Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - FoxyJukebox

I have successfully applied on line for a renewal of my over 70's licence and received an e-mail confirming receipt of the application. Fine. Let's see how long it takes given the current climate.

There was an instruction in the on line application process to now cut up my old licence and return it to Swansea. Should I do this straight away assuming my e-mail confirmation is "temporary evidence" of an existing licence and new application OR should I retain my old licence till the new one turns up?

Thanks

Edited by Dogfuzz on 01/08/2020 at 11:39

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Trilogy.

My mother's took about 3 months to come through. I can't remember what she did with the old one, perhaps better to retain until new one turns up.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Galaxy

I'd certainly keep the old licence until the new one turns up.

Before returning the old one I'd certainly make a photocopy of it.

In fact, come to think of it, if I could possibly avoid returning it then I'd probably do that. Say you've lost it what are they going to do? They can hardly say you need to apply for a new replacement licence because they've just issued you with one!

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Roger Adams

It may not take as long as your think. My wife renewed her licence in July and the new licence arrived in less than a week. We had kept her old licence, expecting the new one to take much longer to arrive, but then cut it up and posted it to DVLA as instructed - remember it is illegal to have two licences.

Edited by Roger Adams on 01/08/2020 at 14:51

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - misar

I cut mine up as a security precaution but ignored the request to return the pieces. Never heard anything about it (twice).

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Middleman

Were you able to agree to them using your photo and signature from your passport?

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - misar

Yes.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - John F

I cut mine up as a security precaution but ignored the request to return the pieces. Never heard anything about it

So did I. Neither did I. Still got one of the two pieces - the half with the photo on it. If they wanted me to return them, they should have supplied a SAE.

Edited by John F on 02/08/2020 at 10:14

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - buspasser

Unlikely they check if you have sent it back as they would need to reassemble it to get the details. If they were going to check I would have thought they would tell you not to cut it up.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - buspasser

Unlikely they check if you have sent it back as they would need to reassemble it to get the details. If they were going to check I would have thought they would tell you not to cut it up.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Middleman

Yes.

Then provided there are no complications such as medical issues, it should take no longer than a week.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Will deBeast

I didn't send my old one back. I was never chased for it.

I keep it by the front door for proof of age/ID when I have anything delivered which the courier needs proof of age for - eg. alcohol/knives.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - _

I didn't send my old one back. I was never chased for it.

I keep it by the front door for proof of age/ID when I have anything delivered which the courier needs proof of age for - eg. alcohol/knives.

I still have my paper copy, even though we were told to destroy them...

On the subject of stuff by the front door,

1. There is a very alert dog.. she does the "rounds" at night checking on us..

2 As with will. de beast,. same, an old licence on a halter hanging there.

3. As a light diversion, can anyone guess what I kept close by recently when there were a few breakin attemps locally.?

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Avant

A bucket of water kept near an upstairs window?

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - John F

An AK47?

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - _

An AK47?

I do actually have a photo of youngrovergirl and one of her female friends in Beirut (where else) toting a couple of AK47s.

It has reminded me to try to recover it from a nokia 9000...

Answer to the question was a crowbar as I suffered a bit of mild paranoia when i first got ill.

Back to normal now though as I am definitely sure they are out to get me!

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - John Boy

I do actually have a photo of youngrovergirl and one of her female friends in Beirut (where else) toting a couple of AK47s.

Did you have a variation on a shotgun wedding, ORB?

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - FoxyJukebox

Further to my original post on 1/8-I can report that my new licence arrived in the post this morning. For this to have happened within 2 working days of application is surely a record?...well done DVLA!

Now I must remember to cut up the old licence ( not the new!) and return it to Swansea.

Thankyou for all interesting comments.

Edited by Dogfuzz on 05/08/2020 at 13:17

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - majosh1948

License renewal - DVLA. I submitted my over70 renewal in Dec 2020. I am 73 so this was my seccod time. Acknowledgement received but no license yet and no change in my details since the first renewal at age 70.

Check out the legislation under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act.

Best wishes.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - FP

"I submitted my over70 renewal in Dec 2020. I am 73 so this was my seccod time. Acknowledgement received but no license yet..."

You have a problem. It should take days, not over six months.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Bromptonaut

"I submitted my over70 renewal in Dec 2020. I am 73 so this was my seccod time. Acknowledgement received but no license yet..."

You have a problem. It should take days, not over six months.

The issue is that anything involving paper is bogged down because of the problems operating in the DVLA's buildings post Covid.

On line takes a few days but if medical evidence is involved then you join a long queue.

Over 70's driving licence renewal-question - Falkirk Bairn

You can check on the status of your own driving licence at any time

You need your NI Number & your driver licence code - starts with part of your surname, dob and random letters - IIRC Line 5 on the licence you have