gadgets as advertised! - concrete

Just out of interest. The gadget displayed on the website which will apparently provide all manner of TV programmes. I looked at one of these quite a while ago when seeking to upgrade to smart TV and possibly other networks. I was warned off this gadget or something similar. Can't quite remember why, it either didn't work as expected or was a bit vague about how it connected to networks. Anyway did not buy one and went the smart TV route with BT, then Netflix and Now etc. Has something changed? I would presume that advertising here would mean it has the approval of the website owners and conforms to all legal requirements.

I don't know how networks protect their contents from non subscribers, but I am sure they try.

There was a case quite some years ago. A chap in the Scottish Highlands, an ex military radio boffin built a receiver which could get just about any signal he chose. He also had the technological ability to de-code the signals and watch any Tv channel he chose. He did this because he said at the time terrestrial TV was not reliable enough in his location. Also he had the ability to build this equipment. I believe it was Sky who threatened him with court action and he told them to go and swivel. Nothing came of it apparently. Maybe anecdotal but interesting concept. Nothing for nothing I suppose.

Cheers Concrete

gadgets as advertised! - Zippy123

I would presume that advertising here would mean it has the approval of the website owners and conforms to all legal requirements.

Cheers Concrete

The adverts you see are customised to you based on the tracking cookies on your computer. You may see adverts for TV devices, I see adverts for dishwashers (SWMBO is in the market for a new one).

The adverts are not all "approved" even the major newspapers show adverts from out and out crooks because they get fed to the websites from 3rd party advertising companies.

Remember Martin Lewis from Money Saving Expert appearing on fake adverts for bitcoin and the like on Facebook and other places. Just because these ads appear on major sites - don't trust them.

gadgets as advertised! - concrete

Thank you Zippy. I did look at one of these devices years ago and was warned off by people who know. Nowt for nowt. I suspected the website wouldn't vet all the adverts and I would be wary in any case. Shame we need to be very cynical these days. With some people; if they told me the grass was green I would go outside and check!!!

Cheers Concrete

gadgets as advertised! - Engineer Andy

I would presume that advertising here would mean it has the approval of the website owners and conforms to all legal requirements.

Cheers Concrete

The adverts you see are customised to you based on the tracking cookies on your computer. You may see adverts for TV devices, I see adverts for dishwashers (SWMBO is in the market for a new one).

The adverts are not all "approved" even the major newspapers show adverts from out and out crooks because they get fed to the websites from 3rd party advertising companies.

Remember Martin Lewis from Money Saving Expert appearing on fake adverts for bitcoin and the like on Facebook and other places. Just because these ads appear on major sites - don't trust them.

A great advert (pardon the pun) for cookie management and ad-blocking software add-ons for your browser.

gadgets as advertised! - Palcouk

Yes I have ad-blocking software and rarely see any adds whatever browser I use. Also don't use Facebook or other social media which is littered with such stuff. Rarely use Goggle either

gadgets as advertised! - Bromptonaut

That exactly. Saw the Martin Lewis ad as banner on the website of a local authority in Lincolnshire. Site visit was in a professional capacity on my work PC for purpose of establishing Council Tax payable.