Speed limits for cyclists? - FoxyJukebox

I am getting fed up with cyclists peddling as fast or even faster than cars. For a motorist trying to overtake a fast cyclist, this is often no joke ,especially in rural areas where some easily exceed 30 or even 40mph with their erratic sports peddling. It's also seriously dangerous when they zoom silently through villages and hamlets having little or no regard to residential pedestrians, school /playground entrances etc. At least speeding cyclists in towns and cities are sometimes reined in by limits such as speed cameras, traffic lights, crossings or dedicated cycle paths.

In London boroughs the 20mph limits help a little as long as motorists are constantly on the look out for the death defying undertaking racer....

If it was me I would apply a national cycling speed limit -say 20mph max for out of town racers and 15mph max for city zones. It's not going to happen is it?

Speed limits for cyclists? - Brit_in_Germany

As likely as imposing an out-of-town 20 mph limit on cars.

Speed limits for cyclists? - _

A few years back in London, I witnessed a cyclist "undertaking" a line of cars, and quickly at that.. He came a cropper when one car which was signalling turned left. the crash didn't hurt too much, it was the impact with a streetlight that broke his leg. Was he contrite?

I gave my name and number to the driver and the Police and ambulance people but never heard any more about it.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/08/2020 at 12:37

Speed limits for cyclists? - Bromptonaut

A few years back in London, I witnessed a cyclist "undertaking" a line of cars, and quickly at that.. He came a cropper when one car which was signalling turned left. the crash didn't hurt too much, it was the impact with a streetlight that broke his leg. Was he contrite?

Which is why the sensible urban cyclist moving at pace passes traffic on the offside where the motor vehicle's driver expects overtakers to be. Nearside requires extreme caution. I've lost count number of occasions while passing in such a manner I've had people bail from cars/taxis without a thought.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Trilogy.

It's not going to happen is it?

You've answered your own question.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Engineer Andy

Pointless having speed limits for cyclists on roads other than those for other road users. Much better for (as with road traffic generally) better education of cyclists (especially at a young age when learning to ride) and enforcement of good and considerate cycling, as described in the Highway Code, traffic laws, etc.

Speed limits for cyclists? - gordonbennet

There will be a few fatals and then something will be done, knowing our govt yet more laws making the motorist responsible for preventing suicidal cyclists from themselves.

Chap on an electric bike, plus pedalling furiously came flying past the traffic starting to bunch for a right turn ahead, we were doing say 20 to 25mph and he came past us easily and in complete silence, must have gone straight over the mini roundabout behind at 30mph plus, which is no problem as such but he was weaving through in spaces that just weren't suitable given no one would see or hear is approach, i should add there was a compulsory cycle pavement beside the road but he was travelling far too fast to be sharing that with pedestrians.

He's a soon to be statistic, unfortunately some poor innocent motorist will get the blame when it happens changing their life forever, arguably that's better than someone on the pavement being maimed or worse by the twerp, the motorist being likely to have insurance.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/08/2020 at 13:03

Speed limits for cyclists? - bathtub tom
there was a compulsory cycle pavement beside the road

I never knew such things existed.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Zippy123

None that I know of and there is no compulsion to use cycle lanes either which is a good thing as the state of many are likely to cause more accidents.
Speed limits for cyclists? - RT

There are some Special Roads, a legal classification below Motorway, where non-motorised users are banned so provision is made alongside.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Andrew-T

He's a soon to be statistic, unfortunately some poor innocent motorist will get the blame when it happens changing their life forever,

That's roughly what can be said about motorbikers - although they can go twice as fast, at least they give more audible warning of approach.

But if you don't like stealthy overtaking, better get used to EV's, which might do more third-party damage than a high-speed pushbike.

He's a soon to be statistic, unfortunately some poor innocent motorist will get the blame when it happens changing their life forever, arguably that's better than someone on the pavement being maimed or worse by the twerp, the motorist being likely to have insurance.

MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOEUVRE!

Not listen and hope you’ll hear something approaching!

If you see something in you mirror don’t do the manoeuvre it’s simple as that!

Edited by Zippy123 on 10/08/2020 at 16:01

Speed limits for cyclists? - gordonbennet

''MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOEUVRE!''

why didn't i think of that

No one could see said half wit in any mirror he camer through at breakneck speed swooping through cars switching from overtake to undertake though gaps that didn't exist at the speed differential, demented.

But thanks for reminding me no matter how half witted the future suicide there would be one ready to point the finger at anyone bar the one responsible for their future demise, well done.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Terry W

Police are either disinclined or under-resouced as minor offences are routinely ignored.

Cars have to have a big badge fron and back so that cameras and automated systems can issue fines. Bikes presently have nothing - and I see little prospect of enforcement even if the law changed.

So I think there are a few limited things which could change behaviours, as when car and cyclist collide the former may be scratched and the latter seriously injured or dead.

• Motoring organisations to fund a communications exercise - adverts, press, etc - to make cyclists more aware of the dangers.
  • Schools to include some road safety training
  • Fit dash cams - post footage of cyclist stupidity on line, use footage if collision to prove who is at fault
  • Damage to pedestrians as a result of "riding wthout due care and attention" should be pursued as would similar damage if caused by a motorist.

I have no desire to squash a cyclist - many ride thoughfully and sensibly. But a significant proportion behave on the arrogant basis that:

• I am green and therefore righteous
  • I do not have to follow the highway code
  • I have a divine right to ride how, where and when I want

A few years ago in Cambridge a cyclist (most likely a uni student) had a go at me for suddenly stopping. He complained because he'd nearly ridden into the back of my car. Obviously he'd never driven a car.

Until there's a level playing field for tracing cyclists and motorists the former will always have the upper hand.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Gerry Sanderson

Adding to Terry W ^^^^^^^^^

They all should wear a conspicuous jackets.

Notice since Covo the increase of head down a*** up riders with varioua tops - mainly dark - on fast country roadsand because of their apparel from a disatance they tend to blend in with the greyness of the road and background of boundary hedges etc. Sorry but a b***** nuisance.

....and no I dont need Specsavers.

Tax them

dvd

Speed limits for cyclists? - Moodyman

Are you not contradicting yourself?

You want conspicuous jackets and yet, you saw everyone one of the black wearing cyclists that have their heads down and a***s up.

Tax them? How for what?

Speed limits for cyclists? - badbusdriver

I am getting fed up with cyclists peddling as fast or even faster than cars.

Why?

For a motorist trying to overtake a fast cyclist, this is often no joke ,especially in rural areas where some easily exceed 30 or even 40mph with their erratic sports peddling.

If the cyclst is doing the speed limit, or above, why do you need to overtake?. And if you are unable to safely overtake a cyclist on a rural road because of how fast they are going then surely your speed is being dictated as much by the road than the cyclist. That is to say, going much, if any, faster than the cyclist, wouldn't be sensible or safe for the road. I also find it very difficult to believe you'd regularly encounter a road that you were not able to overtake a cyclist after a couple of mins at most. And what exactly is "erratic sports peddling"?.

It's also seriously dangerous when they zoom silently through villages and hamlets having little or no regard to residential pedestrians, school /playground entrances etc.

Anybody 'zooming' though villages and hamlets is dangerous regardless of which form of transport and how much, if any, noise they are making. And i suspect a pedestrian mown down by a silent electric car is going to suffer considerably more injuries than were they struck by an errant (silent) cyclist.

If it was me I would apply a national cycling speed limit -say 20mph max for out of town racers and 15mph max for city zones.

Who do you envisage would enforce this?. Perhaps more importantly, who would pay for this to be enforced?. Would you, for example, be happy to pay extra tax to do this?.

Finally, as you clearly believe cyclist are the biggest danger to pedestrians, i'd like to see figures which show cyclists cause more injuries to pedestrian than motorised vehicles.

BTW, electric bicycles, (by law) can only provide assistance up to 15.5mph. Beyond that, you are on your own. Unless you have built your own E-Bike, or have tampered with the electronics governing the limiter.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Big John

One minor issue - cycles don't have speedometers

Just been out to the shops,

Nearly got an Electric scooter rider who came out of the retail park downhill through the exit. got a wave and a wry smile.. No helmet and i didn't know that colchester was in the "Trials" for e-scooters. Turned left 50 yards later and a young teen, headphones on stepped off the pavement without looking and gently ambled diagonally away from me.. missed him too!

Darwin theory is still working.

Yes, I have it on dashcam!

Did it have a registration number?

Just been out to the shops,

Nearly got an Electric scooter rider who came out of the retail park downhill through the exit. got a wave and a wry smile.. No helmet and i didn't know that colchester was in the "Trials" for e-scooters. Turned left 50 yards later and a young teen, headphones on stepped off the pavement without looking and gently ambled diagonally away from me.. missed him too!

Darwin theory is still working.

Yes, I have it on dashcam!

Rule 170 of the Highway Code advises that if a pedestrian has already started to cross the side road into which you're turning from a main road, you must give way to them.

Rule 170 of the Highway Code advises that if a pedestrian has already started to cross the side road into which you're turning from a main road, you must give way to them.

Isn't there a rule for pesestrians to stop look listen?

He wasn't looking, I was and stopped, didn't toot. etc waited patiently... I don't mind, I try to drive cautiously but...

If it has been someone else not paying attention he'd have been dead or injured, why not look at which way the traffic is coming from?

Headphones on, listening to music (or something) paying no attention to surroundings.

As for the e-scooterist, ... illegal scooter, no insurance cover, probably, but should I care, I missed.

At least i got the wry smile when I slowed and stopped.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/08/2020 at 16:22

Speed limits for cyclists? - Sparrow

Speaking as a motorist who is also a cyclist, I am appalled at the behaviour of some cyclists when I am driving. I am also appalled at the driving of some motorists when I am cycling, and also when I am a pedestrian. It helps understand other road users if you are the other road user sometimes. Some cyclists do indeed cycle in a self righteous manner, and some drivers drive much too fast along narrow roads when a slight false move or grit on the road can all too easily result in death or serious injury. Of course we need more cycle tracks, our network here is rubbish compared to many European countries, such as Denmark, Germany and Holland, to name three that I have both driven and cycled in. I felt much safer in those countries mainly because cyclists, even when on the road, are treated with much more respect by drivers. I don't know why this is. In Germany we were the rarity whi wore cycle helmets, but I think their system is inherently safer for cyclists, keep them separate much more than we do, and clearly mark where the cyclist goes next. Our councils could learn a lot for sure. Signage here is patchy and often just stops, and through routes have gaos with no info on where to go. Education is a big part of the answer, including educating cyclists not to drop their empty glucose gel packets everywhere they go.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Sofa Spud

Speed limits apply to cyclists already. They can easily reach 20 mph or 30 mph and possibly 40 mph or more going downhill (if they're mad!).

Anyway, if it's not safe to overtake a cyclist, be patient, stay behind them and be thankful that at least they're saving on congestion, pollution and more particularly on parking problems. Unless they've brought their bike on a Range Rover that's parked in the town centre, that is!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/08/2020 at 15:23

Speed limits for cyclists? - nellyjak

As ever...irrelevant of the mode of transport...there are good..and bad.

I'm a cyclist..and an E-cyclist to boot.!...and I believe I'm just as careful, respectful and capable as when I'm driving my MPV...and obey the laws.

I'm sure the only true answer is..separation.!!..and until we get that (unlikely) then the "differences" will continue to be vented.

A friend of mine did the world cycle thing. France, Belgium, Germany, down the Adriatic coast then across to some of the “stan” countries and Mongolia and India (not necessarily in that order).

Then flew to Australia, New Zealand and Chile and up through South America and on to Cuba.

Final stretches included the USA and Canada, then home to the UK where he was knocked off his bike by a car pulling out of a side road. Driver then claimed it was his fault as he wasn’t paying road tax ffs.

In USA and Australia he also had trouble with idiots on big UTE type cars thinking it’s funny to try and run a cyclist off the road.

The only other country he had trouble in was India and that was theft not cycle related.

In the northern “stans” he was very much a curiosity and when looking to pitch his tent for the night found himself invited to a dinner and in one village asked to stay an extra day to talk to the school children In the local school about his journey!

In some parts of South America the local cycle clubs would often join up for a short leg. He felt very at home and welcome in Cuba.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Metropolis.
“He felt very welcome and at home in Cuba”

I have always said cyclists are more likely to be communists (or Lib Dems), I rest my case.

Another point, cyclists are horrendous for the environment (if we for arguments sake say globalist warming is a real thing) the traffic caused by cyclists getting in the way of cars on country lanes, making cars travel on those narrow roads at very inefficient speeds, the extra pollution must be quite significant.

The absolute worst are the cyclists that go side by side on country roads. It is an accident waiting to happen. Should rename them cyclopaths given how angry they get if a motorist dare criticise or beep to alert them of the 2.5 ton car approaching (if they are side by side). They should be charged road tax and the proceeds used to offset fuel duty, but now I am fantasising!
Cuba

Don’t be ridiculous. It’s a poor country with few cars. People were friendly. Politics didn’t come in to it and anyway my mates a far more right than left wing.

Road tax

Road tax was abolished in 1937. Get with the program!

One minor issue - cycles don't have speedometers

I've got one - not one of those fancy-pants digital doo-dahs with a GPS or even the next grade down with the metal disc on the wheel and a sensor (counting how many revolutions it make) with a digital display - nope, two - a honest good ol' dynamo type one with a rotating cable linked to a physical speedo, which flies off the wheel when you get up to 40mph, and another similar one that rotates about the wheel spindle but is a pain to attach to the frame.

The both look 'cool' even if the are old school. They even have a trip meter / odometer.. When I was a yoof (when I bought them), I also thought it was amazing that I could get up to 50mph caning it down a local hill. Not so sensible, looking back on it.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 10/08/2020 at 18:03

It is perfectly legal for cyclists to ride two abreast...but never more than that,

They should ride in SINGLE file IF the road is narrow or around bends.

When overtaking a cyclist (or a horse) a car driver must overtake as if he/she was overtaking another car ...it's the highway code.!!

Speed limits for cyclists? - badbusdriver

I've got one - not one of those fancy-pants digital doo-dahs with a GPS or even the next grade down with the metal disc on the wheel and a sensor (counting how many revolutions it make) with a digital display - nope, two - a honest good ol' dynamo type one with a rotating cable linked to a physical speedo, which flies off the wheel when you get up to 40mph, and another similar one that rotates about the wheel spindle but is a pain to attach to the frame.

A friend in the village we lived when i was a child (this would have been early 80's) had a Raleigh Grifter(!) which had a speedometer. First time i'd ever seen one on a bike. Don't think it was accurate though, when i had a go i saw 45mph, on the flat!. For those who don't know, the Grifter was a BMX 'style' bike, it was very heavy and had a 3 speed hub gear (most likely Sturmey Archer).

By comparison, when i cycled regular about 15 years ago i had a semi sporting hybrid bike with 700c wheels. Fastest i ever saw on the computer (metal disc + sensor) was 43mph going down a steep hill.

But those pro's on the likes of the TDF will be doing 60mph, maybe more, going downhill on some of the mountain sections!.

Speed limits for cyclists? - mlj2
This thread, or one very much like it, appears on the forum about every six months. I shall get my bike out tomorrow as a result. Just for the entertainment of all the colonel Blimps on this thread.

Written with an intended sense of humour combined with a plea for some tolerance; something that has seemingly disappeared these days.

Edited by mlj2 on 10/08/2020 at 19:08

Speed limits for cyclists? - galileo

No legislation or regulation affecting cyclists is worth the paper it is written on until cyclists are required to have visible means of identifying them and third party insurance.

If they want equal rights to use the roads they should also have the same obligations as other vehicle users. We have had instances on this forum of cyclists damaging cars or failing to respect pedestrians and ride away knowing they are untraceable.

I don't expect any support for this from cyclists, and as Boris is one, that means it won't happen.

I'm tempted to revive the Motorists Liberation Front (run in Peter Simple's \Telegraph column years ago by J Bonington Jagworth.)

Edited by galileo on 10/08/2020 at 19:30

I'm tempted to revive the Motorists Liberation Front (run in Peter Simple's \Telegraph column years ago by J Bonington Jagworth.)

Where do I join?

ORB

. When I was a yoof (when I bought them), I also thought it was amazing that I could get up to 50mph caning it down a local hill. Not so sensible, looking back on it.

=====================================

My cousin Billy,when he was about 16 rode down a long steep hill without brakes, and to slow down, foolishly stuck his foot into the front wheel, OOOPS. one broken leg and numerous contusions later...

Speed limits for cyclists? - Sparrow

When I was a yoof very few people had cars but everybody had a bicycle. They would pour out of Pressed Steel (made bodies for British Leyland cars) occupying the whole road. Wo betide anyone who wanted to go in the opposite direction. It was like the River Thames in flood. I guess that was greener than we are today.

I really do think the attitude to some drivers re cyclists is criminal.

Two people / family friends and acquaintances have been killed by motorists in less than a year.

First a postman heading home from work. Killed by a drug driver in a transit. Hit from behind. He was lit up like a Christmas tree and still not seen.

Secondly a police inspector hit head on by an oncoming van on the wrong side of the road. Still not found the driver. Witnesses confirm the driver was all over the road so probably drunk.

Then you get idiots like this:

https://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/i-knocked-a-cyclist-off-his-bike-i-have-right-of-way-he-doesnt-even-pay-road-tax/

Zippy123, that's why I won't ride a bike on a road.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Avant

"This thread, or one very much like it, appears on the forum about every six months."

Indeed it does, and I can't think why. It's never interesting.

Sadly there are careless and dangerous drivers, and careless and dangerous cyclists. But the great majority of both - of road users in general - are sensible and considerate. Let's just leave it at that.

The only thing I'd say to cyclists is - if you're waiting at a road junction, and a lorry pulls up beside you, watch out. The driver probably can't see you, and may be about to turn left. So look and see if he's signalling.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Mike Lyons

The only thing I'd say to cyclists is - if you're waiting at a road junction, and a lorry pulls up beside you, watch out. The driver probably can't see you, and may be about to turn left. So look and see if he's signalling"

Surely if the lorry pulls up alongside the bike, it's the lorry driver's responsibility to be aware of the cyclist who was already present. If the driver 'can't see you' or is distracted by their phone/something else , then they are not fit to drive

Your point is however valid & a vulnerable road user owes it to themselves to take every precaution .

When the bike arrives AFTER the lorry, definitely assume you haven't been seen & act accordingly.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Chrome

A good cyclist will produce say 0.5bhp. This is clearly far below the output of motorised vehicles. If you are unable to confidently pass cyclists safely then either hang back until you can or perhaps seek driver training to improve your driving skills. I agree that it is frustrating to be caught up behind slower traffic which must also include agricultural and heavy goods vehicles but more often than not the delays / time 'lost' can be measures in minutes.

Speed limits for cyclists? - sammy1

If cyclists have no speedos how can they tell how fast they are travelling. Unless downhill you have to be pretty fit to exceed 30mph on a sustained basis. When cyclists are travelling in the same direction as you, you just have to be patient.

Speeding cyclists mixing with pedestrians is totally different. Riding a bike on the pavement has been against the law almost since the penny f***hing. If a bike with say a 12 stone rider hits a child or adult you need not guess who comes of worse. Yet cyclists in todays world are actively allowed to ride in pedestrian areas. At the very least cyclists should have insurance.

Speed limits for cyclists? - alan1302
Speeding cyclists mixing with pedestrians is totally different. Riding a bike on the pavement has been against the law almost since the penny f***hing. If a bike with say a 12 stone rider hits a child or adult you need not guess who comes of worse. Yet cyclists in todays world are actively allowed to ride in pedestrian areas. At the very least cyclists should have insurance.

So someone is encouraging cyclists to rise illegally?

So someone is encouraging cyclists to rise illegally

Well, yes. Sustrans, a nationwide system of designated cycle paths in tandem with local councils has routes that both cyclists and pedestrians are encouraged to use which in my opinion are dangerous to pedestrians. The idea I believe is that families will poodle along with their little ones on their bikes. The reality is that ride many these trails at excess speed and the proof can be seen on STRAVA which is a GPS site which allows the user to monitor distance and speed. It even records the record speed for such journeys. The spell checker is a bit sensitive as it will not recognise penny far thing!

Cycles are here to stay. They have been here longer than motor vehicles and are likely to outlast cars.

You really should of got used to them by now.

So someone is encouraging cyclists to rise illegally

Well, yes. Sustrans, a nationwide system of designated cycle paths in tandem with local councils has routes that both cyclists and pedestrians are encouraged to use which in my opinion are dangerous to pedestrians. The idea I believe is that families will poodle along with their little ones on their bikes. The reality is that ride many these trails at excess speed and the proof can be seen on STRAVA which is a GPS site which allows the user to monitor distance and speed. It even records the record speed for such journeys. The spell checker is a bit sensitive as it will not recognise penny far thing!

So no one is encouraging illegal riding. Cycle paths like that are for pedestrians and cyclists so not illegal at all.

You not liking it does not make it illegal.

Pedestrians walk along the side of a lot of roads especially small country lanes without issue and that's with cars/vans & trucks going past so don't think there is an issue with cyclists and pedestrians using a dedicated path together.

Looking at a few isolated examples showing people not riding with due care and attention does not mean the majority are doing anything wrong. We should be encouraging people getting out on their bikes.

So no one is encouraging illegal riding. Cycle paths like that are for pedestrians and cyclists so not illegal at all.

Where I love in Wales the cycle route Sustrans 47 crosses a number of pavements which is technically illegal if the cyclists do not dismount which of course they do not or indeed give way to pedestrians. It is largely the case I am on my bike so get out of the way. Most do not have bells and ride up behind pedestrians without warning. Children are particularly vulnerable. The same cycle route is now plagued by speeding electric bikes driven by the more elderly and over weight. We now have the illegal electric scooters driven by anyone who can afford one. This mixing of pedestrians and bikes is not progress. it is dangerous and was first recognised when riding in the pavement was made illegal. There are reports almost daily of pedestrians killed or injured on roads without pavements

Speed limits for cyclists? - Avant

"So someone is encouraging cyclists to rise illegally...."

"Where I love in Wales...."

What a splendidly romantic picture of Welsh bliss. First a penny-f a r t h i n g, now a tandem.

:)

Edited by Avant on 11/08/2020 at 23:19

Speed limits for cyclists? - Ethan Edwards

Speed limits for cyclists.......anyone given a thought to ebikes? Ebay has many kits for a few hundred quid. Some up to 1500w which is sufficient (with suitable battery) to easily hit 40mph. Like I said readily available. Illegal but how often do you see the Police ? I believe 250w is legal gives about 15mph. I was driving in Sarfend over the weekend. I missed the announcement but it was leap in front of the oncoming car day. Seriously it was hellish. Imagine how much worse it will be with lots of high powered cyclists whizzing about.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Mike Lyons

... There are reports almost daily of pedestrians killed or injured on roads without pavements

But not by Cyclists

Cyclists are involved in 2-3 pedestrian deaths per year including those caused by pedestrians where cyclist is not at fault - there's also @ 1 cyclist death per year caused by pedestrians (e.g. jumping out in front)

Motorised vehicles kill @ 450 per year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-provisional-results-2019

You might think you see regular reports of cyclists causing injury, but the opposite is true

<< Pedestrians walk along the side of a lot of roads especially small country lanes without issue and that's with cars/vans & trucks going past so don't think there is an issue with cyclists and pedestrians using a dedicated path together. >>

From a motorist's angle, walkers on 'small country lanes' are fairly rare, but usually behave predictably, walking in single file. Cyclists (of which the more sensible ones may avoid such lanes) travel faster and can be less predictable, and some like to ride abreast causing much aggravation. Not many walkers would risk that, so why do cyclists?

<< Pedestrians walk along the side of a lot of roads especially small country lanes without issue and that's with cars/vans & trucks going past so don't think there is an issue with cyclists and pedestrians using a dedicated path together. >>

From a motorist's angle, walkers on 'small country lanes' are fairly rare, but usually behave predictably, walking in single file. Cyclists (of which the more sensible ones may avoid such lanes) travel faster and can be less predictable, and some like to ride abreast causing much aggravation. Not many walkers would risk that, so why do cyclists?

1) Cars that hit pedestrians can be identified, drivers prosecuted and sued for damages (which their insurers have the resources to pay)

2) Cyclists can not be identified and traced, even if they are, they may well not have resources to pay compensation for injuries even if ordered, except at £10 a month).

I don't expect some people to ever accept these facts, or perhaps they do but choose to take a contrary position for fun.

<< 1) Cars that hit pedestrians can be identified, drivers prosecuted and sued for damages (which their insurers have the resources to pay)

2) Cyclists can not be identified and traced, even if they are, they may well not have resources to pay compensation for injuries even if ordered, except at £10 a month). >>

Galileo, I don't see the relevance of your (obvious) points 1 and 2 to my post, where I was comparing cyclists with walkers from a motorist's viewpoint. Cyclists have always been seen as pedestrians with wheels, powered only by their own legs. Some of them travel faster than they should, and some enjoy over-entitlement to road space - as (it is only fair to add) do quite a few motorbikers who claim to do it for safety reasons. But at least they don't usually ride abreast.

1) Cars that hit pedestrians can be identified, drivers prosecuted and sued for damages (which their insurers have the resources to pay)

2) Cyclists can not be identified and traced, even if they are, they may well not have resources to pay compensation for injuries even if ordered, except at £10 a month).

I don't expect some people to ever accept these facts, or perhaps they do but choose to take a contrary position for fun.

Neither of those are incontrovertible facts. Any number of unsolved hit/run accidents in a year with consequences from minor to death. The Motor Insurers Bureau keeps itself pretty busy dealing with uninsured drivers too.

A cyclist causing significant injuries is unlikely to be in a position to run. Many will be insured for third party risks by membership of groups like British Cycling or Cycling UK (was CTC) or via a household policy.

Speed limits for cyclists? - bathtub tom

A cyclist causing significant injuries is unlikely to be in a position to run. Many will be insured for third party risks by membership of groups like British Cycling or Cycling UK (was CTC) or via a household policy.

IIRC one killer wasn't. He had a fixed back wheel and no front brake - indefensible!

IIRC one killer wasn't. He had a fixed back wheel and no front brake - indefensible!

There's always one.....

He didn't/couldn't run anywhere and was convicted of an offence. Even before the distraction of smartphones you needed good brakes and 100% focus on the task to ride safely in central London.

I know of cyclists in Cambridge who have damaged cars. If you're lucky they'll say 'Sorry mate' and then cycle off. No way of tracing them, until there's a way of identifying cyclists there's always going to be a degree of friction.

As for cycle paths, I know of cyclists who won't use them and would rather be on a road instead.

As for cycle paths, I know of cyclists who won't use them and would rather be on a road instead.

Given the state of some 'cycle paths', their extended routing and dangerous crossing of slip roads it's not surprising some cyclists prefer to ignore. There are certainly places I'd rather use the road.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Manatee

Facts or not your point? is a red herring, and I certainly do not take a contrary position for fun. Cyclists have a similar risk to pedestrians of being killed or seriously injured. The likelihood of being killed or injured by a cyclist is vanishingly small, regardless of who is to blame.

I am sickened by the ignorance and the amount of hate directed at people on bikes. Of course there are rude or careless ones but I guarantee that they are a lot more careful than drivers on average - they have to be.

Of course cyclists ride out, or ride abreast. Only a fool rides in the gutter or otherwise encourages an overtake on the approach to a blind bend. Many drivers treat cycles as taking up no room at all and they will overtake them in such circumstances or with inches of clearance and 20 or 30 mph speed difference in the face of oncoming traffic.

Around 100 cyclists and 400 pedestrians are killed by motor vehicles each year.

There is no more need for regulation and licensing of cyclists than there is for pedestrians, with whom cyclists have a lot more in common than they do with drivers.

.... more often than not the delays / time 'lost' can be measures in minutes.

And quite often, fractions of minutes. It's just the frustration that can't be measured.

.... more often than not the delays / time 'lost' can be measures in minutes.

And quite often, fractions of minutes. It's just the frustration that can't be measured.

If someone is constantly getting frustrated whilst driving it's time they stopped.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Metropolis.
Easier just to ban cyclists, most of whom are not actually going anywhere apart from point A to point A in a loop. Such a ban would dramatically reduce cycling accidents, possibly to nil, and make the roads a much nicer place to be.
Easier just to ban cyclists, most of whom are not actually going anywhere apart from point A to point A in a loop. Such a ban would dramatically reduce cycling accidents, possibly to nil, and make the roads a much nicer place to be.

I'd ban all grey/silver/black and white cars, lorries, vans and motorbikes.

Now that would make it a nicer place to be.

I'd ban all grey/silver/black and white cars, lorries, vans and motorbikes.

Now that would make it a nicer place to be.

Perhaps all Audi drivers too. ;)

If we are going to get silly: Just ban all non essential trips by cars. No need for a day trip to the beach or country park is there. Food shopping more than once a week isn’t needed.
Easier just to ban cyclists, most of whom are not actually going anywhere apart from point A to point A in a loop.

Please provide convincing stats to back up this generalisation, and then some to show that the same thing doesn't apply to drivers ? Or walkers for that matter ?

Really? Whatever a bike is used for it's great for exercise. And why should roads just be for vehicles/motorcycles?

Tax cyclists? They're already taxed, and a special tax for solely for them would be pointless.

Really? Whatever a bike is used for it's great for exercise. And why should roads just be for vehicles/motorcycles?

Tax cyclists? They're already taxed, and a special tax for solely for them would be pointless.

Especially when encouraging people to get more exercise is quite important at the moment - the last thing we need is yet another way is incentivising people to do less exercise.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Cris_on_the_gas

There are no speed limits for bicycles. Road traffic act only applies to mechanically propelled vehicles.

Oh dear...this latest cyclist bashing session leads me to believe that there are many motorists who really need to consider giving up driving.

Speed limits for cyclists? - veloceman
Indeed Nellyjak.
I cycle 15 miles a day in my commute to work.
Always use cycle paths, stop at lights and wait my turn.
And all this whilst my fully taxed car sits at home.
Almost every other European Country accepts bicycles as a normal mode of transport.

Very interesting comments-thankyou. Of course cyclists should be entitled to use roads, obey the same rules as motorists and motorists in turn should respect them.

Its been many years since I rode a bike on a public road--Is it time for pedal bicycle tax ( vehicle tax ?) and should you perhaps have to have (comprehensive) insurance?

Very interesting comments-thankyou. Of course cyclists should be entitled to use roads, obey the same rules as motorists and motorists in turn should respect them.

Its been many years since I rode a bike on a public road--Is it time for pedal bicycle tax ( vehicle tax ?) and should you perhaps have to have (comprehensive) insurance?

Bicycle tax.?...impractical....the administration and policing of it would cost more that the revenue it attracted....you suggesting registration plates too.?

Insurance.?...why not...from what I've seen here it would seem cyclists need protecting from the unnecessarily angry and impatient motorists they have to endure.

It's a shame that the UK is not as enlightened as some of our European cousins.

BUT...I will always maintain there are good and bad on both sides...one can only hope that the good always outnumber the bad.!!

Edited by nellyjak on 12/08/2020 at 17:11

It's been many years since I rode a bike on a public road--Is it time for pedal bicycle tax ( vehicle tax ?) and should you perhaps have to have (comprehensive) insurance?

I think taxing cyclists would be messy, and probably counterintuitive at a time when people are being urged to use them - while arguably drivers are taxed so as not to drive.

But I think some form of cycle registration to help identify riders (and bikes) might be considered. Some university towns used to do this, and may still do ?

Unless all bikes have number plates, which is unlikely, enforcing compulsory insurance will be extremely difficult, and the police wouldn't bother to do anything unless the cyclist was involved in an incident. As it is they're not really interested in uninsured drivers.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Chrome

I am a cyclist when I am on one of my bicycles, a biker when riding my 500cc motorcycle and a car driver when driving my diesel car. Still the same person - just different modes of transport. A car driver subjected me to a 'punishment overtake' the other week, I soon caught up with him and he responded with the common retort of 'you don't pay any roadtax!!' I responded that was no justification for him passing so closely to me and that I actually paid MORE road tax than him as I also have a car and motorcycle on the road. He had no response to that!

- FoxyJukebox

Edited by Dogfuzz on 13/08/2020 at 09:18

So--at the moment who pays if an uninsured cyclist skids(no injuries) into a car , it was blatantly cyclists fault and car was damaged and needing expensive repair. Does motorist use their insurance and go through the entire rigmarole of a claim and the certainty of a insurance premium hike at next renewal OR does uninsured cyclist pay the driver's damages out of own pocket?

Does motorist use their insurance and go through the entire rigmarole of a claim and the certainty of a insurance premium hike at next renewal OR does uninsured cyclist pay the driver's damages out of own pocket?

In the real world, probably neither, unless the cyclist is very rueful or much smaller than the driver.

So--at the moment who pays if an uninsured cyclist skids(no injuries) into a car , it was blatantly cyclists fault and car was damaged and needing expensive repair. Does motorist use their insurance and go through the entire rigmarole of a claim and the certainty of a insurance premium hike at next renewal OR does uninsured cyclist pay the driver's damages out of own pocket?

I would hazard a guess that if a cyclist inflcted "expensive repair" on any vehicle then the cyclist is likely to be dead.!

However..to ratchet it down to a more likely scenario..then I certainly WOULD pay out of my own pocket for any damage to be repaired that I might have caused to a vehicle... without hesitation...it would be the right thing to do.

I would, of course, expect the same in return.

Depends if the cyclist hangs around after the incident. If they ride off what do you do?

If the cyclist skids, say on spilled diesel, then it's by no means 'blatantly' their fault.

Nonetheless I accept cyclists can cause damage to vehicles. My son did so as a youngster, scraping a car's bonnet with the 'bull horn' extensions on his bike's bars. Although insured via family membership of CTC repair was less than excess. Bank/insurance co of Mum and Dad paid.

A hypothetical cyclist might do damage and scarper or, if identified and sued prove to be a 'straw man' with no resources other than benefits; max deduction <£4/week. Driver has to pay for repair or claim. To be honest though it's pretty rare for a cyclist to do more than superficial paint damage.

There are lots of other similar risks not least pedestrians who walk out. Witnessed such an incident outside Holborn tube station many years ago. I don't know what a new bonnet and nearside wing for a Citroen 2CV cost in 1980 but it's be a chunk from anyone's monthly pay.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/08/2020 at 12:14

Speed limits for cyclists? - London calling

27,000 people seriously injured or killed on Uk roads each year, how many cars are damaged by cyclist a year?

Speed limits for cyclists? - veloceman
Some king of registration is a good idea. Maybe a chip in the frame. Not practical to have number plates.
I agree with insurance. It’s only £30 a year to cover third party and your bike too.
Sensible as I am I certainly wouldn’t want any error in judgement to result in being taken to court for costs.
Speed limits for cyclists? - Brit_in_Germany

Don't worry - if the conspiracy theorists amongst us are correct, we will all be injected with Bill Gates' microchips and tracked by the all-killing 5G signals so there will be no need to identify the vehicle.

Some king of registration is a good idea. Maybe a chip in the frame.

Perhaps some fish too? Salt and vinegar, mushy peas?

One thing is for sure...after witnessing some of the cycle/cyclist bashing comments on this thread, it's clear I have to be even MORE careful than before.

Speed limits for cyclists? - Manatee

One thing is for sure...after witnessing some of the cycle/cyclist bashing comments on this thread, it's clear I have to be even MORE careful than before.

Quite. I find the hatred inexplicable. It seems to be a UK thing too.

It used to be relaxing walking the canal towpath, now you need eyes in the back of your head to spot cyclists bearing down on you and quickly decide whether to jump into he nettles and brambles or take a dip - not sure some of these could stop if you didn't clear the way. Bicycle bells don't seem popular round here.