Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Strange noises (and where to find them) - Larches

My Auris had a problem a while back with suspension creaking on cornering. The dealership lubricated the suspension bushes at the last service a few months back and it has cured that noise for now. But very soon after that it developed a new noise - an intermitted rattle / knocking noise from somewhere underneath (sounds muffled and is a bit hard to pinpoint). No idea whether it's related to the previous issue or not, and it only occurs very briefly (a few seconds) maybe once or twice in a journey, but I'm not happy just ignoring it. I'm assuming it's probably something suspension-related and needs to go up on a ramp and be properly inspected (by someone who knows what they're doing :).

Unfortunately the car's warranty expired just when that last service was done, so... any views on what a reasonable charge would be for investigating this kind of problem, and maybe tightening up X or Y as required? All the dealership can tell me is that their labour charge is £78/hr but of course we've no idea how long it will take to diagnose or fix. I'm currently in two minds over whether to let them work on it or just take it to a local independent... there's a good one not far away, going by recommendations, but to be fair the Toyota dealership has generally been pretty good too, and they don't charge for a loan car. One local place has quoted £72/hr (incl VAT) plus £5 for loan car (which seems perfectly reasonable) but who knows how the actual repair costs might compare, so interested to get views if anyone can offer them.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Strange noises (and where to find them) - Steveieb
If it's due an MOT then this will pick up any potential suspension problems and a lot less than an hours labour
Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Strange noises (and where to find them) - Steveieb
Or join the Toyota Owners Club and post a request for advice on the Auris Forum. There are some brilliant contributors on the site who are passionate about their marque
Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Strange noises (and where to find them) - Andrew-T

Exhaust ?

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Strange noises (and where to find them) - edlithgow

I'd bet money that on an intermittent noise like this they won't find anything.

I wouldn't bet 72 quid an hour for an unknown number of hours though.

Suppose its a bit of baffle inside the exhaust? Might never do it again.

Edited by edlithgow on 30/11/2020 at 02:03

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Strange noises (and where to find them) - Bolt

Or could be anti roll bar (if it has one) possible drop link, had a knock on one car took ages to find as the knock only happened on certain pot holes or humps. just a thought?