The Future of Car Sales - Ingenia

Due to the pandemic, motor dealers have learnt how to conduct transactions online and allow contactless handovers. For many dealers, online car sales have increased rapidly over the period, becoming an essential tool. We want to know how you feel about these changes:

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SR2KTBZ

The Future of Car Sales - Avant

The Email address is of a seemingly genuine motor trade recruitment company. If anyone has a yen to fill in surveys, this should be OK.

The Future of Car Sales - Ingenia

Hello. Yes, Ingenia Recruitment is a genuine motor trade recruitment company. It is interesting to know what the customer's opinions are on the new sales process. Personally, I like to carry out research on a vehicle, visit dealerships and test drive the car. Personal previous experience of purchasing a car from a franchised dealership will most likely effect what people think about the new online sales process.

The Future of Car Sales - Sulphur Man

If it rids the sales experience of uninformed dealership sales staff, or worse, misinforming buyers (eg. DPF maintenance) then I'm all for it.

For me, the quality anf consistency of the buying and aftersales experience is as important as the choice of vehicle itself. Many are drawn to Land Rover vehicles, but many are less than complimentary of the dealer network. In contrast, Lexus owners are very happy with their transaction experience and aftersales support.

The nature of the transaction is one thing, online or otherwise. The aftersales and handover experience is more important.

The Future of Car Sales - Steveieb
I agree Sulphur man but the comparison between JLR and Lexus highlights the difference between dealers selling cars which either go wrong a lot or not at all.
I imagine the Lexus staff can relax and feel confident that the product they sell will be almost 100% reliable and customers will have little to complain about.
Whereas imagine being at the receiving end of a Range Rover customers complaints after he/she has spent a huge amount of money and only to be humiliated when it cocstantly breaks down. Some of the problems are un fixable so they then have the task of seeking authorisation for a replacement from the manufacturer.
Hence the message " He s on the phone, In a meeting , on leave this week " which greets the hapless customer. And sometimes resulting in customers blocking the entrance to showrooms with their broken cars !
The Future of Car Sales - Andrew-T

Can't usefully comment - I've only visited one dealership in the last 12 years. For the record, I bought my Pug from the Macclesfield Pug dealer, where I got a good deal and plenty of tic-tac with the pretty knowledgeable salesman afterwards. More recently SWMBO and I viisited a Hyundai dealership near here with a view to an i10. She had a test-drive in an auto, and a friendly interchange of views. We didn't sign up to anything, and we were not troubled by any follow-up.

No complaints about either experience, more than acceptable. But perhaps not typical ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/01/2021 at 12:44

The Future of Car Sales - mcb100

Very typical, but people only tend to report on negative experiences.

There are two distinct 'camps' of car buyers - those who would think nothing of finding a car online, buying it and driving it for the first time as the owner, and those who spend hours in showrooms and on test drives before making a decision.

The Future of Car Sales - skidpan

We had bought 2 Skoda's from the same dealer (via Carfile) in about 3 1/2 years and last October I went to have a quick look in the boot of an iV having read space had been reduced due to the battery etc. If I was OK with it I would book a test drive and take it from there. I was waiting at the desk for someone to get me keys for one parked outside when a chap who was taking photo's of used vehicles asked me if I was OK, told him fine, just waiting for some keys. After about 10 minutes the girl behind the desk asked a passing salesman if he could get the keys and he was quite rude saying that I would have to make an appointment. She explained I only wanted a quick look in the boot but he would not help and walked off.

As I left I bumped into the chap who had earlier asked if I was OK and told him what had happened. He got his mobile out and within a minute a set of keys had appeared and he answered all my questions. I phoned the next day, made an appointment and bought one.

On collection I said to the salesman that he should thank the guy who was outside taking photo's and he told me he was the chap who owned the business but in his retirement he still liked to come in a couple of afternoons and week and take photo's and clean cars.

Never saw the rude salesman again, wonder if he "left"?

The Future of Car Sales - RickyBoy

Wouldn't buy anything without first:
looking at it close-up (do I really like/does it look the part in that metallic colour choice);
touching it/opening the bonnet, doors, and boot/hatch;
sitting in it (can I get comfortable):
test-driving it:
haggling over the cost of it – obviously!

OK, so you could do the last one over the phone but I enjoy the face-to-face battle of wits...

The Future of Car Sales - RT

Wouldn't buy anything without first:
looking at it close-up (do I really like/does it look the part in that metallic colour choice);
touching it/opening the bonnet, doors, and boot/hatch;
sitting in it (can I get comfortable):
test-driving it:
haggling over the cost of it – obviously!

OK, so you could do the last one over the phone but I enjoy the face-to-face battle of wits...

I've always done all of those but not at the dealer I bought the car from - in the case of the last two cars there was no price negotiation as one was bought on a manufacturer's affinity scheme, the other through an online broker - neither had a trade-in.

Franchised service centres can continue to offer test drives of their "management" cars with everything else done online.

Franchised dealers (or any dealer, come to that) will get hit with a hefty fine if trading standards mystery shop them and find test drives of any form being offered.

I know it's being done, but it's illegal.

The Future of Car Sales - RickyBoy

Perhaps I should have made it clear(er) that I'm not planning to change either of our motors this year unless something totally unforeseen occurs or an exceptional deal is offered.

In principle I would buy online – if I was replacing like for like (identical marque & model but latest version) and was already comfortable with that particular vehicle – but extremely doubtful if I was considering an alternative manufacturer and a car that I had no previous experience of!

Best...

Franchised dealers (or any dealer, come to that) will get hit with a hefty fine if trading standards mystery shop them and find test drives of any form being offered.

I know it's being done, but it's illegal.

AFAIK test drives are still legal but must be un-accompanied and the vehicle needs disinfecting before and after.

Scotland has an exemption that permits test drives, but all car sales in England and Wales must be contactless. A handover can take place at a designated place outside the showroom, and that is the only time a customer can visit the dealership.

We know of instances of cars being taken out to customers' houses, but that is definitely not in the spirit of the regulations.

The Future of Car Sales - Alby Back
I've not so much as bought a pair of socks since last March, let alone a car. I suppose if one of ours was stolen or something, then we might, but while they're not going very far and not very often, it's about the last thing on our list of things to do.

A handover can take place at a designated place outside the showroom, and that is the only time a customer can visit the dealership.

How can that work. I walked past one of our local dealers this afternoon. The site is open and there is nothing to prevent anyone from walking on and looking at cars.

To stop potential customers visiting would need dealers to erect Heras fencing (other brands are available) to physically prevent persons entering the premises.

But since servicing, repairs and MOT are still allowed stopping persons visting would simply not be possible.

You’re correct in that service and parts customers are allowed on site. That is deemed a necessary journey.
So far as sales is concerned, no dealer going to put up fencing for (hopefully) a few weeks. But they’re not allowed to invite, or interact with a customer on site. Trading standards are out and about enforcing this as ‘mystery shoppers’. There are tales of cars being left on the road with the keys on the wiper arm following a telephone or email conversation, but again it’s not within the spirit.
It’s pretty straightforward, look at photos or video from the dealer staff, or a video call, pay for it then go to collect. Because the transaction has taken place remotely, the customer is protected by distance selling regulations and can return within 14 days, often with a deduction in refund for mileage in excess of a pre-agreed allowance.
The Future of Car Sales - alan1302

To stop potential customers visiting would need dealers to erect Heras fencing (other brands are available) to physically prevent persons entering the premises.

No need for fences, most people won't be going out to view without an appointment anyway...and if there is anyone that goes on site then you can just ask them to leave. No need for any extreme measures.

No need for fences, most people won't be going out to view without an appointment anyway...and if there is anyone that goes on site then you can just ask them to leave. No need for any extreme measures.

I cannot see how looking at cars on a forecourt is any greater risk than parking at a supermarket and walking through the car park. If they are locked it can only be a look through the windows. I suspect that the exterior of a car is not capable of passing on Covid by simply looking at it.

If I was asked to leave a site when I was doing nothing illegal I would ensure that I never visited there again. Asking potential customers to leave instead of saying something like "if anything interests you please contact us by phone or e-mail" seems pretty extreme to me.

The difference is that a trip to a supermarket is a necessary journey, allowable under the current restrictions. A trip out to wander around a closed dealership is not necessary as there is a viable option to buy online.
I had an enquiry last week from a chap in North London who wanted to drive to a closed dealership in Newport, South Wales to view a used car. They walk amongst us. I found him a similar one closer to home, the dealer team engaged him with a video call, took payment and delivered the car.
The difference is that a trip to a supermarket is a necessary journey, allowable under the current restrictions. A trip out to wander around a closed dealership is not necessary as there is a viable option to buy online.

True, but the argument is a bit thin as it is also possible to buy online from many supermarkets. SWMBO orders her weekly shop from Sainsbury's, clicks and collects. Many will deliver, tho a slot may be hard to get.

It's only 'the rules', not any practical rationale, which prevents us examining parked cars.

We've been here before with this one, but no one can ask someone else to make what's deemed an unnecessary journey to view a car in a closed to customers dealership.

True, but the argument is a bit thin as it is also possible to buy online from many supermarkets. SWMBO orders her weekly shop from Sainsbury's, clicks and collects. Many will deliver, tho a slot may be hard to get.

It's only 'the rules', not any practical rationale, which prevents us examining parked cars.

That assumes you can find a supermarket which has delivery slots for you. And it assumes that you can afford their minimum order as well as having an internet connection to order from and a debit/credit card you canuse to pay with. There are still many people that can't use online services at all.

That assumes you can find a supermarket which has delivery slots for you. And it assumes that you can afford their minimum order as well as having an internet connection to order from and a debit/credit card you canuse to pay with. There are still many people that can't use online services at all.

We tried Asda's home delivery service when I was seriously ill and couldn't drive - the first time they sent a load of unacceptable alternatives and the second time they sent alternatives when specifically asked not to - we abandoned the idea and dismissed it as an option under Covid restrictions.

I suspect that the exterior of a car is not capable of passing on Covid by simply looking at it.

If I was asked to leave a site when I was doing nothing illegal I would ensure that I never visited there again. Asking potential customers to leave instead of saying something like "if anything interests you please contact us by phone or e-mail" seems pretty extreme to me.

You would tell them they need to leave and say they need to phone/email or check online. A year ago that may have been seen as extreme but now I think that's quite normal and reasonable.

The Future of Car Sales - _
I've not so much as bought a pair of socks since last March, let alone a car. I suppose if one of ours was stolen or something, then we might, but while they're not going very far and not very often, it's about the last thing on our list of things to do.

You're lucky. In short order.

Washing machine. Click and collect. Fitted myself.

Tumble dryer. Delivered to the driveway.

Electric oven. Click and collect. Electrician mate replaced.

iPhone for swmbo click and collect.

Swmbo been busy buying me shirts and socks and a new suit in m&s sales.

As well as 22 kilos of baby clothes for new twins. Those posted off to New mum.

Edited by _ORB_ on 26/01/2021 at 15:55

The Future of Car Sales - sammy1

As nobody is driving anywhere cars are the least of peoples worries. So in the short term things look a bit grim for the industry. This does not seem to be reflected in the asking prices for product in the showroom or on the forecourt.

I was talking to a friend who had just taken his car for an MOT. He had done all of 37miles since the last one! I have not driven mine since Xmas day when the lid was off the lockdown

The Future of Car Sales - _

I somehow have managed over 7000 miles since i got the car last march 3rd.

A fair bit of that was Heathrow trips and dentist in west london avoiding public transport, but still surprised at how it has racked up.

When it was still acceptable to travel...

As nobody is driving anywhere cars are the least of peoples worries. So in the short term things look a bit grim for the industry. This does not seem to be reflected in the asking prices for product in the showroom or on the forecourt.

I was talking to a friend who had just taken his car for an MOT. He had done all of 37miles since the last one! I have not driven mine since Xmas day when the lid was off the lockdown

Still plenty of people having to travel - I do a 52 mile round trip everyday to work

Still plenty of people having to travel - I do a 52 mile round trip everyday to work

We have done about 3000 miles since early November and its all been essential. By the end of February that will fall considerably but it will still be way more than 37 miles a year. In truth 2 trips to Tesco a week are 22 miles, over 1000 miles a year.

The Future of Car Sales - pd

Traffic is heavy in many areas. Maybe not quite as heavy as normal but not quiet.

There is plenty of underlying demand for cars as well but not much supply either new or used so prices are firm.

Traffic is heavy in many areas. Maybe not quite as heavy as normal but not quiet.

Much of it may be in east Kent ?

The Future of Car Sales - Terry W

Most people buying a new or fairly new car probably already have one that is entirely servicable, just a few years older (3-5 years) than the one they are thinking of buying.

Unlike food shopping where a few weeks delay means you could get very hungry, there is no generally no urgency to replace a 3-6 year old car. Only issue may be the end of lease and PCP deals - can they be extended and at what cost.

Already about 30% of car purchases are made without a test drive. Forum members are probably more interested than most in their cars, but for many cars are no different to other white goods (albeit more expensive). Read reviews, search for the spec you want, buy online, get delivered.

It distance selling regs etc protect the consumer, provide options for return if unhappy, I expect the move of car sales to mirror the move online of many other purchases. Large glass palace dealerships will get fewer in number as time passes.

The way things are going, I'm not entirely sure I'll replace any of our cars any time soon. At least temporarily, they aren't being used much, but even if their usage increases again once we're through all this, it seems to me that it might be prudent to just fix them up as required and keep them until the whole EV or other non fossil fuel thing has become more sorted out.

If ( say ) 5 or 7 years down the road, EVs or hydrogen cars are more readily available at sensible prices, if they are available in configurations that work for me ( large estate cars ), and if by then the charging network is significantly improved and charging times vastly reduced, then, my current cars will have become worthless. But, I'll have had relatively cheap transport out of them in the Autumn of their years rather than having shelled out now for cars that will by then be getting close to the end of their shelf life.

I think.

Who knows?

The way things are going, I'm not entirely sure I'll replace any of our cars any time soon.

That's become my attitude too. When we got our present no-1 car 12 years ago I didn't expect to keep it that long, but it has given us no reason to change, and it is just old enough to have no DPF (for example) and has relatively few potentially troublesome components.

While it continues to be reliable I have no wish to get involved with increasingly complex gizmo-ridden newer vehicles. The urge to own a NEW car left me decades ago - in fact the present one is about the youngest I ever had, at 8 months. It may see my time out, as they say ....

Indeed Andrew. Although I rather hope I've got a bit longer to go on the planet than my car ;-) But, everyone in our household says they already have the type and size of car they want and need, and that any replacement would look and do pretty much the same as what they have.

If cars were capable of lasting forever, I'd be more than happy to keep the one I have forever. It's big enough to use as a comfortable van for work. I can get multiple mountain bikes on the roof and the same number of mountain bikers and their kit inside it. It's great for long holiday hauls to the south of France too, and it's really very good on fuel. £125 a year to tax ( at the moment ) and pleasingly cosseting to drive. Of course, it may well need an expensive repair at some point, but even if it does, that's unlikely to be more than the cost of capitalising or the depreciation on a new replacement.

It's a bit like my dog, getting on in years, but I don't want a new one yet.

;-)
The Future of Car Sales - barney100

Bought my last two from a main dealer, both used, without seeing them on the proviso that if there was anything I didn't like I could walk off. Both cars were as described so all was ok. Had the first one 6 years and it was good as gold (SLK 250) and the second is hopefully a keeper (e Class cabriolet).

I can see why you might want to keep the E class cabriolet Barney. I should think it's a very pleasant thing. Have you got around to getting a straw hat to go with it though? It seems to be the sort of car that would deserve to have such an accessory!
;-)
The Future of Car Sales - Avant

As opposed to an E-class estate, where you'd need a trilby.....

As opposed to an E-class estate, where you'd need a trilby.....

That's the hat for driving Jags isn't it? ;-)
The Future of Car Sales - Maxime.

So, What do you drive with a Pork pie hat?

Tricky one that, but maybe a Transit. With the other band members and all the instruments in the back.
The Future of Car Sales - veloceman
The click and collect system seems more popular than I would have thought. Having experienced car supermarket stock a lot has been painted and has dubious Service history.
I know they do the 14 day exchange but you are usually limited to only 50 miles(more than a test drive I guess) and you can only reject one without incurring costs. Also the hassle of cancelling the finance. If you do this you are still left with the searches on your credit history and getting your name off the Reg docs.
Also even tho used prices look high at the moment folk are still getting hammered on their px.
The Future of Car Sales - FP

Nah, they all wear back-to-front baseball caps, innit?

The Future of Car Sales - barney100

Have to cover the bald bonce with something!