N/A - Road management - sammy1

Welsh government has cancelled a New motorway around Newport at a cost of £1.6billion having spent £100m on the project and no solution found to the congestion caused by the Bynglas Tunnels to the existing M4. The reason largely based on environmental concerns which I applaud.

Road tech when it was built was nowhere where it is now and it was only a 2 lane route and tunnelled for approx. 400 yds in 1962. The M4 was later widened to 3lanes but the pinch point of the tunnels remains at 2 lanes and is a real problem at rush hours.

If there is a crash or breakdown in the tunnels there is nowhere to go. The present solution is managed by cameras and speed restrictions monitoring the flow and volume. On the approach to the tunnels gantries can display 4 or 5 speed limits within less than a mile before the tunnels and these are covered by Speed Cameras, The result is the inevitable sharp braking to avoid a ticket and the knock on effect behind and miles yes miles of queues forming most of the day. Smart motorway it is not.

Now it seems to me the best solution would be to increase the speed of flow not decrease

to get though the bottle neck. This was born out I think when just average speed cameras were employed when they were putting the present system in. The motorway around Newport seemed to flow much better.

I wonder if any members are interested to comment.

N/A - Road management - bathtub tom

Doesn't traffic flow increase at lower speeds because vehicles follow closer?

N/A - Road management - Engineer Andy

Bottlenecks/pinch-points are a great British passtime. When I go on holiday to the West Country, I endure the wonder one at the junction of the M4 and M5 near Bristol.

The M25 QE bridge was built only for one direction and closes when its really windy, leaving only the old tunnels (normally for the anti-clockwise only) with two lanes each way. No spare capacity and no hard shoulders in the tunnels for emergency access, other than shutting down the other tunnel and going across on foot.

The A1 reducing from three to two lanes at several points between the M25 and Letchworth Garden City, including around Stevenage (absolutely class), though at least these sections do have a hard shoulder. Oddly enough, on another stretch of road (dual carriageway) near me, most serious accidents (and there are many) occur just after speed cameras.

Too many to bother saying for the railways. Apparently the UK has more CCTV and speed cameras per person than almost anwhere in the world.

We Brits love inventing problems to solve in a very expensive way.

N/A - Road management - gordonbennet

The problem with the tunnel is that especially westbound there is a long downhill which bends as you approach the bottleneck, plus there will inevitably be late lane changers eager to jump the queue as such forcing in from the left hand lane at the last minute, all this adds up to speeds having to be restricted or you will have 44 tonners going down there fully laden at 55mph and last minute Fred will amble across in front of one of them and die instead of gaining that 20 vehicle spaces he intended.

And yes i know that bods in container carrying lorries are some of the worst queue jumpers out there and yes other lorry drivers dislike their poor driving as much as car drivers do.

I'm afraid this is what we will all have to put up with in the coming years, the population has been deliberately increased by successive governments in order to make it look like they are managing economic growth, but no one thought about infrastructure.

That complete mess of an junction at the other end of Newport m4/A48/A467 is just as bad, i use the A467 quite often and i wonder just how many people have come off the M4 westbound and due to the new road layout and its hopeless signing have ended up going back on the M4 west, its just as bad coming down the 467 to turn left onto the M4 east, they've made a huge junction but failed to put a filter left in place, so everyone has to stop.

But then when you look at the complete mayhem which surrounds Crumlin when the annual cycle race is on with the entire town cut off for the day, what else did anyone expect.

I suspect it will come to the point when another motorway around Newport will have to be built, whatever the cost, i get the feeling ( but haven't seen figures) that the whole section is busier since the Severn Tolls were removed.

We've got it in Northamptonshire just the same, every spare patch of green land where the very rich don't live is being built on, there are thousands of identical houses going up over the entire, not forgetting the must have huge warehouses stuffed to the rafters with either Chinese tat or food and new shopping centres...all this extra traffic having to use the same roads that couldn't cope 30 years ago.

This is going on all over the country (apart from The Cotswolds eh Dave?) every road you drive down there are houses being built on green land....look you've just passed The Meadows, well yes it was meadows for the last thousand years until you concreted over it!

Country is full, if you think its bad now have a look again in 20 years time when another 10 million people will be crammed onto the island at present levels, and that's if the UN don't impose their extra immigration plans on us via the UN pact for migration signed last year by our pointless leaders without even a by your leave.

N/A - Road management - RT

The problem are the NIMBYs - everyone wants higher capacity for roads without environmental issues.

There is another way - de-population - with half the people our road network would be fine - doesn't get many votes though.

N/A - Road management - nellyjak

The problem are the NIMBYs - everyone wants higher capacity for roads without environmental issues.

There is another way - de-population - with half the people our road network would be fine - doesn't get many votes though.

I'm not a NIMBY...I'm a banana...Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody...!!

N/A - Road management - CHarkin

Well it would get my vote. The population density in the UK is the highest in Europe, more than double that of France and Italy and at the current rate of increase we are heading for a problem. Its time governments reduced the push for economic growth and wealth and introduced an element of quality of life.

N/A - Road management - alan1302

The population density in the UK is the highest in Europe, more than double that of France

No, it's not.

Of the major European countries both the Netherlands and Belgium are higher.

N/A - Road management - Engineer Andy

I forgot to add earlier that many traffic jams emerge because people drive too close to one another and lane jump, especially by pushing in without warning. That, and rubbernecking and not paying attention to their side of the road or lane.

I find that people tend to speed up to quickly and then have to brake more shaprly at the next holdup, making the situation worse. Doing so more gradually, especially when you can see there's a hold up ahead, is, in my view, far safer and leads to less bunching.

The variable speed limits on motorways would work better if they were more up-to-date and people then adhered to them as well as giving eachother room, including enough to just back off on the accelerator rather than jam the brakes on.

N/A - Road management - CHarkin

Is there any evidence that congestion or pollution charges have any significant effect. Has solution gone down, is there any less congestion?

There is an argument that creating congestion and making journeys take longer is the best way to dissuade people using their cars.

N/A - Road management - galileo

Is there any evidence that congestion or pollution charges have any significant effect. Has solution gone down, is there any less congestion?

There is an argument that creating congestion and making journeys take longer is the best way to dissuade people using their cars.

Our local Authority has been following this policy for years with humps, pinch points, reducing 4 lane roads to 2 by inserting islands and cycle/bus lanes, trebling the number of traffic lights and revenue cameras, reducing 60 mph roads to 50, 50s to 40s and 40s to30s.

They still think car drivers are top-hatted capitalists oppressing the virtuous poor who have cycles if they are lucky or walk everywhere. (Buses, by the way, are too costly unless you have an aged person's free pass.).

No doubt comrade Corbyn will approve of their approach.

N/A - Road management - focussed

All of the above is one of the main reasons we decided to escape to rural France ten years ago. Even then the area where we lived in East Anglia was turning into a madhouse, more and more traffic jams, roads and dual carriageways all choked with traffic, endless swathes of industrial estates with the usual squadrons of delivery vans zooming about, constant traffic noise day and night, emergency vehicles on blues and twos constantly nee -nawwing etc.

I dread to think what it's like there now - nothing to go back there for, our kids have moved away to follow their careers in other parts of the country.

N/A - Road management - Snakey

Road management in the UK seems to be a policy of making life difficult. Every so called 'improvement' in my area has resulted in overnight additional congestion, which every commuter predicted.

So I can only assume its at the core of council/state mentality - motorists must be punished, roads should not be logical and efficient.

N/A - Road management - Bromptonaut

Now it seems to me the best solution would be to increase the speed of flow not decrease

to get though the bottle neck. This was born out I think when just average speed cameras were employed when they were putting the present system in. The motorway around Newport seemed to flow much better.

The average speed cameras were presumably set to 50. That seems to be an optimal speed for shifting volume of traffic smoothly.

M1 J16 to 19 is now all lane running 'smart motorway'. Before the work to do that started it was notorious for stop/start queuing without any apparent cause. As soon as the temporary 50 went in it ran much better. Cause of bunching weaving, heavy breaking etc in heavy traffic was mix of speeds from LGVs limited to 56 or less through to rep-mobiles trying to maintain 85.

N/A - Road management - sammy1

Yes I believe the average speed cameras were set to 50 and it flowed when set about 3 miles before the tunnels. Now we appear to have complete overkill by highways for the problem, multiple speed cameras set at varying speeds and vehicles braking to stop being flashed as low as 30 and this is supposed to be a motorway. I agree with lots of other comments that road managers are trying to justify their existence in some of the schemes motorists have to put up with. The M4 at Newport will continue to be a major problem, suggest you bring a packed lunch if you visit Wales at peak times!

N/A - Road management - concrete

I appreciate the environmental issues that affect decision making. But surely there must be some sensible forward thinking about this. Here in our village a developer is building 45 houses. They had to spend well into six figures to have newt fences, wildlife surveys and archaeological fishing expeditions. It doesn't actually cost the developer anything, the poor saps who will pay many hundreds of thousands for the houses all pay an extra 10K or so for this 'service'. In my past experience of building various things, including roads, the flora and forna takes little time to recolonise the areas affected. The same should go for motorways. My understanding is that major road verges are heavily colonised by wildlife because humans mostly avoid them. Surely after the initial construction phase the environment should be back to near normal fairly quickly. Some obvious disruption to the area but not usually irrecoverable and the needs of the local population should be paramount.

Cheers Concrete