Electric - Cost ---- £ 700 - HGV ~ P Valentine

I know there are another 2 threads but could not find them so apologies for this one.

As in the other thread I said I would make enquiries about the cost of puttig a charge point outside my house ( well flat actually but lets not split hairs ), the practical side of this you can charge while sleeping etc etc etc.

I told the company I was thinking of an electric car but wanted to weigh up the cost in comparison to the traditional fuels.

I was quoted about £ 700, I did forget to ask if that included VAT.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 29/03/2020 at 11:32

Electric - Cost ---- £ 700 - Brit_in_Germany

There is the government grant of 75% up to £350 to knock off that figure.

Electric - Cost ---- £ 700 - glidermania

I know there are another 2 threads but could not find them so apologies for this one.

As in the other thread I said I would make enquiries about the cost of puttig a charge point outside my house ( well flat actually but lets not split hairs ), the practical side of this you can charge while sleeping etc etc etc.

I told the company I was thinking of an electric car but wanted to weigh up the cost in comparison to the traditional fuels.

I was quoted about £ 700, I did forget to ask if that included VAT.

Yes, do you expect it to be free? If you are buying an EV you can get a grant or, effectively installed for free by some manufacturers wrapped up in the sale.

However, these chargers tend to be basic feature ones. If you want something a bit more whizzy then 700 quid is about right.

Electric - Cost ---- £ 700 - HGV ~ P Valentine

As I said in the post, It is a comparison between buying a traditional car compared to electric, and the extra cost you might incur from going electric, just like the other threads.

Which also included the cost of having to change the batteries, which can be be £ 1000-6000 depending on the car., every 1'000'000-2'000'000 miles again depending on the car..

Compare that to a petrol engine, or a diesel over the same milage, teh diesel especially may loose its peak performance but do not usually require a new engine just because of the milage.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 03/04/2020 at 11:44

Electric - Cost ---- £ 700 - badbusdriver

As I said in the post, It is a comparison between buying a traditional car compared to electric, and the extra cost you might incur from going electric, just like the other threads.

Which also included the cost of having to change the batteries, which can be be £ 1000-6000 depending on the car., every 1'000'000-2'000'000 miles again depending on the car..

Compare that to a petrol engine, or a diesel over the same milage, teh diesel especially may loose its peak performance but do not usually require a new engine just because of the milage.

Surely if you get 1,000,000 miles out of an electric car battery you’re laughing!.

However, assuming you meant 100,000 miles, I’d point you to the other current electric car thread and the link I posted on it re a Nissan Leaf bought with 120k miles. The battery condition was checked and found to be 88% of what it was new. Losing 1% of the battery performance for every 10k miles doesn’t seem too bad to me.

Electric - Cost ---- £ 700 - Cris_on_the_gas

You can buy the chargers for about £350, or £400 for an RFID one. Then either get a part P qualified Electrician to install or DIY and get approval.