Car Theft - Alfafan {P}
Just been browsing the Alfa 155 site and came across this warning. Something to be aware of if you're selling a prestige car.

www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/forsale/warning.htm
Car Theft - Dan J
Sadly people do fall for these things, however unbelievable they may seem...

For those of you who have the time, and I hope there is no issue with the posting of the link, the following makes for excellent reading. Just goes to show how persistent these guys are!

www.craigmcateer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mupesa.htm

Car Theft - Mark (RLBS)
In the spirit of warning people;

There is an e-mail circulating at the moment purporting to be from one of the auction sites/on-line shopping site. - I'm afraid I don't remember which one.

This e-mail says that they are thinking of cancelling your account and if you wish to retain the account you need to supply Name, Address and Credit Card details as they appear in your registration, or if there are changes, then new details as you wish them to appear..

Now I would have thought that nobody would have been stupid enough to reply to this, but given that I narrowly rescued a guy at work from replying, I guess a warning is in order.

Do not, not ever, supply your full name, postal address and *ANY* financial details unless you truly understand who is asking for them, that you *know* why there are asking for them and you have already confirmed the validity of the request and requester. Even then I probably wouldn't do it by e-mail.

If you have already replied to such an e-mail, then I wouldn't admit it due to the embarassment factor, but get your credit card details changed *NOW* !! Whatever excuse you use.
Car Theft - frostbite
There have been emails from a phony eBay site, claiming they have lost your details and please click on the link provided and re-enter.
Car Theft - SteveH42
It's Paypal - I've had warnings sent to addresses that Paypal can't possibly know are mine, so it was obviously a scam, although a very believable one for those without much common sense. I mailed them to report this and suggest they mail-drop their members to warn them. No response so far.... :s

(Hope you don't mind the OT post, feel free to move/delete as appropriate)
Car Theft - volvoman
It's a yet another variation on the age old scam from Nigeria in which you are contacted by some supposedly bent official from the Ministry of Something or Other and he offers to cut you in on a major currency deal. If you supply your bank details they say they'll transfer a large sum of money into it and give you a cut. Sometimes they ask for an advance payment as a gesture of goodwill or to oil some wheels. What they really do is take your money and clear out your account. Such scams are the life blood of many parts of W. Africa - a fact confirmed by my many Nigerian pals back in the 80's. These people are very, very good at it so if you're ever invited to do any business whatsoever with anyone from that part of the world my advice is to walk away and let the police know so they can warn others.
Car Theft - DavidHM
The warning is overblown to a certain extent. The most common method of car theft is not to steal the keys - it's still the usual method of nicking it from a car park late at night.

Of course, if you have a high value car with a superb security system, it may be that certain kinds of criminal can only steal it by getting hold of the keys.

There are various scams out there. One is that someone gives you a cheque for, say, £100k, asking for change - as a 'money laundering' measure. In exchange, you will sell them your car, worth perhaps £8k, for £13k.

You then write them a cheque for £87k plus you give them your car. Of course their cheque bounces and then, at the very least, you have given away your car, if not £87k as well. I doubt many people fall for this one, but it has happened. That is the classic Nigerian scam - I don't want to cast aspersions about all Nigerians here of course, but that does seem to be the major source.

The PayPal/eBay scheme is of course nothing to do with these sites. What happens is that someone puts in a link http://www.ebay.co.uk that makes you think you're going to one site that actually takes you to another, so it's not as obvious as you may think.
Russian's top-Merc Theft - eMBe {P}
How about this as a theft-recovery/deterrent (from today's electronic Daily Telegraph):

>>>> "" City diary
Edited by Simon Goodley (Filed: 01/07/2003)
Stealing a Russian VIP's limo can be bad for your health
Boris Berezovski, the exiled Russian millionaire and sworn enemy of President Putin, had his "high-value VIP Mercedes" limo stolen from an Egham petrol forecourt on Thursday.
Berezovski wasn't with the car at the time, and as soon as he heard he despatched aides to locate it. They failed, so now a spokesman is trying a different tactic. "Whoever has it better be careful about mistaken identity. Boris lives under constant death threats. That would be an extreme punishment for stealing a car."
The thieves must have worked that out for themselves. Since his message the vehicle has been found abandoned. "" <<<<<<