2nd hand car price guides - CM
My local newsagent did not have a copy of Glasses so I bought WhatCar Price Guide.

I am thinking of buying a non-new car for SWMBO and have been comparing the prices with those offered by main dealers (as I like the security of 12 month guarantee and 30-day returns). But I have found that the prices that they are charging are much more than the guides are stating. For example a car that the dealer is trying to charge £7995 for is about £6500 in the book.

Now I know that the dealers prices are not set in concrete but I doubt that they will drop down to the "book" price. I have also used the mileage adjustment table to adjust the price of the car.

My questions are:

(1) Do WhatCar and Glasses give basically the same prices?
(2) Can I expect to be able to buy a car at the listed price in the guide book?
(3) Is the mileage adjustment table worth taking into consideration as dealers seem not to judging by their prices?
(4) If I go along to a dealer should I take the book with me and say that he is trying to charge £1500 over the odds?

Any help would be gratefully received as I will admit to not being that experienced in buying cars (although I do know that the advertised price is not the one you want to pay).
2nd hand car price guides - Altea Ego
1) Do WhatCar and Glasses give basically the same prices?

Sometimes

(2) Can I expect to be able to buy a car at the listed price in the guide book?

At a dealer? rarely

(3) Is the mileage adjustment table worth taking into consideration as dealers seem not to judging by their prices?

No

(4) If I go along to a dealer should I take the book with me and say that he is trying to charge £1500 over the odds?

No

The clue is in your first words.

cost of car £6500
Cost of Warranty, piece of mind and 30 day return £1495
Total £7995

You will have room to haggle, on second hand cars, but not much. Dont forget the dealer has paid a sum for the car, added his fixed and variable costs, added a profit margin and a small haggle factor.
Car dealers are canny. They sell cars for a price they know they will get. If you dont want to pay it, someone else will. The guides are no more than that - a guide. Its not a fixed price list.

To really see what prices the cars go for, go to an auction. If you like cars, burgers, and loads of atmosphere its a day out in its own right.

2nd hand car price guides - Andrew-T
WhatCar and Glass's have different purposes. WC (and others) sample the market and report what cars are selling for. G leads the market, telling the trade what to charge for their cars. And you should regard WC prices as without part-ex, which may mean several hundred less than the number on the screen or in the ad.

In the 'old days' traders used to consult Glass's under the desk in case any outsiders found out secrets. Now they seem happy to share it with you, but I didn't know that G was on general sale yet?
Ah thats because glasses is no longer the trade bible. The Cap range of books (they have a black one and a blue one I think)rule the roost trader wise now.
Thanks for all the info.

For info WC list prices under the following bands-

Trade
Part Ex
Private
Dealer

I would have thought that the Dealer price was somewhere near what could be expected but as said above this isn't going to be the case!!
Just for interest, and loook at HJ's auction report and comments on the market. There will be shedloads of used cars appearing soon due to the reg number change. Market awash with used cars will depress prices till they get cleared thro.
2nd hand car price guides - Steve G
The best price 'guide' by far is the Autotrader website IMO.
The car supermarket I work for use this as their pricing guide for nearly new stock.
Glass's guide book is not availble to the public, only dealers for £300+ per year.Unless you use the Glass website (see the left panel for the link) the only guides available are the ones mentioned so far. I have found these to be completely useless (especially the mileage adjustment).
The only way of getting a lower price from a dealer is to find a similar car at another dealer and then ask for a better price.

Good luck

Steve

I feel bad that the mileage adjuster is useless as I have used it to sell on my current car to my sister!!! ;.) although I did split the difference with her!