Name / fix for Rubber strip on back of hood? - aksargige4

I'm a complete car idiot... apologies. I got a 03 escape a couple years back as my first car; and I'm trying to slowly go through and fix things as I go. There's this rubber strip on the back of the bottom of the hood (near the cabin?) that has some plastic pins that I think broke and it droops down. Should I replace it/fix it? And how would I go about doing it?

Name / fix for Rubber strip on back of hood? - edlithgow

Bonnet.

Hood in the US.

Lost my rubber strip and havn't so far missed it. You could make bent wire clips, or possibly cut metal ones from an empty spam tin, or use glue.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.

Just had three days of VERY heavy and sustained rain (perhaps the heaviest I've seen here in Taiwan since typhoon Morakot) and its quite wet under the bonnet due to a waterfall coming down the windscreen, so maybe that strip is a bit useful.

Wonder what I did with it.

Edited by edlithgow on 23/05/2020 at 08:12

Name / fix for Rubber strip on back of hood? - aksargige4

Bonnet.

Hood in the US.

Lost my rubber strip and havn't so far missed it. You could make bent wire clips, or possibly cut metal ones from an empty spam tin, or use glue.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.

Just had three days of VERY heavy and sustained rain (perhaps the heaviest I've seen here in Taiwan since typhoon Morakot) and its quite wet under the bonnet due to a waterfall coming down the windscreen, so maybe that strip is a bit useful.

Wonder what I did with it.

_

Edited by Avant on 24/05/2020 at 10:49

Name / fix for Rubber strip on back of hood? - badbusdriver

Just out of curiousity, i looked up what a 2003 Ford Escape was. Low and behold it was actually sold here in the UK, though not as the Escape. Here you could have it as a Ford Maverick or the (more or less identical) Mazda Tribute, from 2000-2007.

And weirdly, given how few there are of either left on our roads (On Autotrader there is one Maverick and two Tribute's for sale), friends of my parents have a Maverick.

Edited by badbusdriver on 24/05/2020 at 10:09

Name / fix for Rubber strip on back of hood? - edlithgow

Ford Escape has a poor rep for reliability here in Taiwan but they are relatively cheap so there are quite a lot of them about.

Mazda version is allegedly a bit better. If they'd given Mazda a free hand it could have been another CRV but Ford apparently let the accountants get at it.

Not sure what Avant's edit above is about, but my tinned meat suspicions are so far unconfirmed, so perhaps I should apologise.

Did seem to fit the profile though.

Edited by edlithgow on 24/05/2020 at 14:07

Name / fix for Rubber strip on back of hood? - Avant

No, your suspicions are correct Ed, but I left the thread up as people replied to it. He added a link in the second post, which of course I've deleted.