Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Vicksburg
Hi all,

I posted this on the Mazda Forum but did not get a response, so hopefully I can get some answers on here.

I'm new to this Forum and apologise in advance if my post is too long or in anyway boring.

On Monday of last week I had a 3 year service, Mazda Infotainment update and safety recall inspection carried out by my local Mazda Dealer on my 2016 CX-5 with 35k on the clock, all seemed to be OK and I took out a service plan with them. Two days later my wife called me to say that the car was completely dead and she had arranged for her Companies maintenance dept. to send a mechanic, on opening the bonnet his first words were "there's your problem" the negative battery connection was loose, on opening the positive cover this was also loose. He tightened both connections and everything was OK.

I contacted the dealership who assured me that the battery connections were not touched during the service and would not be checked unless there was a starting issue with the car and that the loose connections were just a coincidence and nothing to do with the service. I bought the car in February this year and have never had any problems with it until now. I feel it is really stretching the bounds of incredulity to suggest that both connections coming loose after the service was just a coincidence.

After the service my wife said that the panel and Ifo system lights were very dim and it seems they had defaulted back to factory settings which I assumed was due to the update and I reset them. It wasn't until Friday when I noticed that the auto windows were not working and I checked the manual to find that if the battery had been disconnected the auto windows have to be initialised, on mentioning this to my wife she had forgotten to tell me that this had happened with her also on the Monday evening after the service which seems to confirm that the battery was disconnected at some point whilst they had the car.

My question therefore is twofold: 1: has anyone had their terminal connections come loose before (I have been driving all sorts of cars for 50 odd years and it has never happened to me) and 2: any suggestions as to what course of action I should now pursue as the consequences of driving a car in that condition are endless the most serious is it could have caused a fire.

I thank you in advance for any response.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Railroad.

Seriously I think you need to get a life. Battery terminals can and do come loose. In fact a car is a very complicated piece of machinery and anything can go wrong with it at any time. If you can't accept that then perhaps you shouldn't be driving one.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - gordonbennet

I think its pretty obvious the battery terminals were disconnected during the service, it might have been on the previous visit but i doubt it, the person you spoke to on the phone was quite possibly just a service receptionist who seldom if ever has wielded a spanner themselves and was automatically denying they did anything wrong as per script, no its not good customer service and i would remember this when you next wish to give someone your business.

The terminals weren't retightened, it happens, someone spoke to the mechanic and he clean forgot.

I don't think any harm will have been done, yes the auto windows will need resetting plus the radio may need reset plus some other dash items, not sure but the steering angle may need some sort of reset.

I'd visit the dealership and speak to the service manager and explain in friendly terms what happened, they should IMHO make sure all the necessary resets are done on a goodwill no charge basis, if they are not forthcoming you could escalate in writing to the dealer principal, but if the response from someone as senior as the service manager is still negative i'd be more inclined to simply find another dealer to give my future business to.

Let us know what happens please, oh and welcome to the forum.

No need for that response from the previous poster, its not typical of the replies here.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/10/2019 at 11:36

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Vicksburg
Thanks for your response, I have replied to the previous poster and am sure,as you say that it is not typical of the posters on here.

I have spoken to the Service Manager a few times, but he still insists that the battery wasn't touched, everything else with the car seems OK including the steering.

I'm inclined to escalate the matter with a strong letter to the MD and take my business elsewhere, once again thanks for your comments.
Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - FP

I think you may have to accept that you can't prove the garage was responsible for the loose connections. However, at some point in the past somebody may have left them a bit loose and they've got worse.

"Get a life" I can do without your sarky comments. I am not 6 years old and know perfectly well that things can go wrong at anytime and believe it or not I think I have worked out by now that a car is a complicated piece of equipment as I have been driving them for over 50 years.

I really don't believe that two nuts and bolts are classed as "complicated pieces of machinery"

I'm new on here and haven't got a clue who you are or your reputation on this Forum but if you can't say anything constructive why bother posting.
Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Railroad.
I really don't believe that two nuts and bolts are classed as "complicated pieces of machinery"

Really? They're obviously complicated enough for you to fail to realise it wasn't charging when you saw the lights were dimmer than they should be. The first thing anyone who knew anything about cars would've checked would be the battery terminals, followed closely by the alternator drive belt. And since you've been driving for 50 years you should know that things like this should be regularly checked.

You're only looking for someone to blame for what is partly your failure. Perhaps you should open the bonnet once in a while.

Please give it a rest and stop digging.

As you seem so knowledgeable I respectfully suggest that you read my post fully. I said that the dashboard lights and Infotainment system had defaulted to factory settings and needed resetting, at no time did any warning lights appear and all systems were working perfectly.

I really can't be bothered with your comments and you are really beginning to p*** me off, so do me a favour and stay off this thread.
Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Squirrel tail

I really can't believe that loose battery terminals were not spotted on a three year service !

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - SENIORA

Really? They're obviously complicated enough for you to fail to realise it wasn't charging when you saw the lights were dimmer than they should be. The first thing anyone who knew anything about cars would've checked would be the battery terminals, followed closely by the alternator drive belt. And since you've been driving for 50 years you should know that things like this should be regularly checked.

You're only looking for someone to blame for what is partly your failure. Perhaps you should open the bonnet once in a while.

My question therefore is twofold: 1: has anyone had their terminal connections come loose before (I have been driving all sorts of cars for 50 odd years and it has never happened to me) and 2: any suggestions as to what course of action I should now pursue as the consequences of driving a car in that condition are endless the most serious is it could have caused a fire.

I really don't understand where Railroad's post has come from. Nothing in the OP deserves such harsh words, particularly "perhaps you shouldn't be driving one".

An unhelpful post if ever there was one.

Edited by FP on 15/10/2019 at 12:12

With one obvious exception I thank you for your comments and as you say it is going to be impossible to prove the battery was disconnected, so I will contact them with a letter of complaint and see what happens.

Unfortunately my first experience of using this Forum has left rather a sour taste.

It's not typical, so please don't give up on us.

There are a few who seem to get hot under the collar for no reason, but most here genuinely try to help. Occasionally criticism is given when it seems deserved.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Will deBeast

Seriously I think you need to get a life. Battery terminals can and do come loose....

So rude.

And I've never had a battery terminal come loose of its own accord, ever.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Andrew-T

<< I've never had a battery terminal come loose of its own accord, ever. >>

Nor me. But many terminals are made of a lead alloy, like the posts they are attached to. That metal is soft and will slowly stretch under tension, until further tightening may be impossible. Then you must slacken slightly and tap the terminal down the taper (if you can).

I have recently had to do that with my 25-y-o Pug 306.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Avant

Welcome to the forum,Vicksburg. As moderator I competely echo the comments above from some of our regular members.

The great majority of us are happy to give advice (we don't give it as professionals although some people have extensive relevant experience): we owe it to our fellow human beings to advise and comment politely and reasonably.

Railroad - you have been contributing to the forum for 15 years, and you should know by now that we won't tolerate rudeness. I have deleted one particularly offensive post above and if there are any more it'll be your account that gets deleted.

In this case I'm sure it was a momentary error by a mechanic - but it could have been dangerous if the car had 'died' on the move. I'm sure a polite but firm letter / Email to the service manager is the best approach, if only to ensure they exercise more quality control and don't endanger anyone in the future.

Edited by Avant on 15/10/2019 at 18:02

Hi Avant,

Thanks for your comments and I will be contacting the Dealership with my concerns and will post the outcome when it is resolved.

With regard to the post by "Railroad" I can assure that I won't be loosing any sleep over them and I am sure they do not in anyway reflect the majority on here.

Regards

" I am sure they do not in anyway reflect the majority on here." They don't - you can rest assured they do not.

Avant uses a light touch as moderator, but he will step in if necessary and do something drastic. But he's a realistic and sympathetic individual, to judge from what he posts on here.

One other point: I think this thread has aroused enough interest (if possibly for the wrong reasons) for us to be curious about the outcome. If you could keep us posted I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Thanks FP for your comments and I am in the process of compiling an email to the Dealer, and will certainly let you know the outcome.
Hi all

Just a quick update, I have just found out from the Mazda Forum and online that the battery has to be removed to replace the fuel filter. I have an invoice that clearly states that the fuel filter was replaced at the service.

To say I am livid would be an understatement, why on earth would a Mazda Dealership blatantly lie to me. The Service Manager was fully aware that I am not the type to just accept that it was a coincidence that the terminals were loose and that I would take the matter further

It will be interesting to see the response I get from them.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - gordonbennet

Oh, i'm enjoying this, it's what happens when you assume your customers know no better and you are of the mentality to take advantage of them or the fact they may not know, not this customer mind he found you out.

All they needed to have said when you first mentioned the issue, ''please bring it in Mr Vicksburg we'll sort it out, sorry for any inconvenience, we'll make amends to you on the next service'' or something along those lines.

How to lose your customer's faith in one easy lesson, bravo.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/10/2019 at 17:42

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Engineer Andy

Oh, i'm enjoying this, it's what happens when you assume your customers know no better and you are of the mentality to take advantage of them or the fact they may not know, not this customer mind he found you out.

All they needed to have said when you first mentioned the issue, ''please bring it in Mr Vicksburg we'll sort it out, sorry for any inconvenience, we'll make amends to you on the next service'' or something along those lines.

How to lose your customer's faith in one easy lesson, bravo.

As much as I love Mazdas (being an Mazda car owner of long standing) for their driving appeal and styling, unfortunately I cannot say the same about many of their main dealers, and on a fair number of cases (from reading accounts on Mazda owners' forums), Mazda UK.

IMHO, the dealership experience appears to be patchy at best (rather like Ford and Vauxhall, in my view) - most are better than average on the sale front, but quite variable in quality as regards post-sales.

Like the OP, many fellow Mazda owners have be treated disrespectfully at dealers for what often are minor gripes.inconveniences, which can easily lead to the customer taking their business elsewhere on maintenance once the warranty is up or to another make when they want to change cars - often the experience of using the car is normally very positive.

All this trouble just for not admitting an error immediately, apologising and making good at a relatively small cost in both monetary terms and goodwill (sometimes you get a positive for being promot and honest).

I think this is a significant part of the reason why sales of Mazdas have fallen off considerably compared to rival makes since their 'heyday' of the early-mid 2000s - owners liked the cars, not so much the dealership expreience. Mazda have a long history of innovative and stylish designs, but they need to learn a valuable lesson from the best in customer service from their peers, especially as being a smaller player means they are far more vunerable to customer services foul-ups than larger companies.

Oddly enough, from reading between the lines from reports from credible motoring journalists from North America and Down Under, it appears that a lot of how the dealership networks treat their customers is down to how the local branch of Mazda (e.g. Mazda UK) police their dealerships by enforcing a proper code of conduct.

From my own (minor) experience and mainly from anecdotal ones from others on Mazda owners' forums, Mazda UK are a very 'hand-off' operation and appear to leave dealerships to their own devices, rarely getting involved (to the benefit of the customer) in disputes.

Form those reports from the areas I mentioned, they appear to do a far better job and their local dealerships are much better regardsed by customers, leading to vastly higher sales (partly because sales of 'utility vehicles' is higher, but also because they offer a wider range of engines). In Australia, Mazda are second only to Toyota, but nearly twice as many as sold in the UK but with a vastly lower population. See what you can do when you look after customers well!

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Avant

We need more people like you, Vicksburg, who aren't prepared to accept poor service: there are too many of us in this country who do accept it.

At the very least you should get an apology and an offer of either a free service or a year's extension to the service plan, if it still has some time to run. Good luck!

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - madf

Just come late to this...

Stick to your guns Vickburg...That is an apalling lack of quality control... if they are like that with a battery, they can be like that with brakes.. or engine oil..(and of course if you lose teh latter£££s).

If I were you, I would choos another garage - if feasible.

(I diy myself for the above reasons: ,many years ago after a service by a dealer, I drove about 200 miles and noticed teh oil warning light flickered on corners.. Stopped and found the oil plug was so loose as to one turn of falling off....Strangely enough, I have never done it on my own cars )

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Manatee

Simple mistake, it happens. What's not acceptable but all too common is the reflex response of denial.

I had a turbo pipe left off once after a service. The village Ford Retail Dealer didn't deny it but I was treated like the guilty party when I took it back and asked them to reconnect it. Never went back, not because of the mistake but the attitude.

When I pick a car up now after a service, I have a good look round, check the oil, run the engine and look for escaping fluids.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - concrete

Mistakes do happen and it is easy to forget that we all make them from time to time. However as Manatee said, the response generally is a 'nothing to do with us Gov" now clear off and don't bother us. Not acceptable at all. Well done Vicksburg for pursuing this and I hope you can arrange a meeting with the dealer service manager and hold them to account. Despite the somewhat negative response from one poster you persisted and it paid off. I hope the outcome is what you want and please let us know the conclusions.

Cheers Concrete

I'd just like to thank you all for you support, It's very encouraging.

I have decided to email the MD and Service Dept. and that will go tomorrow and will let you know the outcome.

Just to be on the safe side I phoned three Mazda dealers today and not only spoke to the Service Dept's but the actual workshops and they all confirmed that the battery has to come out in order to change the fuel filter.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Chris M

Assume they tightened the battery securing bracket (?) properly?

Mistakes happen. The grease monkey may have been called away for some reason or maybe under pressure to get two jobs done in the time it takes to do one job properly. I never found out why the main dealer left the bleed nipple loose when they changed the brake fluid on my Astra. It was loose enough to squirt fluid out when the brakes were applied, not just a drip. The Customer Service Manager took it seriously when I emailed him the video!

I had a car back from a service with a main dealer with the oil filler cap loose. It was the dripping of oil on to the drive that alerted me to it.

The garage concerned cleaned the engine bay (you can imagine what it was like) and gave me a bottle of drive cleaner.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Chris M

I got a free MoT and, upon request, refund of the cost of the brake fluid change. I went to another Vauxhall dealer for the car's third service. Back to DIY next year.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Wee Willie Winkie

"The garage concerned cleaned the engine bay (you can imagine what it was like) and gave me a bottle of drive cleaner."

I'd be asking for a bloke to come and clean my drive, not just a bottle of cleaner!

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Andrew-T

When I pick a car up now after a service, I have a good look round, check the oil, run the engine and look for escaping fluids.

Owners should always do this. Recently my Pug 207 had its cambelt changed, which necessitates draining the coolant, which was original and still clear blue. The mechanic reused what he had collected, but when I got home nothing was visible in the reservoir.

Turned out he had not run the engine long enough to open the thermostat, so part of the circuit remained empty. No problem after topping up, but it's a simple example of what can happen.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Will deBeast
... on opening the bonnet his first words were "there's your problem" the negative battery connection was loose, on opening the positive cover this was also loose.....

As others have said, it's so annoying when the dealer defaults to denial.

We all know that mistakes happen. But if people take responsibility for them then at least they get credit for honesty.

When I bought a (brand new) car, and the dealer fitted the towbar, they broke some internal trim. That didn't bother me - it happens - but I was annoyed that they just tried to cover it up.

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - concrete

Way back in the early 70's I worked for Marley. They ran their own fleet and had vehicle inspectors who regularly checked vehicles out on the road. They would call you one evening and request you brought your car into the nearest depot for inspection. This included keeping it clean and tidy. This happened to me about a week after a major service at the local Ford dealer. I was having a coffee and waiting for the inspector to finish when he came rushing in, quite flustered. He asked me when and where it was serviced. I told him and he immediately telephoned the service manager. Within the hour they had sent a pick up truck and collected my car and brought me a replacement car. I was quite amazed at all this. It transpired that the brake fluid was leaking out and also engine oil from a loose sump plug. Marley at the time were the largest user of Ford vehicles in the country so had some clout. I had a lucky escape and the local dealership was struck off our list of service providers. Goes to show, some things don't change much.

PS. The car they gave me for over a week was a 2.0 litre Cortina GXL, quite a difference from my 1100cc Escort.

Cheers Concrete

Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav 2016 - Serious battery issue after having car service - Nomag

I had a warranty repair to the propshaft bearing on my 2011 Hyundai Ix35 at the local dealer, along with a service.

A few days after the repair was done, I started to notice a noise which was very similar to that being made by the propshaft prior to the repair.

I was furious and immediately thought they hadn't fixed it properly, so booked it back in with them (several more days later).

They phoned me to say the reason for the noise was nothing to do with the propshaft, but that the front nearside wheel nuts were so loose that the wheel was about to fall off.

What annoyed me more was not their obvious incompetence in failing to tighten said nuts, rather their complete denial that it could be anything to do with them. Now prior to the visit, the last time the wheels had been off was about 2 months prior, when I switched the winter wheels for the summer ones. This I did at home myself, with a retorquing of said bolts after a few days use. Unless a random individual was wondering around loosening wheel bolts for fun, they could only have been left loose by the garage. Had they had owned up to this, I would have accepted it as one of those things. However, not only did they refuse, they attempted to charge me their standard £70 "diagnostic charge" to tighten said bolts!

As I'm sure you can imagine, this charge was not paid, and I did not darken their door again. You can only imagine what might have occurred if the wheel had removed itself from the car at 70mph on the A1(M)!

You would think that charging £150 - £200 pounds per hour they would be employing NASA grade mechanics! The good old dependable garage workshop, gives you a warm glow inside doesn't it? Especially when the bill arrives. Cheers Concrete

They phoned me to say the reason for the noise was nothing to do with the propshaft, but that the front nearside wheel nuts were so loose that the wheel was about to fall off.

Nomag, I find it hard to believe how a faulty 'propshaft' bearing would sound like a wheel about to fall off, but I suppose one may live and learn .....

Nomag, I find it hard to believe how a faulty 'propshaft' bearing would sound like a wheel about to fall off, but I suppose one may live and learn .....

Agree with you, one will be a vibration through the steering and possibly the brake pedal, the other is a transmission vibration usually able to be altered by going from acceleration through a trailing throttle to positive engine/gear braking.

A wheel loose enough to be about to fall off would be showing some damage, alloy without a doubt but even a steely would show rubbing where it was contacting the wheelbolts and have been shined up to some extent both on the spigot and where it was contacting the hub on the back of the wheel, and the studs/bolts will show signs of rubbing against the wheel holes.

Hi all,

I am pleased to report that The MD of the Dealership phoned me and confirmed that all the issues pointed out by me were in fact correct and I accepted his apologies and the offer of a free service next year.

I think it just goes to show that we should not stand idly by and accept shoddy service and poor customer service from any organisation no matter how large or small.

Once again I would like to thank you all for your comments.

Well done, and thank you very much for coming back to us. A classic example of how to act in this sort of case.

I almost missed this.

Thank you for reporting back to us and well done for achieving a favourable result for yourself.