Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Steve G
How many of you are brave enough to comment on other peoples poor driving while in the passenger seat ?
Whether its loved ones, friends or just someone test driving your car its so difficult to say 'your a bit close to the car in front' or 'this is a sharp bend ahead,slow down'.
I think it was Stirling Moss who said that calling a man a bad driver is like saying he's no good in bed ;-)
The worst scenario is when the driver talks on their mobile while driving. Its so obvious they are not in full control of the car. I feel so unsafe in this situation but still say nothing.I often find my right foot pressing against the bulkhead when the driver leaves the braking a bit late !

Fortunately I dont often travel as a passenger but when I do its usually possible to tell within the first half mile whether the driver is good or not.
Anyone feel the same ?
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - HF
100% feel the same, Steve!

I'm the world's worst passenger, but wouldn't dare to comment on anything the driver was doing that I didn't like. Not sure why, but I suppose it's because on the rare occasions I'm a passenger then it means the driver is doing me a favour, so I'd feel it impolite to say anything. Even 'can you slow down a bit?' seems a step too far in this situation. And I am constantly 'braking' too!

Maybe as drivers we all just feel far more in control when it's us in the driver's seat. I never felt the slightest bit nervous with any driver until I was involved in a minor accident once, and since then I've been terrible. Maybe it all stems from this in my case, but in any case I can sympathise with all your points!
HF
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Aprilia
I was once in a very badly driven car (fast, late braking, no anticipation). I asked him to slow down. He didn't like it, but better that than me in hospital.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Roger Jones
I once asked an appalling driver to stop and let me out so that I could walk the further mile to the railway station. If someone driving me started using a mobile phone, I'd do the same, whatever the circumstances. And get this: I once had someone pull out on me from the hard shoulder on a motorway -- pull out at 5 mph. Not long afterwards and off the motorway I swapped the driving with my passenger; that person then did exactly the same to someone else -- pulled out of an extended lay-by without making any attempt to match the speed of the passing traffic. Some people just don't learn.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - andymc {P}
I have no qualms about saying something if I think it needs to be said for safety reasons. Then again, I tend to avoid being a passenger as much as possible.
I have to admit that I do enjoy winding up female friends if I'm a passenger in their car by implicitly criticising their driving (no matter how good they actually are), which coming from a man is just the best way of lighting the blue touchpaper. Last week I was given a lift by a work acquaintance who I get on very well with, and after a couple of minutes I asked her "How long have you had your licence?" She nearly popped a blood vessel on the spot - priceless!
BTW this should only be done to people whose driving skills you know and respect.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Obsolete
About 10 years ago I and an Austrian colleague were given a lift from Rome to Calabria by an Italian in his small Fiat (500?). The road wound round mountain sides, with low cloud, rain, and steep drops on one side. The Italian went hurtling round bends at high speed with what seemed like no concern for our safety. The Austrian, in the front, was gripping the sides of his seat, and audibly wincing and trying, not very successfully, to suppress screams. I was terrified. I can't remember how I got back to Rome but it wasn't in a car driven by the Italian.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Blue {P}
What was that spoof advert again, where the Fiat plummets over the edge of a mountain?

Fiat, designed by computers, built by robots, driven by Italians.

Blue
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - HF
Mountain driving brings back a horrible experience for me!

Couple of years ago, on holiday with friend and kids in Majorca, for reasons unknown we missed the coach to the airport for flying home. Nice friendly hotel man offered us a lift, but in the meantime friend had spoken to a local taxi man. What I didn't know at the time was that he had bribed him with a huge tip to get us to the airport on time.

Most terrifying journey of my life, maximum speed along those mountainous roads and only pure luck saved us from serious consequences.

Luckily, our final night there had been such that I was still semi-comatosed, and along with me Flower Remedies that enabled me not to notice the danger until it was a memory.
HF
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Tomo
"Anyone feel the same ?"

Well, yes. I remember my brother's footboard springing under my fruitless passenger side braking; and he is pretty good.

I expect all our passengers do the same at times.

Tomo.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - TrevP
I understand the problem.

My golfing buddy is TERRIBLE. He drives with right foot down HARD on accelerator, then brakes HARD - and that's in the golf club car park.

After several years of complaining about nearly vomiting (and this having NO effect - he thinks his driving is normal), I refused to get in his car anymore.

This has had no effect - he says it's only me that complains.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Cliff Pope
It's odd that it seems to be only in relation to cars that this applies. It is usually possible to offer advice, or suggest better ways of doing things, or even offer mild criticism, in other circumstances without starting a row or giving deep offence.
When I once pointed out to my wife that driving at 50mph in a 30 zone, past a school bus discharging pupils, was not very sensible, she threw an almighty sulk and drove at a steady 25 for the rest of the journey. At the end she said, "There, was that better?"
What can one do?
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - pdc {P}
I used to be so pig headed in my younger days (and I've only just turned 30!) and if I was driving my mum around and she complained about my driving I would (stupidly) make my driving even worse, just to 'teach her a lesson'.

Since joining the IAM I no longer have people complaining and more often than not they comment on how much better it is to drive with me today. Shame my mum is no longer about to experience my new skills.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - paul swindon
I have learnt over the years that it pays to drive with consideration for your passengers and not just think of driving as a means of showing how fast you can go from A to B, i.e. slow down in advance of bends and accelerate as you come out, and generally drive appropriately for the conditions, anticipating pedestrians and incidents to avoid heavy braking or serious changes in direction to avoid other drivers etc.etc. Sounds too goody goody to be true but it works, if only other drivers showed as much consideration for others, the roads would be a much safer place.
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - TrevP
Cliff -

Say "Yes, thankyou" (and run?)
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - teabelly
Insist on getting in his car with a cup of ribena. If he drives harshly then it will end up all over his upholstery ;-) Or in fact carry out the threat to vomit.....that will stink out his car for ages! Has he ever been in a car with you? You could either give him a taste of his own medicine or drive like a saint and get to your destination quicker than he would have managed which will be really irritating for him. Mentioning ficticious research that suggests that poor drivers make poor lovers may also have an effect!
teabelly
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - dave18
Im terrible, I tell Mum to stop tailgating and my friend to drop down a gear all the time (she's the one with the 309 that she's adamant won't climb hills; I tell her that 2nd and 3rd are considerably better than 5th everywhere. She's a good driver otherwise.) Not that I can complain ;)
Being a passenger in a badly driven car - Peter
My wife is fond of driving around in 4th (Volvo 740) doing 50 in a 30 mph zone and complains about the fuel consumption. It is no good complaining as we take turns to drive home from the pub and I feel I could lose out.

I used to take a lady to work and she owned a Volvo 340 and could not understand why I got 40mpg out of my car whilst she only got 25ish. Turns out she also believed in low gears on the motorway and despite my pleadings we went all the way from Swindon to Bristol in third at around 60mph. Not an experience I repeated.

My worst experience as a passenger got me into trouble with the law. A friend in Edinburgh picked me up at Waverley station and on the way to his flat we stopped for a beer. Then we did 80mph through a housing estate and other urban roads before being stopped by the law, only to discover he had been drinking all afternoon. The police were keen to do me for aiding and abetting and it was only my rail ticket and visa slip that persuaded them I was newly arrived in town and therefore an innocent bystander.

Being a passenger in a badly driven car - smokie
I've been accompanying my learner daughter for practice (leaving the actual tuition to an expert). When I've pointed mistakes out, or she's had "near misses", she's always blamed someone else.

It must be great, knowing it all when you are so young...

(btw she passed this morning, and is currently buzzing around berkshire, so stay indoors if you live in the area!)
Being a passenger in your own car! - NorthernKev {P}
My mum is on my insurance and I let her drive it now and again. And I have never felt so scared. Whimpering almost as she pulls out infront of a car, then stops in the middle of the road.
Otherwise she is quite good, but I can't help feeling nervous.

What I hate though is helpful passengers pointing out the bus. Yes I'm young but not blind.
Only had two girls moan at my driving, everyone else accepts [I guess] that I'm ok.

I get a few passengers saying 'that was nice' when letting buses pull out or turn off the road if there's a queue behind him/her though...

Kev

Congrats to your daughter. I only blamed myself for my 6 minors, driving too slowly... who else could I blame?!
Poor drivers always have poor excuses...
Being a passenger in your own car! - Mondaywoe
I have an elderly aunt (84) who is diabolical, but doesn't recognise it. Now unfortunately, she constantly invites my mum (her sister - aged 77) out for trips with her. My mum has driven all her life until arthritis took it's toll recently and has always been pretty competent and safe.

Now the problem is, my mum is terrified with her sister and makes all sorts of excuses for not going out with her. On the few occasions when my aunt absolutely insists, she (my mum)comes back shattered. Problem is, you see, that she can't find a tactful way to criticise her sister's driving and she can't keep backing out of 'kind' offers of a lift in case she offends her!

I wonder if it's because my aunt is still my mum's 'big sister'?

Amusing - but worrying, because they are the sweetest pair of old ladies you could hope to meet and devoted to one another!

Graeme