Rover KV6 2.5 - corky
Can anyone advise?
In September 2001, my Sterling (november, 1997) required a new engine. The engine gasket problem had caused the block to suffer corrosion, which was not repairable. The mileage at that time was 59,500. It has now done 84,500 on tghe new engine, reasonably without fault. It seems that there are still KV6's in the current 75, and having seen recently a TV programme highlighting the KV engine problems that Rover are still encountering makes me wonder whether Rover have resolved the KV6 problems. It seems impossible to get a definitive answer from my local Rover dealers. When I invested(!!) in the new engine, I couldn't imagine that Rover had not fixed the problem - it seemed so well documented at the time.
This recent bout of adverse publicity is giving me cause for concern, as it's unclear what the chances are of the new engine covering 80K miles are so (which I woulod be generously satisfied with).
It also raises the question as to whether it will require a new gearbox (automatic). So far this has not given me cause for concern.

Comments and advice would be welcome

Regards,

Corky
Rover KV6 2.5 - Dizzy {P}
Corky,
I didn't see the TV programme but I thought it was only the 1.8 four-pot that was featured, not the KV6.

It has been said that the 2.5 as it was before the Rover 75 was introduced was a bit weak but BMW worked with Rover to overcome the weaknesses and make it almost bomb-proof. If that is so, and since you received your new engine after the launch of the 75, I would have thought yours would be OK for a long while yet.

Where does your automatic gearbox question fit in with this? I haven't quite grasped the connection (if any).
Rover KV6 2.5 - corky
Sorry, the reason I mentioned the gearbox, is that if that is going to require rebuild/replacement as well as the engine failing within say the next 30K miles, then I should think really serious about selling the car on. My experience with a 86 Scorpio (2.9) was that I got 120K miles before the gear box required any work on it. So I was hoping I might get the same out of the Sterling. (Maybe I just got lucky). My driving is mostly motorway, so I would hope that would help.
Thanks for you input,
Corky.
Rover KV6 2.5 - Dave N
In my travels around Rover and Land Rover dealers, I have seen a number of V6 75's with engine problems, usually head/head gasket issues, as far as I can tell. Same applies to Freelander V6's.

They seem to be particularly fussy about coolant levels (much like the smaller K series), which doesn't bode well for their longevity.
Rover KV6 2.5 - SjB {P}
Some more recent 75s had chocolate camshafts, and early 75s had crankshaft sensor problems.

In fairness, many of my colleagues drive KV6 engined 75s (and one Freelander), most have covered high mileages, some intergalactically so, and the only problem I know of is one crankshaft sensor when brand new (2000W).
Rover KV6 2.5 - corky
Thanks for your comment. When the first engine failed I was told by the Rover dealership mechanic that yes they did have problems with the factory installed coolant in the early units, apparently it did not like the gasket material and/or the alloy engine which caused the corrosion. I would hope that would be an issue which could readily have been resolved. So like you say, it may depend upon the coolant that goes into these units when serviced.
Thanks,
Corky
Rover KV6 2.5 - NitroBurner
After 100yrs of practice, building good, smooth & reliable engines should be a doddle for manufacturers these days...

Whoever designed & signed off the CVH (Chronic Vibration & Harshness?)should be sentenced to 25yrs stripping down & rebuilding V-Tech engines...
Rover KV6 2.5 - king arthur
The first examples of the KV6 fitted to the 800 were apparently almost hand built, as if Rover was using the 800 as a guinea-pig. Suffered from catastrophic head problems that usually meant a new engine required. After a couple of years the engine was redesigned, so later examples shouldn't suffer this problem. The head gasket problem highlighted on a recent program relates to K-series engines built before 1999 and is a separate issue, but should not normally mean a new engine being required - unless possibly if the owner continues to drive with the engine overheating.

Do not use your experience of the Ford Granada's auto gearbox in judging the likely longevity of the 75 one - 120k sounds about right for a Granny auto.