Excess Emission Premium - daveyjp

My attention was drawn to this from a sales e-mail from a dealer link to the validity of what is being stated below, I have not seen it mentioned on this site, or anywhere else.

From 1 January any new car sold which exceeds the limit of 95g Co2/KM will have a premium of €95 per gramme above the 95g limit, but there are plenty of caveats and workarounds which is maybe why the headline figures aren't as potentially expensive as they first appear.

Are new vehicle prices starting to reflect this extra charge or will manufacturers pay and average is across their whole sales?

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en

Excess Emission Premium - oldroverboy.

I am quite sure that we (the car buyers) will end up paying..

Excess Emission Premium - CHarkin

From 1 January any new car sold which exceeds the limit of 95g Co2/KM will have a premium of €95 per gramme above the 95g limit,

I don't think the statement is quite true. Its over the whole of all the cars a manufacturer products over 95g on average the fine will be applied. So if they sell 1000 cars at 90g and 1000 cars at 100g then there is no fine.

I would expect some good offers on under 95g cars so they can sell more of the high profit big luxury cars. Manufacturers can sell on their unused CO2 to other manufacturers.

Edited by CHarkin on 19/11/2019 at 15:22