. Which is where this thread will be found later today.