Ford Focus TDDI misfire - richardb
I have a Focus 1.8 TDDI which has developed an intermittant misfire. Its as if fuel has suddenly stopped getting to the engine for a brief second.

The problem is that it may only do it once throughout the entire day. (the problem occurred 4 days ago.)

It seems that it is more likely to do it when accelerating. It does it when the engine is hot or cold but has never done it when just idling.

I have checked the fuel pipes incase it could be an air leak and changed the fuel filter. I am now waiting for the fuel tank to run low incase it is contaminated fuel which I purchased from a different forecourt to my usual, as I was on holiday at the time.

If replacing the fuel does not solve the problem then I can only think that it is a problem with one of the sensors to the ECU or the ECU itself.

Has anyone else had this type of problem or could throw some light onto what the cause my be. Thanks.
Ford Focus TDDI misfire - David Lacey
How old is the car? Think this one is best for a Dealership to look at.

Any warning lights coming on? Any loss of performance?
Ford Focus TDDI misfire - TB
My Focus (1999 1.4 Zetec) as also just developed the same problem. Usually more noticable at higher speeds. The problem seems to have started when I had the speed sensor replaced on the gearbox. Just waiting for a chance to return to the dealer as I am putting it down to a faulty sensor.
Ford Focus TDDI misfire - TB
I have just read on a Focus site that the ECU can be reset by taking out the fuse and putting it back in. Is this correct???
Ford Focus TDDI misfire - richardb
I ran the fuel tank down to nearly empty and then refilled it. My car has now been running for a week without any misfire. I can only assume that I must have filled up with some contaminated diesel. I would have thought that in this day and age that well established forecourts would be able to store their fuel without it getting contaminated. Thanks to everyone who suggested an answer to what the problem may have been.