Tyres - welshy
Excuse me for posting this , im sure that you all wont mind ? New tyres for my 1995 Cavalier Sri , I think that they are 195,60,15 ?? I know for certain that they are 15 inch alloy rims. Are all tyres the same , are some tyres softer on the walls ? What would you guys recomend I should buy , I cant really afford very expensive makes, but obviously I want a good tyre ! Please help.
Tyres - Dynamic Dave
I had Vikings [1] all round on my previous Cavalier. Relatively cheap, and handled ok in both dry and wet conditions.

[1]My local tyre garage informed me that they are the same company as Continental.
Tyres - John Boy
Until recently I delivered tyres for a small tyre importer and learnt a lot just by handling them.
 The expensive brands feel light and flexible and go in a straight line when you roll them along the ground.
 The ones which were returned with faults were, in my experience, mainly the cheapest brands.
 Retreads should definitely be avoided - two of the same size can have large variations in weight.
We used to recommend Lassa tyres, which are made in Turkey in a factory owned by Bridgestone. To me, they "felt" almost as good as the most expensive brands, but were reasonably cheap. I don't remember any being returned. I can't comment on Vikings because I don't remember delivering any.

PS. The most horrifying faulty tyre was one which had a bolt embedded, head outwards, in the inside of the wall - it was covered with about 1mm of rubber which "popped" as soon as the tyre was under pressure.

Tyres - flatfour
I don't know where you live but if your anywhere near Cardiff, nip into Celtic tyres and ask for Hayden, he's proved to be a mind of information on tyres for my company fleet, won't rip you off with a high price tyre you don't need.
Tyres - eMBe {P}
welshy - look at your tyre walls, they will have the size written on them.
Then go to

www.kwikfit.co.uk/pages/tyrebooking.asp

to work out how much your tyres are likely to cost, depending on the maker.

The kwik-fit online prices are cheaper than going to them direct. You can look up the quotes without having to book your car in.
Tyres - smokie
Wow...just checked the prices for my tyres using this...

So...after doing the KwikFit thing, contact almost ANY local place and they will often be considerably cheaper! (about £50 per tyre cheaper in my case!)

Tyres - M.M
Welshy,

If you're on a budget but want a major established brand get Firestone F-700's. They do not seem to have any really bad traits.

Look at the Kwite High prices by all means but then go to a smaller independent for a deal.

Just as an example the popular, smallish tyre for a ZX TD is £17 more per tyre (for the Firestone) on that link than I'm getting them fitted for currently.

M.M