Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - LongDriver {P}
Leesten very carefully, as I shall say zis only once...

Towing a trailer?

Then stay out of the blinking 3rd lane on the motorway - YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT!

I thankyou.

End of rant.
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - Wales Forester
Thought I was ok if I was doing 90?
;-)

PP
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - flatfour
>Thought I was ok if I was doing 90?

its about 96, thats when the little wheels eventually lift off, so technically your no longer towing, ever wondered why the tyres never wear out on trailers?
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - Doc
You are absolutely right, but remember this only applies to the outside lane of Motorways with 3 or more lanes.
(and not to Motorways such as the M2; or the QE2 bridge, which is not part of the M25)
Damn, you beat me to my clarification.

3rd lane of 3, 4th lane of 4....nth lane of n

NO TRAILERS

No towing anything even!
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - Doc
You are absolutely right, but remember this only applies to the
outside lane of Motorways with 3 or more lanes.
(and not to Motorways such as the M2

------------
It just shows you how long it's been since I used the M2!
I travelled along it today and it has FOUR lanes in parts!
Must try to get out more.
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - borasport20
Leesten very carefully, as I shall say zis only once...
Towing a trailer?
Then stay out of the blinking 3rd lane on the motorway
- YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT!
I thankyou.
End of rant.

if rant mode is permitted (and lets face it, we're all getting a bit sweaty and short of sleep), can I add my two penn'orth

If you are driving down a road where the speed limit is n, and you are travelling at n, and you see (a) a camera or (b) a traffic car, then braking to n-10 does not make you a better driver.

thank you and good night. sleep well

Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - daveyjp
A slight diversion on this thread - should towing vehicles be restricted to just lanes 1 and 2 regardless of whether the road has 3 or 4 lanes? I think so, try the M62 westbound from Brighouse to Ainley Top. Four lanes provided as the hill is steep - result - Lane 1 wagon doing 45, lane 2 wagon doing 47, lane three wagon doing 50, lane four cars doing 51 - result miles of tailbacks.
Yes, definitely IMHO.

You forgot to mention that they also drive about 10 feet from the lorry in front, regularly resulting in squished lorry driver when the one in front lifts off because the snail he was about to pass has just pulled out in front of him, presumably having indicated after starting the maneouvre, in a typically lorry-driver "I've just pulled out" way - remember the code " Maneouvre, Signal, Mirror, Raise middle finger, Sound horn" in that order...
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - John S
LD

You forgot to mention the speed limit when towing on a motorway is 60, not 70, which also seems to be ignored!

Regards

John S
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - A Dent{P}
HGV's dont ignore it. They move into lane two to overtake the one in front doing 59.8 mph and take all day over it. Very funny lads. Keep them in lane one only by law I say. And have you seen the state of lane one of M whatever anywhere?
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - henry k
And have you seen the state of lane one of M whatever anywhere?

It is certainly hairy on the M25 when driving an ancient UNO 999 with skinny tyres. The tramlining effect really does need a handful of rudder to keep control at times. The truck Grand Prix on the hills is a real pain when trying to keep up momentum.

It would appear that any rebuilding of lane one is being done with the new Quiet tarmac. The M27 J3 to 2 area has had all the lanes of noisy concrete replaced with quietMac. Quite spooky when I first used it.
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - A Dent{P}
Yes, I use the M27 and north of Portsmouth it?s like a ploughed field. After several years of work and numerous delays, the inside lane will need major work again, and while that happens the HGV?s will be destroying the other lanes. I don?t know if it?s poor road building, subsidence or just that the lorries are too heavy but I also saw the effect on a visit Humberside recently. I cant believe car are causing this.
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - LHM
On the subject of articulated vehicles, is the tractor unit itself (minus trailer) allowed in the outside lane?
No, they still exceed the weight limit. The only "lorries" you should see in outside lane of a 3+ lane dual carriageway are those which can be driven on a normal driving licence - ie 7.5T GVW.

Additionally, despite the general view that buses and coaches are not permitted in that lane, there are exceptions - again below a certain seating capacity, hence the fact that many coaches of that size display a sign to advise Mr Angrycardriver behind that the coach is actually entitled to be there!
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - pdc {P}
1 am this morning, M6 J18-J19, roadworks 3 miles ahead. Lorry in lane 3, with nothing infront of him for 3 miles, preventing other vehicles from zip merging 3 miles ahead. Whenever traffic in lanes 1 and 2 stopped he would too.

Nice one mate. Took your photo and index number. Informing plod later.

I thank you, for adding 40 minutes onto my journey.
Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - doug_523i
I think cranes should be barred from motorways, anything that struggles to do 20mph up a hill should be classed as a moped.
Being from the construction industry, I would have to say:

Where would you suggest mobile cranes travel?

They are expensive bits of kit, so they can't be kept "locally" to every job.

eg...hire costs: generally these work out at £1/tonne/hour as a rule of thumb, plus you generally have to pay for 8-10 hours hire as a minimum.

The ones you normally see going REALLY slowly on the motorway, with their entourage of artics carrying counterweights, are upwards of 500 tonnes (when erected) and upto 1000 tonnes (heaviest in UK).

Therefore, these cost £5000 - £10000 PER DAY to hire, plus around a day's hire for erection and dismantling.

So you don't find such cranes locally! For example - their are only 2 no. 1000t mobile cranes in UK.

Trailers in Lane 3 of motorway - DavidHM
Can someone please tell me why I mind cranes on the motorway less than caravans?

Also, as an aside - if they did classify them as mopeds, I could almost imagine some 16 year old muppet buying one to drive to school... :-)