Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - Fullchat
Apart from 20BHP does anyone know what the technical differences are between the 90 & 110 BHP HDI engines?

Fullchat
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - neil
In terms of RECOGNISING the difference - the 110 has an intercooler. Also, the chassis numbers are different... Z in the first characters for 110, Y for 90 in a Xantia. In terms of performance, the 110 is a lot faster but coarser - the 90 is a very sweeet engine indeed, the 110 I've got is sweet but can be 'gruff' when working hard. I'm told they're very similar on fuel - 43-44 in my Xantia estate, driven quite hard but on 25-mile commute as a minimum run. Rarely more than 45 even on long motorway trips - but 'making progress'...(Sorry, Trevor!)
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - Fullchat
Thanks for that. I was wondering if it was maybe just something simple like a chip change. Seems not!

Fullchat
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - sean
I can't speak about Pug-Cits, but ours have the small matter of variable vanes in the turbochargers, worth at least 20bhp, and probably up to 60 bhp really.

A smidgeon of mods to the Siemens proggie in the ecu, a tad, too.
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - clachnacudden
Any OpinionS on the 1.9 Diesel (1,868) engine...? FOR A 2001 Y Reg 206...
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - Alf
I'm not an engine tech-head, but I can't see that just by adding an intercooler you get an extra 20bhp up from just 90hp. Does anyone know what other mods are done?

On our C3 HDi 16v it has an extra 22hp over the 70hp that the 8v Hdi has. But in addtion to the intercooler it has an extra 8valves! Is the 110hp hdi 16valves?

Regards,

Alf
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - Baskerville
If this is the TD that was made only for the 206 then I'd say it's a bit gruff by HDI standards but gives plenty of welly and very economical. A friend of mine has one and seems pleased, especially with the economy.
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - RichardW
Adding the intercooler does not in itself give the extra 20 BHP, but it allows you to get the extra horses. Intercooler = colder inlet air = denser = more mass. Therefore can add more diesel, and hence more power comes out. Tweaks to the ECU are also required. It is likely that there also changes this things such as conrods, pistons, cam profiles / lift / timing, the turbo etc etc....

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - Wee Willie Winkie
If I'm correct (which is unlikely), the 90bhp engine in the 206 is the same as the one in the 307 and 406.

If so, it's okay. It was a bit coarse when coaxed up the rev range in my 406, but then it was hauling more weight than a 206 would be. Other than that, it's a really good cruiser. When I was looking for a diesel, I looked at Golfs and Pugs, and I bought a Pug on initial cost, looks, and performance. Do I need my head examining? Probably.
Peugeot/Citreon HDIs - Ross_D
The 1868cc (DW8??) diesel engine I think clachnacudden mentioned is in fact not an HDi but a reworking of the old 1905cc XUD unit. It was also used in the last N/A diesel 306's. Its not direct injection but IDI. The HDi is the turbo engine, this one is the equivelent N/A unit.