any - Electric - HGV ~ P Valentine

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/electric-family-cars-are-cheaper-to-own-than-petrol-and-diesel-models-lower-maintenance-and-charging-costs-mean-they-are-132-a-month-less-expensive-in-the-long-run-says-study/ar-BB19Mxg4?ocid=msedgntp

I noticed in this report they did not include the cost of having to replace the battery pack ( several thousand pounds ), or the cost of having to get a charging point installed at home ( about £ 300 after you have claimed back money from the gov ), if you cant afford the 6/7 hour wait in the services to charge it up should you run out of juice, or the B&B if the charge takes linger and you do not want to sleep in the car while it is charging.

any - Electric - HGV ~ P Valentine

The typical cost of a home charge point is around £800.

Under its Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme, OLEV currently offers a grant of up to 75% of this cost, capped at a maximum grant of £350.

If you own or have primary access to an EV and off-street parking you may be eligible for an OLEV funded grant towards the cost of a home charge point.

And let us not forget the cost of the electric if you charge at home, And it only tells us you Maybe able to claim, not you def can.

any - Electric - daveyjp

The 'whataboutery'' questions raised about electric vehicles have all been covered in many many other threads.

any - Electric - S40 Man

I may be being pessimistic but how long before government finds a way to tax electric vehicles more? For sound green reasons they currently pay very little tax, obviously no fuel duty and often road tax free too.

Any change in tax will change this affordability equation.

At the Tory conference the chancellor did hint at increased taxes, could electric cars be on the list?

any - Electric - John F

This must be EV propaganda. How on earth did they arrive at a figure of £837pcm (£10044 per annum) for an EV and £969 (£11628) for a petrol car?

A year ago we bought a brand new Peugeot 2008 1.2 EAT6 Allure Premium for £17000 - 'on the road inc. a year's tax'. I have no idea what an equivalent EV would have cost but I would lay odds that it would have been at least £5000 more expensive. We have done about 5000 miles at a petrol cost of 13p per mile. From what I have read, an EV would have cost around 4p per mile. So it has cost me an additional 9p per mile, £450, leading me to think I would need to run it for around ten years before it would 'cost' more than an EV. EVs might well make sense for a high miler with cheap or free (old Teslas) charging, but not for the mass of low mileage retirees.

any - Electric - S40 Man

That figure was for mid sized cars, where they compared electr IC card to BMW 3 and Audi A4. Both these can be expensive when new. Obviously if you buy an expensive car it will cost a lot over a few years. The report said that electrics have good residuals which will help reduce ownership cost and also monthly lease costs.

On small cars - "The report claimed that smaller battery-powered cars - like the Nissan Leaf - remained more expensive than their fossil fuel counterparts due to their much higher purchase price." Looks like you were right about that but then.

any - Electric - conman

Why do you think that the government are pushing smart meters. It will realise when you are charging your car and most probably put you on a dearer tariff. Only too familiar, remember buy a diesel and save the planet. As soon as they are losing money they will remember that 40% of our electricity is produced by Power stations fueled by gas or wood chippings.

any - Electric - Andrew-T

Only too familiar, remember buy a diesel and save the planet.

That was not a devious act by government, just a failure to think ahead and consider the possible downside. You could apply the same argument to leaded petrol. At least diesel cars consume less fuel, which was the point behind the diesel push. EVs are meant to keep urban areas cleaner by generating electricity somewhere else, but no-one really cares how or where the mammoth batteries are made - not our problem (except perhaps financially).

any - Electric - galileo

Only too familiar, remember buy a diesel and save the planet.

That was not a devious act by government, just a failure to think ahead and consider the possible downside.

Many years experience leads me to believe that governments (of all parties) are not clever enough to be devious or clever enough to consider the possible (or even likely) consequences of their decisions.

Short term benefit to their personal wealth/security of tenure/electoral popularity is the main driver of activity in national and local government, in my belief.

(I could be mistaken, of course!)

any - Electric - mcb100
The reason they didn’t mention the cost of replacing battery packs is that they don’t need replacing. Much like most internal combustion engines, they’ll outlive the rest of the car, then go off to be recycled or repurposed.
any - Electric - RT
The reason they didn’t mention the cost of replacing battery packs is that they don’t need replacing. Much like most internal combustion engines, they’ll outlive the rest of the car, then go off to be recycled or repurposed.

Agreed

any - Electric - John F

Are you sure? The average scrappage age of a car is about 14 years. What percentage of batteries will be performing satisfactorily at this age? For those of us who care for their cars to avoid depreciation costs, (my son's inherited Focus is 20, my TR7 is 40) we need some robust information on battery longevity before we go EV.

PS Avant, should this thread be moved to 'Discussion'?

any - Electric - RT

PS Avant, should this thread be moved to 'Discussion'?

Why? It's a technical topic to do with cars!

any - Electric - Peter.N.

Electric cars are ideal as a second vehicle or if you don't do many miles, battery life is very good now and even Tesla reckon that they will last the life of the car. If you charge on off peak from a 13a plug - no installation needed you will get about 3kw per hour, that's 21 kw for the off peak period that should give you around 50-60 miles at around 3p per mile plenty enough for many people.

If you do a lot of long journeys electric vehicles are not ideal although in the course of time battery capacity will become greater and cheaper. Fast chargers are OK for cars that already do a good mileage, you can charge them while you have a coffee or your lunch but charging is likely to be much more expensive than charging at home.

any - Electric - Engineer Andy

Electric cars are ideal as a second vehicle or if you don't do many miles, battery life is very good now and even Tesla reckon that they will last the life of the car. If you charge on off peak from a 13a plug - no installation needed you will get about 3kw per hour, that's 21 kw for the off peak period that should give you around 50-60 miles at around 3p per mile plenty enough for many people.

If you do a lot of long journeys electric vehicles are not ideal although in the course of time battery capacity will become greater and cheaper. Fast chargers are OK for cars that already do a good mileage, you can charge them while you have a coffee or your lunch but charging is likely to be much more expensive than charging at home.

How is paying £40k+ great for people who do low annual mileages? Far better to buy a 2-3yo petrol-only car which will be FAR cheaper over its lifespan. And you don't need to carefully plan your journeys for that occasional longer one in order to ensure you don't run out of juice or pay to install a home charger

To justify the much higher purchase price of an EV over a petrol car, you have to do a decent mileage. If money is no object, that's a different story.

any - Electric - madf

It's an easy decision.

Become an early adopter, pay a fortune and get a car which will become obsolescent and unwanted when new ones become better.

Or do nothing and use an ICE till electrics improve..