Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - wilmarub

I've been in the used motor industry for a long time. I've always thought that inaugural Mot tests could be mandatory at a mileage cap rather than age.

A two year old car can easily travel 80k without a legal road safety test. But a three year old car could travel less than 20k and be forced the test.

Anyone else think this is an incorrect way to measure the roadworthyness of a used car?

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - badbusdriver

Anyone else think this is an incorrect way to measure the roadworthyness of a used car?

No, much more wear and tear is done to an engine with constant short journeys than long, so emissions can suffer. Brakes can bind through lack of regular use, exhausts can rust through due to condensation building up thanks to the system never getting hot enough to to dry it out properly, suspension components can fail through drving constantly through the battlescarred town/city roads (motorway surfaces may not be great compared to some other countries, but they are much better than our urban roads.

That isn't to say higher mileage cars are not likely to suffer, but overall i'd say it balances out pretty well. If anything, just have all cars MOT'd every year from new.

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - gordonbennet

I too think it works pretty well as is, most cars will be under a warranty of some sort for at least the first 3 years, during which time they will have to be serviced to keep the warranty valid.

Hackney carriages get much more involved testing at local authority sites, and cars owned by people such security companies which travel high mileages have to be maintained well or would be unreliable and the company would go out of business.

The annual MOT isn't broke far as i can see for the vast majority of us, no point in trying to mend it.

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - misar

Parts and settings deteriorate over time as well as mileage. That is why most manufacturers specify service intervals as a combination of miles and time. So if you are worried about safety the first MoT should logically change to something like 3 years or 36k miles, whichever comes first.

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - Bromptonaut

A two year old car can easily travel 80k without a legal road safety test. But a three year old car could travel less than 20k and be forced the test.

You could make an argument for 3yrs OR 60,000 miles but not mileage alone.

Cars have come on since the sixties but c1970 my Mother had a 1966/D Mini with <20k miles and you could see the road through it's floor.

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - focussed

Mot's for cars in France don't start until 4 years from date of first registration and then are every 2 years, why does the UK insist on annual inspections?

Apart to make work for the garage workshops that carry out the inspection!

Is there any evidence that technical faults are causing a lot of accidents?

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - Andrew-T

Is there any evidence that technical faults are causing a lot of accidents?

Perhaps not, but annual MoTs should do a lot to catch those owners who do little to their vehicles except to keep the fuel tank filled. Though the surveillance system doesn't seem to be very effective from what one hears. My test ran over by 2 months last year before I noticed.

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - SLO76
“ You could make an argument for 3yrs OR 60,000 miles but not mileage alone.”

I agree although I’d possibly reduce the mileage figure to 50,000. Suspension components in particular can be worn by this stage and too many people ignore rattles and knocks or never check tyres to allow anything more.
Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - Will deBeast

I'd rather not create an extra incentive for people to clock the mileage on their cars!

I hear too many tales of people taking out a PCP for 8,000 (or so) miles a year and doing 20,000+ as it is.

Edited by Will deBeast on 01/02/2020 at 05:30

Why 3 Year MOT instead of mileage cap? - HGV ~ P Valentine

Good idea, but how would the authorities know when its time to get it checked ? For this to work there would have to be some way of the same authorities receiving up to date mileage, as there is a small minority who do not care about safety of their vehicles.