Best Buy Home Breathalyser - frmarcus
Dear Honest John,

Do you have any recommendation for the above? There are a number on the market and I'd like something under £50 that's accurate and reliable.

Many thanks!
frmarcus
Best Buy Home Breathalyser - smokie
Marcus - advice from here will probably be to save your money and don't drink at all when driving (I don't ALWAYS practice it, but often do)

I will say, however, that I would certainly not knowingly be in the position to need to depend on a breathalyser to tell me whether I am "safe" to drive or not. I think the only circumstances I might be occassionally doubtful is the "morning after".

There was an article somewhere today (Teletext?) which said that many people overestimate how much they can "safely" drink before driving, due primarily to mis-understanding of the "units" system.
Best Buy Home Breathalyser - teabelly
There is a calculator online www.rupissed.com/ ( it has an unfortunate name which the swear filter may render unreadable) that gives you an indication of your blood alcohol level depending on gender, age , height & weight etc and the amount and what you drink and crucially the speed you drink it. It shows you how long it takes to get rid of all the alcohol in your body and what you likely blood alcohol level will be at times you choose. So someone that drinks one unit per hour over 4 hours would have differing readings compared to someone who banged down 4 units in the first 10 minutes.

It is still safer not to drink at all if you are driving within a few hours and still be fairly sensible if you know you have to drive the next day before lunchtime. I would have thought somebody like Which might have tested their claims and seen how accurate they are. I would suspect that they would overestimate people's alcohol levels to be on the safe side and have a huge disclaimer that if you were over the limit they weren't responsible if their device said you were ok to drive.
teabelly
Best Buy Home Breathalyser - Altea Ego
DO NOT buy one of these if its your intention to drink up to the legal limit. The accuracy of all such devices is questionable and need to be calibrated regularly. Even the hand held ones the police use are for indication only and not for prosecution. Use one at your peril. Use your 50 quid for taxis.